Need a New Ride: A Diesel Workhorse (Booked Elite i20 Sportz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Well, I am back again guys with the most confusing question “Which CAR”? Almost everyone goes through this phase here (in this forum). And when you are searching a car for yourself it makes you realize that how tough and confusing it is to actually be on this side rather than giving suggestions and advice to others[;)].

So here goes the story, ever since I returned from US back in 2013 I have been driving DRACO (My XUV, for those who are new) since then. And I was very happy with it until I realize that my running has increased and the ODO has crossed 70K kms and it still has 4 months to go before DRACO completes 3 years with us. Just got the 70K service done today itself.

I bought a used Octavia (diesel 2005) last year in March but had to sold it after the NGT ban thing going on and I guess that was a very practical and right decision I made because if the ban is declared than I would have got peanuts for the price I paid to buy the car. But I was really lucky and got a Jackpot deal on my Octavia and I let it go. Though I’ll miss that diesel rocket and the great suspension it offered but got to move with time, so bid adieu German Legend.

Thirdly my running has increased a lot and is almost 80 kms a day (Gurgaon to Mayur Vihar and back) 4-5 days in a week, that’s my office run plus 35 kms 2-3 times in a week for my warehouse and almost one trip to my hometown (Moradabad-Gurgaon) 400 kms back and forth. Also I have meetings with my clients all over in Delhi plus local running. Overall my total running is approx 1800-2000 kms a month. So I am looking for a diesel hatch and I don’t want to buy a sedan or so called sub 4 meter sedans. I am laying down my requirements below.

> Your Budget: Rs.8 – 9 Lakh (On road)

> New or Used: New Car

> Your Location: New Delhi, India

> Top Five Priorities: Atleast driver airbag, ABS, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Good design, Luggage space.

> Monthly Running: Between 1,500 – 2,000 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Regular Use, Highway trips etc

> Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: Hatchback

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Need a new Ride - A diesel workhorse

Buddy, I think of Elite i20 can be a good option in Hatchback. Elite i20 1.4 L Asta (o) Diesel will cost you 9.29 Lac OTR in Noida. In CS segment Hyundai Xcent SX(o) Diesel will be a good option as it costs Rs. 8.74 Lacs on road in Noida. Also you may check out Zest too.

Regards

Akash

You Miss your German legend?? Why noy a Volkswagen polo gt tdi if you do more highway trips you can try non-gt version too.
But should sacrifice in rear legroom if you are 6+(like me). So polo gt will be good choice.

Thread Starter #4

Buddy, I think of Elite i20 can be a good option in Hatchback. Elite i20 1.4 L Asta (o) Diesel will cost you 9.29 Lac OTR in Noida. In CS segment Hyundai Xcent SX(o) Diesel will be a good option as it costs Rs. 8.74 Lacs on road in Noida. Also you may check out Zest too.
Regards
Akash
Well Elite i20 is definitely a superb hatch and I might be going today for a TD. Secondly I am going to stick to my budget of 9 Lacs OTR. [:)]. Last time I started looking for a new car, booked a Hyundai Verna SX and ended up with XUV 5OO W8 in the garage[:D]. But later realized that it was worth the decision though.
And regarding Hyunai Xcent I really don't want to go into CS segment but now as you mentioned and since i'll be going to Hyundai, i'll check that option as well.

You Miss your German legend?? Why noy a Volkswagen polo gt tdi if you do more highway trips you can try non-gt version too.
But should sacrifice in rear legroom if you are 6+(like me). So polo gt will be good choice.
As I said that my running is almost 2k kms a month so won't the polo maintenance cost me more? But still i'll go and take a TD.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I will suggest you the elite i20 and toyota liva.

Elite i20 if you don't like the interiors of the liva. But i took a td of liva petrol recently and the interiors seemed fine to me except that centeral position of the odo.

Maintenance will be less compared to the elite i20 and many taxi users buy this car just because of the long running and reliability. Again don't think of it as a taxi segment.

You have luxury feel in your xuv. If you want to move across the city with 2k per month running liva would be my choice. The ac was a chiller , smooth clutch and gear shifts.

If you go for the elite i20 why not spend extra 30k :p 9.29 for top model with touch screen like akash mentioned.

Polo will be costly to maintain and when i took a td of the petrol , the clutch travel was long and seemed tiring for daily city drives.

Won't suggest jazz because it's overpriced for what it offers and i assume the only benefit in that is extra space which you don't require since you will be traveling alone.

About xcent - both the i10 and xcent have good disocunts going on. I was able to get 35k cash discount plus 40k exchange for xcent and 25k exchange for the grand i10.

