Buying Best Performance Car Under Rs.8 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
My budget is around 8 lakhs.
I currently own a Tata Indica Vista Petrol (One with FIAT Safire Engine).
This one is probably the worst car on Indian roads in terms of Performance (65BHP engine with some 1100 kg weight).

Following are my requirements:

1. Best Power to Weight or Torque to Weight Ratio. Should be fast and easy to overtake slow moving vehicles.
2. Excellent drivability
3. Best steering feedback
4. Powerful AC
5. Excellent brakes
6. Good boot space
7. Basic safety features (1/2 Airbags, ABS)
8. Better fit and finish than a TATA Vista car (Probably almost all other cars qualify)
9. NVH - No Vibrations (I am all-right with engine Noise and Harshness)

I really don't care about:
1. High tech features like Touch screen displays or navigation.
2. Fuel economy as my running will not be more than 500 kms a month.
3. Other niceties like Start stop button, Automatic folding mirrors, music system quality, Automatic Climate control etc.

All I need is a powerful car.

I am open to both Petrol and Diesel fuel types.
Am also open to Hatchback or Sedan (SUV is out of question with my budget).
I prefer new car but I am okay if I get a fast used car.

I have test driven:
1. Switft Petrol (VXI)
2. Swift Diesel (LDI)
3. Grand i10 Petrol (Sportz)
4. Toyota Etios (1.5 L Petrol)

I felt Etios the best to drive among these but the quality of materials in the car is really basic (Similar to my Vista).
I also liked the sheer surge of the Swift Diesel but boot space is not good.

Any other models (Or Used cars?)

Re: Wish to buy car with best performance under 8L

Of all the cars I have driven till date under the said budget, I will recommend only three if sheer performance is the top priority and features can be compromised a bit:
  • Ford Figo Aspire 1.5 Diesel
  • VW Polo 1.5 TDi
  • Toyota Etios 1.5 V

These three have got decent dynamics, comfortable driving position, enough passenger space and a lot of performance [evil]

Fast Used Car; For 8 ac you can have a lot of really 'fast' used cars:
  • VW Vento/Rapid
  • Honda City i-vtec
  • Honda Civic i-vtec
  • Honda Accord i-vtec
  • Honda CR-V
  • Skoda Laura TSi
  • Chevrolet Cruze
  • VW GT TSi
  • VW GT TDi

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Wish to buy car with best performance under 8L

Of all the cars I have driven till date under the said budget, I will recommend only three if sheer performance is the top priority and features can be compromised a bit:
  • Ford Figo Aspire 1.5 Diesel
  • VW Polo 1.5 TDi
  • Toyota Etios 1.5 V

These three have got decent dynamics, comfortable driving position, enough passenger space and a lot of performance [evil]

Fast Used Car; For 8 ac you can have a lot of really 'fast' used cars:
  • VW Vento/Rapid
  • Honda City i-vtec
  • Honda Civic i-vtec
  • Honda Accord i-vtec
  • Honda CR-V
  • Skoda Laura TSi
  • Chevrolet Cruze
  • VW GT TSi
  • VW GT TDi
Thanks much TSIVipul.

I will TD Polo TDI and Aspire.

Got a chance to drive friend's Polo Petrol 2 years back... but I was not impressed.

But somehow I am getting more and more inclined towards Polo Diesel.

Last edited:
AFA performance is concerned, don't forget to TD the ePunto ,Also, Fiat is launching Abarth punto in this october. On performance front Abarths are known to leave the competition biting the dust.

Last edited:
Powerful car no requirement on space i think Polo TDI is the one for you, Aspire well :) test drive the car but Polo TDI should do better. USP of Aspire is Six Airbags on titanium plus version Space Tata Zest and Amaze Driveability Amaze and Dzire After Sales Support Amaze and Dzire and Xcent. Bolt could have been a choice if only they had given the 90 bhp on it.

Thread Starter #7
Did you try the Punto and the Bolt? they are very good cars and fun to drive as well.
No I have not tried the Punto or Bolt. I have burned my fingers by buying a Tata car. So, I am really scared to go for any Tata car in future :)

I will try the Punto. Thanks for your response.

Powerful car no requirement on space i think Polo TDI is the one for you, Aspire well :) test drive the car but Polo TDI should do better. USP of Aspire is Six Airbags on titanium plus version Space Tata Zest and Amaze Driveability Amaze and Dzire After Sales Support Amaze and Dzire and Xcent. Bolt could have been a choice if only they had given the 90 bhp on it.
Thanks much for the response.

I am surely going to TD the Polo TDI and Aspire.

Never thought about the Amaze. Will try this one too.

I have driven friend's Grand i10 a lot and I liked its punchy engine. XCent should be similar to drive I guess. So yes, XCent is also an option I am considering.

I have decided not to buy a Tata car ever (Currently have Indica Vista Petrol). So bolt (Another Vista) or Zest is out of question for me.

The new polo even comes with Cruise Control so have a look at it, i have suggested polo since you're interested in pure performance and Polo comes first in Handling, Performance, Stability only things against it are VW ASS (Ford is a lil better here) and Rear Space.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
AFA performance is concerned, don't forget to TD the ePunto ,Also, Fiat is launching Abarth punto in this october. On performance front Abarths are known to leave the competition biting the dust.
Thank you Sir!

I also heard Maruti is coming up with 1.4 L K Series engine car (Baleno / YRA) but do not when. I can wait for 1.4L punchy engine.

A sparingly used well maintained Civic will suit your requirement to the T. It is fast, reliable, fun to drive. It is a Honda, so spares are not a problem. You will have money left to mod it further or utilise elsewhere.

Thread Starter #11
A sparingly used well maintained Civic will suit your requirement to the T. It is fast, reliable, fun to drive. It is a Honda, so spares are not a problem. You will have money left to mod it further or utilise elsewhere.
Thanks much for your response.
Always felt Civic to be well above my level (Car which I can only dream of).
I really love the speedometer of the CIVIC. Never got a chance to drive though. I will try to find one for a Test Drive.

Bro
If your monthly running is less, you don't care about interiors and body shell strength then go for etios petrol. Maintenance is cheap.
The aspire diesel, boy o boy what an engine.
Not sure about long term reliability but its a hoot to drive.
VW makes good cars, but in india most of these service centres rip you off. Its applicable to any company if we are not alert , but you can check the spares rates to get an idea.
If you are not in a hurry , you can wait for punto tjet. It takes less than 10 secs to 100kmph.
So it depends on how long you are willing to keep the vehicle.

I would suggest you Polo TDI . And yes Aspire and Punto tjet are equally competent vehicles .And bro there are things that make you happy other than speedo in civic[;)].You will be definitely amazed by its incredible rev happy engine[:D]

Thread Starter #15
As I am hunting for a new car... I also came across some used (2003-2007 Mfg range) Mercs (C,E class) from 5-10 L with about 50k to 1L on the ODO (On internet, carwale etc sites).
These 10 odd years old Mercs have all the features we see as "advanced" features on our new cars (ABS, Air Bags, Power windows, Power steering, EPS, Rear ACs and more).
Owning a Merc is a dream and the price just sounds tempting.

Is it worth buying old German cars? Does anyone have experience with such purchases?
Also, assuming I get a good car initially, how much (Roughly/Year) should I keep aside for maintenance?

I am aware that Odo tampering is very much probable in such deals.

Top Bottom