Which MUV For My Dad?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Folks.

I am in the market looking for a 7 seater car. This car will be mostly driven by my dad which is the reason I am not very keen on getting an SUV. I am not very sure if I would be going for a petrol or diesel variant (will mostly be a Diesel). Whatever model I buy, it has to have Airbags+ABS.

I am not quite updated with the upcoming launches and neither have I gone through the long term reviews posted by our members. So pitch in your ideas.

Cars Shortlisted by me:

• Maruti Ertiga: My choice. The ZDI model is less that 9 lacs (Ex.showroom Nagpur) with all bells and whistles. Any news of the facelift version launching later this year?
  • Honda Mobilo: Dads Choice. He is a big time Honda fan. I personally find Mobilo not very attractively packaged. Reason being, V variant, I am interested in is about 1.5lacs more than the Ertiga which is far more decently equipped. And the worst part about it is the dash which has no appeal at all[roll].
  • Toyota Innova: I am presuming there is a new variant coming. I would love to buy this, however, dad would be doing most of the driving and sadly he has never been a fan of Innova when it comes to driving. (Yes, he is a petrol head too[lol]).

Did i miss anything? Any more options?

Last edited:
Re: Which MUV for Dad?

Ertiga perfect choice for your Dad Akash !! I heard that facelift is on the line . Also take a look at new XUV500, my dads friend bought recently and man what a SUV[:)]!! mobilio is good but no way better than Ertiga (personal feel).If it is a SUV ,then it has to be an Innova I've been told

Maruti Ertiga is the better choice of the three. It has got a refined petrol engine, offers car like ride, handling & driving experience. Even though Mobilo has a high rpm friendly petrol engine, it doesn't score high on dashboard design, front seats & NVH level. More over Mobilo shares a similar front end design with Amaze & Brio.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Akash I would say if you can wait for couple of months then you may check out the Face-lift Innova else if need is urgent, I would say go for Maruti Ertiga. Though the Face-lift Ertiga with an AMT has been in testing but no clear cut date of launch been given at present.

Regards

Akash

If he likes mobilio, let him go for it. It's a no nonsense car. Petrol or diesel, mobilio has better engines than ertiga. Driving it in city or highway, it handles beautifully and brakes do their job perfectly well. It's the only car I can sit in the 3rd row without digging my knees into second row or rub my head into the roof, offers decent comfort. Sure, the interiors aren't special but they are easy to use and extremely practical.

We initially booked ertiga and almost bought it. A test drive of mobilio changed our mind almost immediately. It's been a year and 20000kms, and there has been no regrets. If I could go back in time, I'd still buy a mobilio again.

Ertiga facelift will launch soon. Innova facelift will launch in 2016 as it is overpriced new variant will be even more priced. Why not try a Renault Lodgy?

Only innova is a proper seven seater with all comforts for those longish rides. If Kids are going to use the third row of seat for most of the time you can consider mobilio and ertiga.
Innova is ridiculously priced with spartan interiors, even after paying 16 lakhs there is not an basic audio system in innova.
My alternate suggestion is Xuv which is a comfortable suv with all gizmos and comfort, mobilio is already a bit dud in market which will surely will not have any takers in the future.

Only innova is a proper seven seater with all comforts for those longish rides. If Kids are going to use the third row of seat for most of the time you can consider mobilio and ertiga.
Innova is ridiculously priced with spartan interiors, even after paying 16 lakhs there is not an basic audio system in innova.
My alternate suggestion is Xuv which is a comfortable suv with all gizmos and comfort, mobilio is already a bit dud in market which will surely will not have any takers in the future.
Evalia is a sales dud. Mobilio just sells less. Part of the reason is, Honda favouring city over models like Brio, Amaze, Mobilio.

Thread Starter #10
Ertiga perfect choice for your Dad Akash !! I heard that facelift is on the line . Also take a look at new XUV500, my dads friend bought recently and man what a SUV[:)]!! mobilio is good but no way better than Ertiga (personal feel).If it is a SUV ,then it has to be an Innova I've been told��
I have driven Ertiga and what i loved about that MUV is the car like driving feel. I am a big time Innova fan, but Dad will be driving most of the time which is why he is against it. But definitely, he will be test driving it before we go for it.

Maruti Ertiga is the better choice of the three. It has got a refined petrol engine, offers car like ride, handling & driving experience. Even though Mobilo has a high rpm friendly petrol engine, it doesn't score high on dashboard design, front seats & NVH level. More over Mobilo shares a similar front end design with Amaze & Brio.
I really want to TD the Mobilo to find out how it is. I hate its dashboard, but if dad like it, I will mostly give in[:)].

Akash I would say if you can wait for couple of months then you may check out the Face-lift Innova else if need is urgent, I would say go for Maruti Ertiga.
An AMT Ertiga[roll]. Now that sounds good. I am sure an autobox would be something to consider. Again, dad has been a petrolhead, he loves stick shift!

If he likes mobilio, let him go for it. It's a no nonsense car. Petrol or diesel, mobilio has better engines than ertiga. Driving it in city or highway, it handles beautifully and brakes do their job perfectly well...
Hope you have posted an ownership review because I am heading to that section right away.

Ertiga facelift will launch soon. Innova facelift will launch in 2016 as it is overpriced new variant will be even more priced. Why not try a Renault Lodgy?
Renault Lodgy is too boxy for his taste. I know neither of the ones in my list could ever be nominated for a beauty contest, but they look ok.

Trust me, my dad has ditto same opinion about Innova. We have had Innova for quite a long time and trust me, you always want to be in the passenger seat on a long drive, its so comfortable. But when it comes to driving, it feels as if you are driving a van.
XUV5OO would have been the first choice if it was me, but dad is strictly against an SUV!

Well If you can afford it, go for the Mobilio and if you can wait for wait for the Ertiga Facelift which should be launched next month.
Till now its a 1-1 between Ertiga and Mobilo.

How about Aria pleasure 4x2? which is a better/proper 7 seater. And it drives like a car. (If you want to buy it now itself)
or
Wait for the TATA's upcoming Aria facelift (TATA eagle) with its advanced 6 speed gearbox and 160 bhp engine, i think it will be a nice package to buy and the safety options it provides over its competitors, etc.

Tata Aria enters with new face as Hexa. This should be great crossover and vfm. However the price bracket would be to compete Innova. If budget permits it is worth for a wait. Otherwise Ertiga is most vfm you can choose for.

Renault Lodgy is an excellent MUV, and has the best ride quality amongst all the MUVs mentioned. It is well built too, and has a proven and frugal diesel engine (K9K). The power delivery is much more linear than an MJD from Maruti The NVH levels are also great.

@Akash:
I would suggest you to look no further than Mobilio if its your Dad who will be driving. Why so? Of the whole lot of UV's in the segment it is the Mobilio which is most comfortable to drive. The steering is well calibrated to be light in city and reasonably weighted in highways.
  • The driving position is really very good and comfortable and finding the perfect position is never an issue.
  • All round visibility is already the best in Mobilio
  • The engine is nice and tractable, negligible turbo lag helps here
  • Dash may look awkward but the placement of buttons or switches is simply perfect. Ergonomics are simply faultless and everything is well within the reach of the driver. I don't think except the Innova, any other UV has such well laid switches and buttons.

All in all, if it is for your Dad (I am expecting a 50 or 55+ aged gentleman who has driving comfort, decent performance and FE as his peak requirements) then it has to be the Mobilio of the lot. If function over form is anything then it has to be Mobilio over others here.

Last edited:

Top Bottom