Maruti Swift or VW Polo or Hyundai i20?

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends thanks for your previous replies and Advises.
Now i plan to buy a pre owned car and do little mods.I am going to Gift the car to my own brother.But i need to maintain that car for 3 years.Because my Brother is Studying Engineering.

Advised needed :
1)Fuel :
What to choose Diesel or Petrol ?
Which one is trouble free ?
I expect mileage 18+.

2)Maintenance & Availablity of Spares :
Which one is Trouble free car ?
Available of spares in market ?
Maintenance cost for 10000 kms ? (approx)

3)Ride quality :
I want a luxury ride quality.Which car provides ride quality like a luxury car on indian roads ?

My plan to Mod :
1)My brother always like Black.So repaint to Black.
2)Alloys and High performance tyres,
3)Rear Spoiler.
4)Decent Body stickers or Two white lines.
5)Heavy Music and Hid lights ? (HID's are legal ?)
6)Sporty look seats or Sparco type seats.
7)Change in exhaust for Sound like Race car.
8)Sporty streeing wheel and Gear knobs.

Thats it Friends.Can you suggest me a car and Clear my Doubts.

Re: Maruti Swift or VW Polo or Hyundai I20.Help me to Gift a car to my Brother.

Well, the answers are as below.

Advised needed :
1)Fuel :
What to choose Diesel or Petrol ?
Which one is trouble free ?
I expect mileage 18+.
It depends, how much you travel and where you travel (City or Highway). Say for example, If you travel more or less 1000 kms/month, petrol car may serve you good. But don't expect a constant 18+ in Petrol car, even if you are a sedate driver. Petrol cars usually gives more consistency in long run. Less Premium, Less Insurance and Less maintenance too.

Maintenance & Availablity of Spares :
Which one is Trouble free car ?
Available of spares in market ?
Maintenance cost for 10000 kms ? (approx)
There's a No trouble free car in the world. You will have some kind of troubles with every car. And all three cars you've mentioned are prone to have troubles at one point of their lifetime. However, Maruti and Hyundai having wide network and their spares also easily available. Regarding VW, if you are living in a city or you have service area within your reachable, it wont be a big problem either.

Maintenance cost will be again, depends on how much you travel, the way you ride etc. Usually Hyundai and Maruti will service their cars atleast once in 6 months. And VW service their cars once in a year/15000 KMs. Usually, the service and spare parts of VW are bit higher than others. But their build quality is higher than other two.

Ride quality :
I want a luxury ride quality.Which car provides ride quality like a luxury car on indian roads ?
Can you define the luxury you want? Features wise, Hyundai is bit ahead, but the premium also bit higher for their cars. VW Polo is surely an eye catcher and it's an enthusiast's car with good comfort. But the rear bench doesn't have good space. Swift's Petrol and Diesel engines are known for the consistency and good riding, but don't expect any luxury.

My plan to Mod :
1)My brother always like Black.So repaint to Black.
2)Alloys and High performance tyres,
3)Rear Spoiler.
4)Decent Body stickers or Two white lines.
5)Heavy Music and Hid lights ? (HID's are legal ?)
6)Sporty look seats or Sparco type seats.
7)Change in exhaust for Sound like Race car.
8)Sporty streeing wheel and Gear knobs.
As for my knowledge is concerned, you need the permission from RTO to paint the different colour. However, It's not worth to spend that much of amount (Usually 25 to 30 K). Instead, you should look for a black colored car.

High performance tryes usually kill the milleage. So, you shouldn't expect a good millage if you are going for them.

Vinyl Stickers easily available with any decors shop for any car. So, you don't need to worry on that.

Heavy Music speakers or such is not recommended in the cars and It's illegal to play such in automobiles. Moreover, it distracts the driver's attention. A decent sounding speakers is good.

Too much of lighting distracts other drivers ridablitly. So, it would be nice to keep the stock lightnings or at least permitted lighting.

We have too many car decor shops these days. They will fix you whatever type of seats you wants. Or else, you can go through online shops for any modifications that you needed.

Changing the exhaust of the car is not advisable. It may affects your engine and the millage and moreover, a nuisance for others.

I wouldn't recommend to change the steering wheel and gear knobs for your own safety.

I hope this helps for your queries. Best of Luck.

Last edited:
Punto comes with same engine like swift ?
A small correction, Swift comes with Punto's(Fiat) engine.

Not only Swift, In India, most of the cars have Fiat's Multijet engine in different names. Please find the list below.
List of All Current Cars Which Use Fiat’s 1.3L MultiJet Diesel Engine
  1. Chevrolet Beat TCDi
  2. Fiat Linea
  3. Fiat Punto Evo
  4. Fiat Linea Classic
  5. Fiat Avventura
  6. Maruti Suzuki Ritz
  7. Maruti Suzuki Swift
  8. Maruti Suzuki Dzire (also Dzire Tour)
  9. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
  10. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz
  11. Maruti Suzuki S-Cross
  12. Tata Zest
  13. Tata Bolt
  14. TATA Indigo Manza Quadrajet
  15. TATA Vista Quadrajet
  16. Premier Rio 1.3 Multijet
  17. Chevrolet Sail Hatch
  18. Chevrolet Sail Sedan
  19. Chevrolet Enjoy MPV(RWD)

Since it's a national engine and a well suited one for small cars, its use is well adopted. And Maruti should be credited for retuning that engine better for its products. I had a Swift diesel & it was hoot to drive, but the same wasn't to be said about the Punto Diesel which my brother had.

Last edited:
Since it's a national engine and a well suited one for small cars, its use is well adopted. And Maruti should be credited for retuning that engine better for its products. I had a Swift diesel & it was hoot to drive, but the same wasn't to be said about the Punto Diesel which my brother had.

Yes, you are right. Asked the same question at Fiat A.S.S. They said, Fiat tuning there engines for better efficiency and reliability. That is why, Fiat is providing 1L kms warranty on Fiat cars which Maruthi don't.

Top Bottom