Car For New Driver Under Rs.5 Lakh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
I'm a newbie driver, looking for a car with a budget of 4-5 lakhs. My daily driving would be around 15 km on Chennai's outskirts. There may be an occasional highway drive once every few months. Family of 4, kids below 10.

I prefer to have an automatic. Petrol is fine, since the usage is to be less. So, my choice was Alto K10. May be Celerio, if I can stretch my budget a bit further. If I include pre-owned cars, the choice becomes wider and I can choose from City, Verna, Santro Xing, i10/i20, Ritz etc.

Let me know which option is better. If it is pre-owned, what are the best places in Chennai/online to get good cars? (have read stories of how people get cheated)

Thread Starter #3
krishnavamshi24: Thank you. I read about the Kwid and saw their ads of bookings being open. But I wasn't sure if they would have an AMT during launch. Other apprehensions - 800cc engine over a body that looks large, Renault's service network. Will enquire with their dealers.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I'm a newbie driver, looking for a car with a budget of 4-5 lakhs. My daily driving would be around 15 km on Chennai's outskirts. There may be an occasional highway drive once every few months. Family of 4, kids below 10.
Since you are a new driver, would suggest you to go for a manual car and gradually once you develop the reflexes you may graduate to an Auto-Box.

I prefer to have an automatic. Petrol is fine, since the usage is to be less. So, my choice was Alto K10. May be Celerio, if I can stretch my budget a bit further. If I include pre-owned cars, the choice becomes wider and I can choose from City, Verna, Santro Xing, i10/i20, Ritz etc.
In these options I would opt for pre-owned, CITY and Verna would be good and spacious and in hatchback you'll evidently compromise on the space.

Let me know which option is better. If it is pre-owned, what are the best places in Chennai/online to get good cars? (have read stories of how people get cheated)
I would suggest go for verified car listings. Contact the owner/seller. When you check the vehicle, take a mechanic/friend with you for a valuable second opinion on the spot.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #5
Akash: Thank you, for the tips and details.

I'm 40, and so thought automatic would be easier to learn. Also, my wife can take the car when needed. I've read about how/why manuals are better though. Manuals offer more choice in both new/pre-owned categories and the price is lower too. Will take test drives in manuals/automatics and then decide.

And yeah, choosing sedans like City or Verna in the pre-owned category would be better, like you say.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I'm 40, and so thought automatic would be easier to learn. Also, my wife can take the car when needed. I've read about how/why manuals are better though.
See, indeed AT offer less strain when driven but for learners 1st thing is, the learner's cars are not equipped with AT, 2nd we here in India, for decades together we have been using both legs while driving to control ABC pedals so when suddenly you'll drive an AT, it has to be controlled only by right leg which takes time to get accustomed to. So driving an AT needs slightly different set of reflexes than an MT Car that is why I suggested for an MT.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Akash: Thank you, for the tips and details.

I'm 40, and so thought automatic would be easier to learn. Also, my wife can take the car when needed. I've read about how/why manuals are better though. Manuals offer more choice in both new/pre-owned categories and the price is lower too. Will take test drives in manuals/automatics and then decide.

And yeah, choosing sedans like City or Verna in the pre-owned category would be better, like you say.
Try Celerio as well, and on other note you might get a very low run (less than 5k) Honda Brio if you look around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie driver means a car with compact dimensions, low maintenance, good A.S.S. (because newbies screw up the parts and cars more than experienced drivers do) and a better all round visibility with ease of driving is a must.

I'd suggest new car only because maintaining a used car needs both money and experience. Better keep away from C segment cars, they will burn a big hole in your pocket if anything goes wrong and you never know where the used car can give way (sometimes the cars look awesome with some notoriety inside).
Manual Transmission:
  • Wagon R VXi will be the best for a new driver, super practical and a really durable product.
  • Celerio VXi is next choice, good car with good built and comfort

Automatic Transmission:
Celerio Automatic of course

New driver means you need to develop speed vs gear judgement, distance judge judgement, braking judgement & so on. Take my advice on two fronts- dont buy a used car unless you know the owner & how it has been maintained personally. Unls you want to drive to the garages often. Secondly, buy a tallboy. I would suggest the Wagon R manual. Easy to get in & out, you sit high so good visibility for learning. Cheap to maintain. All problems well known & sorted out

Drive carefully & only one advice which i got that i can pass on- listen to your gut when driving. If your gut says not to put your car somewhere, dont

Ameyam

For about 5.54 lakhs, the best choice is Celerio Vxi AMT. It has better space than Alto and gives more FE than all other brands (excluding Alto and Nano). Don't be deterred by rumors like jerky gear shift in Celerio, it is just a matter of learning to press the accelerator lightly. Just test drive it. You will love it.

Last edited:
Stingray is better looking than wagonR !! If you plan on checking , Consider it too !! You shouldn't have problems while driving anywhere as it is a super compact tallboy hatch.

As you are a new driver, I would suggest you to go to a driving school and learn driving and then buy a car. If you are going towards new car route, I would suggest Maruthi Wagonr or Chevrolet Beat. Both will fit your budget. Wagonr is a good car with no issues and for sure a fuss free ownership. Beat is also a good car and have a good build quality.. Also Chevy gives 3 year maintenance package. If you want an automatic, go for celerio which is a good option for your budget.

Coming to the used cars, I would suggest Honda city. I am also from Chennai. Go to capital honda in menambakkam, where there will be some good used city. You can go for 2010 or 2011 model for your budget. You can also opt for Honda's 7 year any time warranty.

So decision is yours.....

Thread Starter #13
Thanks for all your inputs. Went to driving school and have learnt driving. Finalized on Alto K10 AMT.

Coming to the price point, have got an on-road quote of Rs 4.6L (a 30K discount). Mudflaps, car cover free. May be Rs 4.5L would be the final price, if i go for a third party insurer (not the one the showroom recommends). Is this a good price? What other bargains can i ask for?

Last edited:
Alto k10 is not the best car to learn in. However, its cheap and cheaper to fix. So decision is upto you

Go for comprehensive insurance since you are a new driver. Dont compromise a few thousand rupees

Ameyam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom