Which Premium Hatchback To Buy Between Rs.5 - 10 Lakh?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Gurus,
Require your help on choosing a new premium hatchback for my wife for a budget between Rs 5-10 lakhs On-Road Delhi. Need to replace our current I20 which is 4 years old with a odometer reading of 40000kms, selling it off as typical I20 problems of suspension & steering column replacement along with ac problems that are cropping up.

Requirements as follows:-
Fuel; Petrol
Seating Capacity; 4-5
Use; 80% self driven single passenger and 20% with 5 passengers on weekends. 95% city driven.
Usage; 800kms per month.
Period; 5-7 years
Mileage; Min 12kmpl in city.

Must have features:-
Dual Airbags
ABS with EBD
Reliable manufacturer with a sound & reasonably priced spare parts supply reputation.
Good utility of bottle holders, mobile, sun glasses, ticket holders, etc
All 5 wheels with similar sizes
Front Fog Lamps
Electrically fold-able and internally operated OVRM's
Power sockets
Vanity mirror on both driver and passenger side
Tool kit, jack, etc should be in a integrated set-up under the dickey floor mat.
Bluetooth connectivity for phone with controls on steering wheels.
Symmetrical designed dashboard with the entertainment system in exact centre when viewed from the rear of car.
Premium feel and quality of interiors.
Central locking.
Reliable AC cooling system that lasts at least 7 years. Blower should be preferably silent.
Car Pick and drop facility for workshop during service.
Honest and knowledgeable service executives who do not irritate by calling for un-necessary services like carbonisation, ac cleaning, interior fungal cleaning, anti rust & paint protection coating, etc
Manual book that is specific to the model of the car.
Child lock
Remote boot, bonnet & fuel lid.
Height adjustable seat belts.
Adjustable driver seat.
Steering tilt and telescopic adjustment.

Additional preferable features:-
Front & Rear Disc brakes.
Company fitted Leather seats
Alloy wheels without the small wheel caps.
Auto windows up facility on locking the car.
Parcel tray that doesn't slide.
Rear washer.
Audio system with 4 speakers plus 2 tweeters and pre outs.

Not exactly looking at gimmos of auto lights, drl's auto wiper, rear camera & parking sensors, cruise control, anti pinch windows, visors, roof rails, spoiler, double barrel headlights, etc. Number plates of car should be suitably placed that they dont get hit first in case of any collision. Also don't need a huge boot or other space as we have no requirement to transport luggage or animals, primarily for travel to office purpose and not any commercial use. Willing to wait for six months if in case there may be any exciting launches of Skoda Fabia, etc

So kindly suggest a car that meets our requirements. Thanks in advance.

Re: Which premium hatchback car to buy between Rs 5-10 lakhs

IMO Honda Jazz SV fits most of your requirements. Test drive to check.

Sure, A Honda petrol always gives a good riding feeling. But as per your requirements, Swift ZXI may satisfy you. Or otherwise, you may wait for the new big hatch launches of Ford Figo, Maruti Suzuki IK2 , Fiat Punto T-Jet etc.

Thread Starter #5

IMO Honda Jazz SV fits most of your requirements. Test drive to check.
Had just seen the Jazz, actually my search for a premium hatchback started with Honda as Jazz is the highest priced, looks good but;

No Leather seats.
Also has a dummy in the front panel for the start stop button and a dummy for the central locking button, could not digest these.
Asymmetrical dashboard design.
Tweeters absent.
Spare wheel is a smaller size. (Salesman explained as Honda put it on purpose as a reminder to drivers to change the stepney back post a puncture)
Manual book is not specific to model of car.
Vanity mirror missing on driver's side. (My wife's first criteria in choosing a car)
Has some loose wires dangling in the dashboard.
When I sat in the centre of rear seat my head was hitting against the roof (5.10" being my height)
Seat belt height adjustment not available (my wife needs it)

So put it on hold for the moment.... Brio display nor test drive models were not available.

IIRC, SV trim has vanity mirror with cover, the dangling wires in the glove box is in VX trim only. Yes the dummy start stop is definitively an eye sore. I didn't check the back seat comfort when I went for a TD recently so can't comment on that part.

Thread Starter #8
Checked out around 10 cars in the past few days but dint like any, so now considering to upgrade to a C2 segment sedan. Liked 2 cars Skoda Rapid and Volkswagen Vento. Any views on these on maintenance and reliabilty

Akash1886

Honoured Member
now considering to upgrade to a C2 segment sedan. Liked 2 cars Skoda Rapid and Volkswagen Vento. Any views on these on maintenance and reliabilty
Buddy as you know both Rapid and Vento belong to the same Skoda VW group. Apart from the change in front and rear face of new Vento there is lot of part sharing between both the sedans. Maintenance wise Vento and Rapid both are good and both are reliable too. By far, Rapid has been the face-saving product of Skoda in India till now. However, being a good product, still you need to be very particular and supervise the work that shall be carried out at the Skoda or VW ASC if you buy any of them.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
Can you throw some light on the fuel efficiency figures of skoda rapid petrol in city and highway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy if you need a petrol then nothing beats the Honda I-Vtec. And you can get the Jazz AT top model with all the whistles and features. And it has the best mileage in that particular segment as well if i am not wrong.

Good choice. The Rapid is a well built car. It will serve you well for sure. Which variant you went for ?

Honda Jazz suits your requirement bro. Go for the V variant . But it doesnt fit all your needs but it is the only car that can atleast come close. Happy Driving[drive][:D]

Top Bottom