Upgrading To SUV / MUV For Rs.10 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,
I own a Marugi Wagon R (petrol) since 5 years and now want to buy another, an upgraded one - to a SUV/MUV.
I have, rather say my family have motion sickness. We all feel sick (dizziness, vomit) in buses, SUV like innova, scorpio, XUV etc. initially i thought it was diesel but last time we drove in my friend's Swift diesel and we weren't sick at all. So finally I find the problem is with vehicle troll and the float in hindi we call 'Jhool'.

My monthly usage is roughly 1500 kms, this consist of weekend tour of 300 kms (not all weekends though) and rest city ride. I want a least maintenance car, high performance and safety(ABS, EBD, AIR bags) as foremost priority.
Max Price 9-10L.
Some vehicle I was considering
Renault Duster, Hyundai Creta, Ford Ecosport, Honda Mobilio.

So I want suggestion regarding a new car considering my problem.

Thanks
Adi

I guess Ecosport diesel will fit your budget pretty well!! All others you mentioned will be base petrol or next to base model which probably won't pack airbags and ABS .Correct me if am wrong anyone!!Anything less than 1000 kms per month I would suggest a petrol car.Just Test drive those cars with your family and then decide.Take a look at Ford Aspire titanium plus variant it has six airbags costing little less than 10 lakh rupee.

Thanks.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Sarath,
I will do TD of Ecosport and Creta Base petrol.
Creta Base petrol is 9.9 on-road in jaipur, have ABS, EBD, but no Airbag

I have heard a lot about Ford Figo Aspire, but I would have gone for City any day with eyes closed but I don't want a sedan.
I want is either a premium hatchback or SUV, don't mind petrol/diesel, my main consideration is our sickness, it really weird.

Also considering my budget what would you suggest may be in hatchback segment?

@Adi4car:
If you want an SUV then it has to be Ecosport. Ecosport has the least body roll of the lot and is prices least too.

If you want even more space, rear air con vents and more flexibility then go and try Ertiga. It rolls really very less and is a reliable, frugal and maintenance free diesel vehicle. Adding to this, you will get ABS and Airbags loaded ZDi variant perfectly under your budget.

If you can stretch a bit then you can try S-Cross Zeta too.

Hatchback:
Look for nothing else except Elite i20 Asta CRDi or Honda Jazz diesek in SV or higher avatars and you will be happy.

Last edited:
I think Renault Duster or Nissan Terrano is better suited for motion sickness. It has got the best ride, minimal body roll, good handling & feels planted (all the "4" are important factors to prevent motion sickness). A lower variant of Duster / Terrano should fit your budget & both has got good discounts. It's better to avoid SUV/MUV's which has got stiff or soft suspension & ladder frame chassis as they don't feature all the "4" or one of them. But if you are planning for a fully loaded model under 10Lakh then Ertiga is a good option.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Thanks TSIVipul
You reply really answered my biggest problem. The higher model have airbags ()
Ertiga also seems good, have checked the autoportals and is decent priced, i guess it has same engine that in swift. But don't you think the more bulky body of Ertiga on the same engine will hamper the performance (may be a nerd question [:)] )?

Also please let me know what benefit diesel have over petrol except for the pricey think. I know it a very debateable question, sorry for that. But what I know is diesel engines requires more of maintenance and have poor NVH.

I will go for TD Ecosport tomorrow, will let you know how was it.

Thanks Sakthivel Rajendran,
You are right but the model having safety features for these SUVs are very high priced, way ahead of my budget.
I don't want a feature rich, but i rather think safety features like ABS, EBD, airbags (atleast 2) should be made compulsory. [:)]

Thanks TSIVipul
You reply really answered my biggest problem. The higher model have airbags ()
Ertiga also seems good, have checked the autoportals and is decent priced, i guess it has same engine that in swift. But don't you think the more bulky body of Ertiga on the same engine will hamper the performance (may be a nerd question [:)] )?

Also please let me know what benefit diesel have over petrol except for the pricey think. I know it a very debateable question, sorry for that. But what I know is diesel engines requires more of maintenance and have poor NVH.

I will go for TD Ecosport tomorrow, will let you know how was it.
Drive it to believe it; Ertiga diesel is a very responsive vehicle. The engine block is same as of Swift but the power and torque specs are higher and the torque is better spread too. It is nearly as quick as a Swift in terms of performance.

Your running is 1500 kilometres a month and this is where the diesel will give you the benefit. Petrol Ertiga won't give you even 14-15 kpl on highways while the diesel one can deliver even 20 if driven sanely.

NVH is well under control and is better than the Swift at least and maintenance is also similar to that if Swift itself, nothing to worry I mean.

Since you need ABS and Airbags, so Ertiga ZDi is the one which perfectly fits your budget and won't burn a hole in your pocket in buying, ownership or even resale. In fact be it Creta, Duster, Ecosport and what not, none will give you the ABS and Airbags combo at the price and the flexibility of an Ertiga will simply win over you. Believe me, for carrying four-five people in supreme comfort, nothing comes close at the money in compact MUV/SUV guise.

Need more comfort:
Middle row is on rails, push them back on rails and recline the middle row seats as per your comfort, remove the third row and use the space as a BIG boot, things really can't get better and more practical for 10 lac rupees.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Sarath,
I will do TD of Ecosport and Creta Base petrol.
Creta Base petrol is 9.9 on-road in jaipur, have ABS, EBD, but no Airbag

I have heard a lot about Ford Figo Aspire, but I would have gone for City any day with eyes closed but I don't want a sedan.
I want is either a premium hatchback or SUV, don't mind petrol/diesel, my main consideration is our sickness, it really weird.

