Confused What Car? - Verna / Creta / Elantra / XUV 500

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am in the market for a new car and the car will be bought in November. Now the question is why I am starting a thread so early? Well, I really need to gather all the information I can before I actually purchase.

Now:

I need a car that must be from Verna/ Creta/ Elantra/ XUV 500. I will commute daily around 20 KM, on weekends roughly around 25 KM and for Getaway trips and commute to my hometown, that will come out 1000 KM per month as an average. It must be fuel efficient enough to not burn a hole in my pocket, must look good to appeal, be decent to drive and feature packed.

Contenders are:

Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 VTVT SX - 10.18 lakh Ex-showroom Price (New Delhi)

Hyundai Creta 1.6 SX Plus Petrol - 11.20 lakh Ex-showroom Price (New Delhi)

Hyundai Elantra 1.8 S - 14.43 lakh Ex-showroom Price (New Delhi)

Mahindra XUV500 W8 - 14.31 lakh Ex-showroom Price (New Delhi)

Thank you for your help in advance. [:)]

Thread Starter #2
Re: Confused What Car? - Verna / Creta/ Elantra / XUV 500

Here is look at the comparison among four:

Note: Please zoom to see the 2nd Picture

Attachments

Last edited:

You have 3 petrols and 1 diesel as shortlists so far, can you tell us the reason behind this short list and exclusion of the others ? Also budget wise you seem to be open to anything between 12-16 lakhs ?

Requirement isn't very clear.
If the question is on choosing a car out of same segment contenders, we shall discuss the Pros and Cons of each and decide which one will match your requirement. But here the case is to choose between 4 different segments, which isn't a easy task without understanding your requirement.

Yes I agree! These cars belong to different segments and it is impossible to suggest without knowing your requirement and expectation other than fuel efficiency !! Kindly elaborate further so that we could guide you .

Thread Starter #8

Hi, I am basically looking for a car which is in the range of 12-16 Lacs, should be fun to drive , feature packed. I have shortlisted these four based on my liking not necessarily on segment based. Any one of Petrol or Diesel engine will work for me.
This will be my first owned car
So why i have shortlisted these four:

Verna: I will get the top trim of Verna at around 11 OTR, so this is a deal breaker for me among the four but i am not so keen on buying Verna as it is the oldest of all. This one is on least priority but this one tops Value for money with 6 Airbags.

Creta: Now CRETA, i am following this one from the time when it got launched in China (ix25), once i saw it i was in love with it. I was eagerly waiting that when it will get launch in India. When it got launched i was little upset due to the prices but wait i have followed this car for so long, I am basically in love with Creta, this one will be my favourite among the four, but is this VFM for 12.5 OTR for 5-Seater and 2 Airbags?

Elantra: his one suggested to me by a friend then i have given it a thought, I like Elantra because of it's size and coupe like stance, Elantra has the presence on the road like no one other.

XUV 500: This one came into the list because of a thought that if Elantra why not the all new XUV 500, muscular build, cheetah style, 7 seater, Great highway cruiser, even bigger road presence, 6 Airbags. This has almost everything, but i don't know much about it's engine. That's why i am little bit confused about XUV.

My priority is basically:
SAFETY
FEATURES
VFM

Thread Starter #9

Also, please let me know if you can suggest some better choices based on my priority and budget.

For 12-16 lac and fuel choice is not a concern:
Go and buy a Corolla Petrol, it is head and shoulders above all the choices you have mentioned. With a good GC, low maintenance and brilliant drivability; the Corolla will easily tick all the boxes for you.

Hi, I am basically looking for a car which is in the range of 12-16 Lacs, should be fun to drive , feature packed. I have shortlisted these four based on my liking not necessarily on segment based. Any one of Petrol or Diesel engine will work for me.
This will be my first owned car
So why i have shortlisted these four:

Verna: I will get the top trim of Verna at around 11 OTR, so this is a deal breaker for me among the four but i am not so keen on buying Verna as it is the oldest of all. This one is on least priority but this one tops Value for money with 6 Airbags.

