In a Quandary...Budget Diesel Hatchback

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy my first diesel car. I am in confused state as I have to fulfill a lot of parameters to come up with the right car for me.

My buying period can be anywhere from Diwali to new year’s time. Or sooner if I am able to make up my mind.

Background:

I have been driving petrol cars since I can remember. For last few years, it has been petrol+cng. Driving in Delhi traffic is no joke, and constant reminder from temperature needle while slugging along in bumper to bumper traffic brings my heart to mouth. [shock]

My average running of appx 2000-2200 km per month doesnt help either. Being a sales professional, I have to travel on (& face) all kinds of road surfaces and undulations.

I have driven a few cars- Maruti 800, Esteem, i10, santro, city, indica(very briefly), swift. Out of these, I have extensively used swift & city on Cng. From my experience, the cng is not good on engines over a long period, having driven almost 2 Lakh km on cng(both cars combined).

Few things I dislike about cng:

1. Having to wait in line for your turn to fill cng at station. Although the number of cng stations have increased in delhi-ncr region, I always hate to wait in line when I am in a hurry. It's frustrating to say the least.

2. Limited range. Although it is sufficient most of the times, it is always nagging to have to visit the cng station every day.

3. Minimal to No space for luggage in outstation visits.

4. Personal Experience- Many times faced car overheating issues while in bumper to bumper traffic. Probably due to my ageing car.

So, current situation:

I have decided to go for a diesel car, due to my high monthly running and above factors.

My minimum requirements are:

1. Great fuel efficiency
2. Low maintenance cost
3. Go anywhere attitude, with decent ground clearance
4. Cheap spare parts
5. At least serve 5 years with little headaches
6. Decent resale value

My constrains are:

1. Budget: Max 5 Lakhs
2. Fuel: Diesel
3. Type: New (Do not want to buy used and then beat my head for constant repairs
4. Preference to latest launch models

Please suggest the best possible options available to me. Template filled below:

> Your Budget: 5 Lakh

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: New Delhi, India

> Top Five Priorities: Fuel efficiency, Low Maintenance, good resale, safety, reliability

> Monthly Running: 2,000 – 2200 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Regular Use

> Seating Capacity: 4- 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: Hatch

Re: In a quandary.... budget diesel hatch

Celerio diesel (MT) it is !!!

That is what my head says after reading your post.

You can even consider Indica CR4 and Chevy Beat too but these cars are likely to be discontinued soon.

Bolt and Zest are having good offers and even more on Diwali season. You can have one of them, stretching a little of your budget.

Try your luck with a Ritz LDi or VDi after a bit of stretching.
Or
Try to find out a Figo base variant; if available with any dealer.

Both the cars are way better than these Beat, Indica, Celerio and what not and can be had with heavy discounts, oo nly if your luck favors.

Other way is going used, try to find out a good used Swift, DZire, Liva, Amaze or Figo, you can have some brilliant examples between 3-5 lac

Else

If you can stretch a bit then I will suggest you look at the Liva (this is super reliable and even a used car with 15-20k kms on odo will run like a dream) whether new or used. It can take any kind of roads, it will give decent FE, has near negligible maintenance, Airbags are standard hence safety is good, ABS is standard in diesel variants; again safety and diesel variant can be had for a reasonably low price (if new).

Or Wait for new Figo, maybe the base diesel will come for around 6 lac on road in beginning; that will be a very sweet deal I tell you.

Last edited:

Or

Both the cars are way better than these Beat, Indica, Celerio and what not and can be had with heavy discounts, oo nly if your luck favors.

Other way is going used, try to find out a good used Swift, DZire, Liva, Amaze or Figo, you can have some brilliant examples between 3-5 lac

Else

If you can stretch a bit then I will suggest you look at the Liva (this is super reliable and even a used car with 15-20k kms on odo will run like a dream) whether new or used. It can take any kind of roads, it will give decent FE, has near negligible maintenance, Airbags are standard hence safety is good, ABS is standard in diesel variants; again safety and diesel variant can be had for a reasonably low price (if new).

Or Wait for new Figo, maybe the base diesel will come for around 6 lac on road in beginning; that will be a very sweet deal I tell you.
You left out grand i10 crdi bro!! Pretty decent I heard and liva is also good choice !!

You left out grand i10 crdi bro!! Pretty decent I heard and liva is also good choice !!
Because 'Safety' is also one of the requirements of OP [lol]

And Grand i10 which already surprised everyone by its poor bodyshell integrity gets ABS and airbags only in the top end Asta(O) trim [anger]

Last edited:

bolt is great choice. or Vista which is tried and tested (very reliable but taxi image)

Bolt is the best of the lot. I would vote it above the Celerio

Thread Starter #9

Or

Else

I am a bit apprehensive about used cars. I am fine if I know the person and vehicle history. A friend of mine has a 2011 Figo with appx. 40k on the odo. He won't sell the vehicle, or I would have taken it off his hands because I know he maintains his cars well.
But for my running and the peace of mind that I desire the most, I am currently not exploring used options. But if anybody knows of a genuine good deal, please do let me know. [:)]

New Figo is an interesting bit of news, any idea when is it going to launch, and starting price range for diesel?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I am a bit apprehensive about used cars.
I would say, it would be wise to wait for the upcoming Renault Kwid and Figo Hatch. Reason is, Kwid is a competitively featured product and as for Figo Hatch, with the reviews so far of the Figo Aspire, in terms of performance, even the hatch would be a nice and worthy choice.

Regards

Akash

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy my first diesel car. I am in confused state as I have to fulfill a lot of parameters to come up with the right car for me.

My buying period can be anywhere from Diwali to new year’s time. Or sooner if I am able to make up my mind.

> Top Five Priorities: Fuel efficiency, Low Maintenance, good resale, safety, reliability

> Monthly Running: 2,000 – 2200 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Regular Use

> Seating Capacity: 4- 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: Hatch
It appears to me atleast, that your priorities , if in a decreasing order from L to R, are almost the opposite of what they should be.
The first and foremost should be safety, reliability and the last should be fuel efficiency. If you have to breach that 5 lac budget for that purpose, so be it.
You will automatically get many more options in the 6-8 lac.

Thread Starter #13
Would it make sense to buy a petrol car (Alto, Kwid, i10), for my kind of running? This can help me remain under 5 Lakh on-road budget, maybe even less.

Top Bottom