Don't go for the xcent , if you are comfortable with the interiors and 1.1 diesel go for the grand i10. Will save you a lot of money. Only if you travel alone most of the time and you don't need that extra space of the i20.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

I will suggest you the elite i20 and toyota liva.
Elite i20 if you don't like the interiors of the liva. But i took a td of liva petrol recently and the interiors seemed fine to me except that centeral position of the odo.
Maintenance will be less compared to the elite i20 and many taxi users buy this car just because of the long running and reliability. Again don't think of it as a taxi segment.
You have luxury feel in your xuv. If you want to move across the city with 2k per month running liva would be my choice. The ac was a chiller , smooth clutch and gear shifts.
+1 to that. And we have the toyota reliability as well. But i really don't like the position of the speedo. Hence not considering Liva or Etios for the said reason.
Also XUV will be going to my parents back in Moradabad. So whatever car i buy i will be using it for both highways and city driving.

If you go for the elite i20 why not spend extra 30k :p 9.29 for top model with touch screen like akash mentioned.
Nope will stick to my budget this time[:)]

Polo will be costly to maintain and when i took a td of the petrol , the clutch travel was long and seemed tiring for daily city drives.
Have driven my friends polo but it is 1 Lac + on ODO so can't really compare it. Will go and take a TD and get the prices.

Won't suggest jazz because it's overpriced for what it offers and i assume the only benefit in that is extra space which you don't require since you will be traveling alone.
I recently took a TD of Jazz petrol MT and AT. MT had lot of lag and really didn't impress me but the AT was so much fun. Will try to get a TD of diesel one.

About xcent - both the i10 and xcent have good disocunts going on. I was able to get 35k cash discount plus 40k exchange for xcent and 25k exchange for the grand i10.

Don't go for the xcent , if you are comfortable with the interiors and 1.1 diesel go for the grand i10. Will save you a lot of money. Only if you travel alone most of the time and you don't need that extra space of the i20.
That's true if i go with Xcent or grand i10 than i can certainly grab some discounts but i guess i would stick to hatchs only, just a thought as of now.

That's true if i go with Xcent or grand i10 than i can certainly grab some discounts but i guess i would stick to hatchs only, just a thought as of now.
Grand i10 is a Hatchback. 3 person in back is a bit of a squeeze in Grand but for total 4 people ,it is comfortable. I suggest go for Grand i10 Asta Diesel. Unlike Swift, it has sufficient boot space and you get all the gimmicks too in asta trim.

Last edited:

Grand i10 is a Hatchback. 3 person in back is a bit of a squeeze in Grand but for total 4 people ,it is comfortable. I suggest go for Grand i10 Asta Diesel. Unless Swift, it has sufficient boot space too and you get all the gimmicks too in asta trim.
Once see his requirements. Now he travels in HIGHWAY and city. How can grand i10 it's have small 1.1crdi will it be sufficient for highway??? Now his xuv going to use by his parents so he wants now all-rounder.

Once see his requirements. Now he travels in HIGHWAY and city. How can grand i10 it's have small 1.1crdi will it be sufficient for highway??? Now his xuv going to use by his parents so he wants now all-rounder.
He needs a hatchback. He is not going to get the torque of XUV in a hatchback, so Grand's diesel torque is as good as any other hatch (Jazz Diesel would have been great but it has far higher NVH and higher price). With lower maintenance (unlike TDI) , sufficient power, good FE, good boot space (unlike swift) and hardly any niggles, Grand asta trim is a good bet

Last edited:

He needs a hatchback. He is not going to get the torque of XUV in a hatchback, so Grand's diesel torque is as good as any other hatch (Jazz Diesel would have been great but it has far higher NVH and higher price).
That's why polo 1.5 tdi is good choice.

Re: Need a New Ride: A Diesel Workhorse

i20 will be clicking all the boxes as per your requirements in opening post.

If you are ok with CS, then have a look at Xcent and Zest

Meantime, Octavia and Skoda are Czech legend - not a German.
We should give due credit to them and not all prizes to be reserved for Germans.
In fact Skoda is older than Volkswagen.

Yes - it is, except for the known DSG problems. TDI is a great car to drive but IMHO, not to own!
Polo 1.5 tdi is not available with dsg. It is only available in manual so no worries about dsg. As he buying new car so should not worry about maintenance cost.

Polo 1.5 tdi is not available with dsg. It is only available in manual so no worries about dsg. As he buying new car so should not worry about maintenance cost.
My bad ! [embarass]Yes thankfully only TSI has DSG. As hinted in other thread my friend's new Vento Diesel has been having problems with DSG (like so many other VW DSG model owners), so I was apprehensive that Polo TDI too would have the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom