Toyota Etios Vs Honda Jazz Diesel

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have been in search of a new car for a while now, i have test driven several cars and finally in dilemma between Honda Jazz and Toyota Etios. My budget is 10.5 Maximum on road.

My needs:
Fuel Efficient
Spacious Proper 5 Seater (Which is the reason i20 wasn't considered)
Good Enough boot for 1 large and 2 medium suitcases at the back
Good Resale Value

Oh Honda Amaze is another option.

Please suggest...really stuck between these two.

Regards,
Vamshi Krsihna

Last edited:
Honda Jazz is my choice as it's a fresh launch and also is one of the brilliantly packaged car. It's also available with automatic option. So check it out and then decide.

The new jazz is a better option. Etios is a solidly built car but looks drab. The honda is the clearly the better choice but at 10.5 lakhs you can go for sedans from the next higher segment like the rapid or the ciaz e.t.c

@krishnavamshi24 Honda Jazz, of course. Etios resale value will go down further in next few years. Jazz is a newer model and hence will retain a better resale value. It is fuel efficient too, and has ample space. More important - the airbags deploy properly in Jazz ! Etios has a history of airbags not deploying when hitting a moving vehicle - it deploys only when hitting a stationary vehicle/wall (which is not the normal traffic situation)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello Everyone,

I have been in search of a new car for a while now, finally in dilemma between Honda Jazz and Toyota Etios. My budget is 10.5 Maximum on road.

My needs:
Fuel Efficient
Spacious Proper 5 Seater
Good Enough boot
Good Resale Value

Honda Amaze is another option.

Please suggest..
Krishna, see as you know Etios and Jazz are 2 different products from different car segments. In terms of reliability both the Japanese firms are trust worthy. Toyota Engines are quite reliable and low maintenance and same with the IVtec Honda engines. But as you are considering Diesel Jazz, I would caution you for the below-average NVH issue of the same. More over in Jazz you get a integrated boot but in Etios you get separate boot. Coming to interiors, Etios has been heavily criticized for the interiors and one this front Jazz scores ahead of Etios. The spares of Honda are expensive than Toyota and I know it because I own Honda and worked for Toyota dealership earlier.

Fuel Efficient: Diesel Idtec is good on FE. Petrol Engine is more rev-happy.

Spacious Proper 5 Seater: You can seat 5 pax in both nicely but in Jazz with Luggage you cant seat 5 pax. However, in Etios, even with luggage in boot you can seat 5 pax.

Good Enough boot: Due to magic seats you can make various options to increase boot space of Jazz. Etios having separate boot will have a defined boot capacity.

Good Resale Value: Over here Honda would be providing you a premium because Etios in common shows a fleet image where as Honda shows a premium image to buyers. People avoid buying a pre-owned Toyota because in latter part of ownership, it demands maintenance which is not necessarily confined to engine.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
What's your monthly running ? Have you decided the fuel option ?

You can easily get a honda city in your budget (diesel sv is 9.9 lakhs ex showroom and diesel s is 9.45 lakhs ex showroom)

Jazz resale will depend on it's sales but no doubt the honda city will have a good resale and will have acres of space with many features.

Ps : jazz is overpriced for what it offers. Won't recommend the etios because of the build quality and not so inspiring interiors.

Attachments

Thread Starter #7
The new jazz is a better option. Etios is a solidly built car but looks drab. The honda is the clearly the better choice but at 10.5 lakhs you can go for sedans from the next higher segment like the rapid or the ciaz e.t.c
Ciaz is coming to around 10.6 for vdi+, would you suggest that over the Jazz. Which one would hold better resale value.