Creta: Now CRETA, i am following this one from the time when it got launched in China (ix25), once i saw it i was in love with it. I was eagerly waiting that when it will get launch in India. When it got launched i was little upset due to the prices but wait i have followed this car for so long, I am basically in love with Creta, this one will be my favourite among the four, but is this VFM for 12.5 OTR for 5-Seater and 2 Airbags?

Elantra: his one suggested to me by a friend then i have given it a thought, I like Elantra because of it's size and coupe like stance, Elantra has the presence on the road like no one other.

XUV 500: This one came into the list because of a thought that if Elantra why not the all new XUV 500, muscular build, cheetah style, 7 seater, Great highway cruiser, even bigger road presence, 6 Airbags. This has almost everything, but i don't know much about it's engine. That's why i am little bit confused about XUV.

My priority is basically:
SAFETY
FEATURES
VFM
Go with XUV 500 or if you can wait a bit wait for Hexa from Tata, People say its going to be a game changer.

For 12-16L, I'd suggest get Elantra P or Corolla P.

Both have decent engine, good drive-ability and looks good. Only place where Corolla shines is the engine durability! I have seen a lot of Corollas which are running fine even after 1.5L kms!! But I haven't seen many used Elantra's! So can't comment. But going by our ex-Santro which ran about 1.2L kms before we sold it off, I can say it is built for last.

Another major area where Corolla beats Elantra is, it is bit cheaper(by about 30-40%) when it comes to maintenance.

Now, where Elantra beats Corolla! Styling, Jaw dropping Interiors, Long list of features!

Choose between these two. XUV is too much for a mere 1000 km/month running! Verna's backseat is no match in front of Corolla/Elantra!

Now my question, why not VW Jetta? TSi is one hell of an engine to drive and it gives you smile on every ride. Only the service is a major hit or miss. Else, my pick will be Jetta!

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I think it will be safe to say that elantra will have a good structural stability if not better than the altis ?

I too would vote for the elantra. You will get some discounts as well.

Corrola's interior quality is nowhere near elantra.

Although corrola will have much lesser maintenance cost plus better resale than the elantra.

Elantra will give max of 10-11 kmpl in delhi traffic with 100% Ac.

Can't comment on Corrola's mileage.

Anyways there are many used sonata petrol too in the market for a mere 11 -13 lakhs. 2013 model with 10-20k on the odo. But again mileage will be around 5-6 at the max.

For 12-16L, I'd suggest get Elantra P or Corolla P.
Both the options are better than getting the Verna or XUV at least. [glasses]

Both have decent engine, good drive-ability and looks good. Only place where Corolla shines is the engine durability! I have seen a lot of Corollas which are running fine even after 1.5L kms!! But I haven't seen many used Elantra's! So can't comment. But going by our ex-Santro which ran about 1.2L kms before we sold it off, I can say it is built for last.
Corolla also offers a more comfortable seating all round, higher GC, better ride and handling, low maintenance costs and yes, the engine of Corolla is more responsive.

What Corolla doesn't offer and Elantra does:
  • Rear A/C vents (Yes, you read that right; Corolla hasn't got them)
  • Driver seat electric adjustment (Elantra gives it but Corolla doesn't)
  • Cooled seats and those audio control buttons on rear armrest
  • ESP

Else the front and rear seats of Elantra are not as good as Corolla by any ways. They may look better and snug but don't offer such a well balanced seating position and that's discovered in long journeys (My partner had an Elantra before he bought Fluence and I have driven Elantra on long routes too), the rear seat is placed low with a high window line and this is where the Corolla simply excels. There are many such small bits which I won't bother going to, the major ones I have put forward; TD both the vehicles to believe it.

Now, where Elantra beats Corolla! Styling, Jaw dropping Interiors, Long list of features!
Styling is subjective, I have seen people praising the styling of new Corolla; rest the styling of Hyundai doesn't need any introduction though.
Interiors are again a subjective thing, check the new Corolla, it has a classy appeal associated to it. Although it is close to the Elantra but still the fit and finish of Elantra is better.

Features: Well, Elantra is a Hyundai; need I say anything more? [;)]

Choose between these two. XUV is too much for a mere 1000 km/month running! Verna's backseat is no match in front of Corolla/Elantra!
+1000

Now my question, why not VW Jetta? TSi is one hell of an engine to drive and it gives you smile on every ride. Only the service is a major hit or miss. Else, my pick will be Jetta!
Jetta is an awesome choice IMO. Better all round comfort than Corolla or Elantra and the 1.4 TSi is a gem of an engine which can give a brilliant compromise between performance and fuel economy. Adding to this, Jetta offer 6 airbags, a stronger bodyshell and ESP with TCS altogether.[clap]

@AllHyundaiCars:

The FE figures of both the cars as per my experience are as follows (100% A/C):

Toyota Corolla 1.8:
  • City Driving - Dense Traffic (Say interior parts of Delhi): 7-9 kpl max
  • City Driving - Moderate Traffic (Say Ring Road etc): 10-11 kpl
  • Highway driving - Regular speeds of 80-120 kph: 13-15 kpl
  • Highway driving with heavy foot: 8-10 kpl max
  • Hills: 8-11 kpl max

Hyundai Eantra 1.8:
  • City Driving - Dense Traffic (Say interior parts of Delhi): 7-10 kpl max
  • City Driving - Moderate Traffic (Say Ring Road etc): 10-11 kpl
  • Highway driving - Regular speeds of 80-120 kph: 14-15 kpl
  • Highway driving with heavy foot: 7-9 kpl max
  • Hills: Unaware of it

All in all the FE for both the cars remains same in every state. These figures are identical to your Verna and that may surprise you. But this is because of taller gear ratios and lesser gearshifts required which help these bigger siblings score the FE figures identical to Verna. 15 pl is their peak IMO, things really don't get better if you maintain even 80-90 kph for whole day.
BTW Elantra is a heavier vehicle of the two by around 80 kgs.

Last edited:

Guess Vipul have lot of free times these days! That's some exhaustive reply dude!

Let me give my share of thought :

1. Elantra was a lot more better in terms of features, bling factor and plush-iness! While Corolla is not downright bare bone like Etios, for me, it feels like Corolla isn't made for 2015!! Yes, the interiors are decent, oodles of space and better back seat. But the quality is not letting me digest the price it demands!!

2. Corolla is much more fun to drive than Elantra! But I felt both of them are not even close to Jetta TSi(Never TD'ed Jetta TSi, but Vento/Rapid TSi a lot!). If I ask to choose a Petrol car between 12-16, it'll be Jetta, only if my city's VW service is decent. Else, I choose Elantra. Because I am kinda addicted to Hyundai quality!!!!

3. One serious point to note.Toyota's A.S.S is seriously one of the best in India. In fact, we need to applaud Toyota for their effort(wish they put same in product design and strategy) in keeping it at same level all these years, whereas other manufacturers forget about it! So, if you are seriously concerned about A.S.S, maintenance costs, spares etc, go with Toyota eyes closed!

While keeping it all in mind, also understand, Safety should precede over Styling. While Corolla has lot more plus-es, Elantra scores well in Safety department. Elantra(Top end MT/AT) offers 6 Airbags, ABS+EBD, ESP, HHC! Hell, even Corolla misses out on Cruise Control on their top MT!

If I were in your shoe, I cry inside for missing out Toyota's awesome service experience, and go with Elantra. Or, If I am too confident and trust VW, I'd go with VW Jetta! Why? It gives everything Elantra offers + TC and lot more niceties.

So choose wisely!![;)]

Top Bottom