Also considering my budget what would you suggest may be in hatchback segment?
FYI I own a City Ivtec☺.Jazz has spacious interiors than i20 Elite .Both cars have good dynamics that you won't feel tossed around over tarmac. If you are okay with petrol means Duster / Terrano will also do justice!! They offer brilliant ride quality (better than most of the cars inside 10 lakh rupees) You don't feel most of the bumps and potholes.
So in hatch Jazz Diesel VX or Elite i20 Asta, SUV Ertiga as TSIVipul said Duster and Ecosport diesel.S cross will cross your budget I guess. You will get lot of discounts starting this month if you are not in a hurry please wait a month,the discounts will be even better.Petrol SUVs mileage will be low except ertiga and not so fun to drive(resale too) as compared to the diesel counterparts. Do keep that in mind.

PS : Choose a vehicle that has Biege interior all around , Believe me you will feel better than all black upholstery ! Been there .

Thread Starter #9
Thanks TSIVipul and Sarath01,
Very well described on each aspect, Experience speaks. [:)]
Ertiga seems impressive and that too with top model in my budget.
So i have shortlisted Ertiga, Ecosport and also Elite i20 Asta. Will do a TD for each.

I too want to take the advantage of festive discounts of Ganesh chaturthi this month or then in Navratra next month, if not possible this month.

I don't like driving too much in city, its always pain in traffic. But since last month, I started enjoying a bit, driving on highways as my wife is posted 150 kms away. And this is the main reason for the new car.

In fact, Biege interior gives a classy look, i will surely go for it, if I have the chance.

Adi

But what I know is diesel engines requires more of maintenance and have poor NVH..
The current generation diesel Cars/Suv's have better NVH because of better insulation and common rail diesel engines and as far as the maintenance is concerned the engine oil, oil filter & fuel filter(periodic service) are marginally higher. The Clucth & timing belt (on the longer run) is on the higher price bracket compared to the petrol ones.

Yes Ertiga seems to suit you better !! I think it is due for a facelift with some exterior treatments as well !! Enquire the dealer .

Happy to help☺

Thanks TSIVipul and Sarath01,
Very well described on each aspect, Experience speaks. [:)]
Ertiga seems impressive and that too with top model in my budget.
So i have shortlisted Ertiga, Ecosport and also Elite i20 Asta. Will do a TD for each.

I too want to take the advantage of festive discounts of Ganesh chaturthi this month or then in Navratra next month, if not possible this month.

I don't like driving too much in city, its always pain in traffic. But since last month, I started enjoying a bit, driving on highways as my wife is posted 150 kms away. And this is the main reason for the new car.

In fact, Biege interior gives a classy look, i will surely go for it, if I have the chance.

Adi
I have been to Jaipur numerous times in past and going by the roads around, I'd say that an Ertiga will be more than enough (if you don't do 160+ kph speeds often).

No one should blame me saying that I am favouring Ertiga, the points I write now are indeed true.

City driving: The tall stroke MJD diesel engine of Ertiga is perfect for city driving with a brilliant low end punch.
Highway driving: Quick progress and good dynamics help Ertiga here. Overtaking another vehicle even at 120 kph is also not a big issue.
Long term maintenance and reliability: There are Ertigas with yellow plate serving as company shuttles with 1-1.5 lac kms on odo or even more and still the engine is untouched.
Beige Interior: Which car has it more than Ertiga? Ertiga is having beige all around, check it to believe it.

Try your luck in navratras or near Diwali and you will get a good deal easily.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Hello All,
Enquired about the on road price of Ertiga zdi, is approx 11 L and that for vdi is approx 10 L. 1 lakh for airbags and some goodies. No-one in my family like its look [confused]
Ecosport titanium will be 11.5, bit beyond my budget, how about the top petrol model? its 10.25. Waiting period is 10-15 days for petrol and approx 1 month for diesel.
Have checked the Jazz VX model on-road 9.57.
I want to close between Ecosport and Jazz.

Waiting for the ford guys for TD call.

On a side question, I am getting 2.25 for Wagon R LXi (2010), 15K on odo, is it good?
- Ford is paying 25k exchange bonus also for my wagon R. No bonus from Honda.

Last edited:
Hello All,
Enquired about the on road price of Ertiga zdi, is approx 11 L and that for vdi is approx 10 L. 1 lakh for airbags and some goodies. No-one in my family like its look [confused]
Ecosport titanium will be 11.5, bit beyond my budget, how about the top petrol model? its 10.25. Waiting period is 10-15 days for petrol and approx 1 month for diesel.
Have checked the Jazz VX model on-road 9.57.
I want to close between Ecosport and Jazz.

Waiting for the ford guys for TD call.

On a side question, I am getting 2.25 for Wagon R LXi (2010), 15K on odo, is it good?
- Ford is paying 25k exchange bonus also for my wagon R. No bonus from Honda.
Jazz Diesel will fetch you better mileage in the long run than Ecosport petrol. Price for WagonR is a steal I should say! But don't fall for that alone. Ford petrols have low resale compared to diesels. Let us know after TD Ecosport and Jazz .

If you want a MUV aria is also a very good one. and that too a real muv with usable 3rd row space and mighty engine and real comfortable ride. Now upgraded Hexa is to be launched Dont know when. but it would be by year end. But then it would be north of 10 L.

Other SUVs you can look at is Storme EX dont look for LX. Or Safari Dicor which has its own charm and you will get mid variant around your budget. (logical to go for Storme)

Have alook at TUV300.

Top Bottom