Honda Jazz is my choice as it's a fresh launch and also is one of the brilliantly packaged car. It's also available with automatic option. So check it out and then decide.
I'm looking at Diesel only. Yes its a fresh launch which is the reason for the dilemma

@krishnavamshi24 Honda Jazz, of course. Etios resale value will go down further in next few years. Jazz is a newer model and hence will retain a better resale value. It is fuel efficient too, and has ample space. More important - the airbags deploy properly in Jazz ! Etios has a history of airbags not deploying when hitting a moving vehicle - it deploys only when hitting a stationary vehicle/wall (which is not the normal traffic situation)
Thanks rselva for the advice, only thing that is pulling me towards the Etios is the space it has on offer and the only thing that is stopping me from Etios is the drab interiors.

Krishna, see as you know Etios and Jazz are 2 different products from different car segments. In terms of reliability both the Japanese firms are trust worthy. Toyota Engines are quite reliable and low maintenance and same with the IVtec Honda engines. But as you are considering Diesel Jazz, I would caution you for the below-average NVH issue of the same. More over in Jazz you get a integrated boot but in Etios you get separate boot. Coming to interiors, Etios has been heavily criticized for the interiors and one this front Jazz scores ahead of Etios. The spares of Honda are expensive than Toyota and I know it because I own Honda and worked for Toyota dealership earlier.

Fuel Efficient: Diesel Idtec is good on FE. Petrol Engine is more rev-happy.

Spacious Proper 5 Seater: You can seat 5 pax in both nicely but in Jazz with Luggage you cant seat 5 pax. However, in Etios, even with luggage in boot you can seat 5 pax.

Good Enough boot: Due to magic seats you can make various options to increase boot space of Jazz. Etios having separate boot will have a defined boot capacity.

Good Resale Value: Over here Honda would be providing you a premium because Etios in common shows a fleet image where as Honda shows a premium image to buyers. People avoid buying a pre-owned Toyota because in latter part of ownership, it demands maintenance which is not necessarily confined to engine.

Regards

Akash
So Honda Jazz seems to be the choice here, should i increase my budget and consider the Ciaz over Jazz. Will Ciaz be as reliable as Jazz.

What's your monthly running ? Have you decided the fuel option ?

You can easily get a honda city in your budget (diesel sv is 9.9 lakhs ex showroom and diesel s is 9.45 lakhs ex showroom)

Jazz resale will depend on it's sales but no doubt the honda city will have a good resale and will have acres of space with many features.

Ps : jazz is overpriced for what it offers. Won't recommend the etios because of the build quality and not so inspiring interiors.
Honda City here is 11.8 on road for SV version, very pricey and way above my budget otherwise it was an automatic choice if within 10.7 budget. What do you make of Ciaz, i'm not preferring the Rapid because of horror stories about the ASS. My Monthly running should be 1500 Kms as we do long trips often.

Last edited:
So once you go into the sedan segment, you then have City, Ciaz, and Verna offcourse.
May be you can then look at the Altis (not sure whats the OTR prices for the same)

ciaz should be a safe bet. Jazz is well built but a segment lower and at that price point it's better to go with a sedan. The skoda rapid has many happy customers and maintaining it is more expensive than Japanese brands but it's worth it. Why not consider the Fiat Linea an absolute bliss to drive. Coming to ciaz it will be cheaper to maintain than other cars of this segment.

Thread Starter #10
So once you go into the sedan segment, you then have City, Ciaz, and Verna offcourse.
May be you can then look at the Altis (not sure whats the OTR prices for the same)
Altis is way way out of my budget right now :). Confused right now waited for S-Cross and Creta both have been disappointing in terms of pricing.

ciaz should be a safe bet. Jazz is well built but a segment lower and at that price point it's better to go with a sedan. The skoda rapid has many happy customers and maintaining it is more expensive than Japanese brands but it's worth it. Why not consider the Fiat Linea an absolute bliss to drive. Coming to ciaz it will be cheaper to maintain than other cars of this segment.
True Jazz is a segment lower, Ciaz is a good car so it is an option but have to stretch my budget a bit but seems to be the only VFM car out there right now. On another note Drove the JAZZ Diesel it was an absolute peach when it comes to driveability and fuel efficiency it gave an outstanding average of 23.4 over stretch of 10kms in medium traffic.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
So Honda Jazz seems to be the choice here, should i increase my budget and consider the Ciaz over Jazz. Will Ciaz be as reliable as Jazz.
Krishna, Jazz Diesel and Ciaz Diesel are again 2 different products and have some difference like the Engine: DDIS 1.3 in Ciaz, 1.5 Idtec in Jazz which means you get stronger engine in Jazz if we compare cubic capacity. Then, NVH in CIAZ is better than Jazz Diesel. Interior wise, CIAZ is better than Jazz. But if you compare the re-sale down the line, Jazz would fetch you a premium over a CIAZ simply because of brand name. In reliability both these Japanese are reliable. In CIAZ, you have advantage of Maruti's wide ASC network.

Regards

Akash

If you are looking for a spacious 5 seater then i won't recommend Jazz either. If you have taken out i20 for the same reason than Jazz is not different i guess.

You can look for Etios, Sunny, Ciaz.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I'd choose ciaz over the jazz. Just take a td of the city , ciaz , verna and the rapid.

City is a little bit expensive than the others and about skoda , i don't think every customer is satisified with their service center, be it honda , hyundai or maruti. You will face good as well as bad experiences.

Rapid is a good car and a survey was conducted and the car had very less problems per car and was ranked just below the city in terms of reliability.

Verna is a good car , i own one and it sell like hot cakes before honda city was introduced. Verna will be vfm and there are 30-40k discounts going on.

Edit : just saw the price of verna diesel model s. It's the same as city sv but still will cost you around 11.3 lakhs after discounts.
Ciaz also has a 25k cash discounts from maruti.
Again i will say just take a td of each and every car and compare which car offers the most. And i will strongly suggest you to take a c segment sedan and do the think about a hatchback.

But if you compare the re-sale down the line, Jazz would fetch you a premium over a CIAZ simply because of brand name. In reliability both these Japanese are reliable. In CIAZ, you have advantage of Maruti's wide ASC network.

Regards

Akash
This is very confusing :p i will say both will have bad resale compared to their respective competitors.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Krishna, Jazz Diesel and Ciaz Diesel are again 2 different products and have some difference like the Engine: DDIS 1.3 in Ciaz, 1.5 Idtec in Jazz which means you get stronger engine in Jazz if we compare cubic capacity. Then, NVH in CIAZ is better than Jazz Diesel. Interior wise, CIAZ is better than Jazz. But if you compare the re-sale down the line, Jazz would fetch you a premium over a CIAZ simply because of brand name. In reliability both these Japanese are reliable. In CIAZ, you have advantage of Maruti's wide ASC network.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash for your inputs, so if its space i'm after i think the choice is obvious, in terms of POWER i think its the JAZZ but with compromise on space.

If you are looking for a spacious 5 seater then i won't recommend Jazz either. If you have taken out i20 for the same reason than Jazz is not different i guess.

You can look for Etios, Sunny, Ciaz.
I felt Jazz is more spacious then i20 and more practical hatch , But you're right on space part Ciaz and Etios are the winners here.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
This is very confusing i will say both will have bad resale compared to their respective competitors.
Not really confusing buddy[:)]. See, Maruti in India would never be seen as premium even if they open an outlet in a 5 star hotel of India. So, no matter how good their products are, yet due to availability in abundance, buyers can strike a lucrative deal for a used Maruti than a Honda. The seller shall often loose out on added premium over a used Maruti because, there are plenty of choices to buy a used Maruti vehicle from. Now, Honda is a seen as premium because of the products it used to offer and even today it offers baring Mobilio. Also, Honda is a international brand so re-selling its vehicle will certainly give seller a certain premium over a used vehicle of a native brand in comparison. Rest, all depends, how you keep the vehicle at the time of re-sale.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom