Laura and SX4 Replacement?

Thread Starter #1
Quite soon our faithful 2008 SX4 Zxi will be completing 8 years and our 2012 Laura L&K 4 years. SX4 is quite old and barely has a running of more than 100 km in a month. Laura on the other hand has been the workhorse for the last 4 years.Completely niggle-free. It just completed 60,000 km and got its 4th servicing. Next servicing at 75,000km is when the clutches shall be replaced. It's quite a costly affair(almost Rs. 70k+). So decided to replace both of the cars, and equally distribute the monthly running between the two new cars.

So right now while selling them, I'm expecting 2.5 lakhs for the SX4 and 12.5 for the Laura. Or is it too much? please advice.

Our budget is 30lakhs(25 lakhs for the sedan and 5 lakhs for the hatchback).
Sedan will do most of the highway runs, dropping Dad to office and stuff. It'll have a monthly running of 1200km+. So it should be a diesel. The Hatchback would have a maximum running of 800km for the next one and half years of my college. After that it won't run for more than 100km a month. Seeing the price difference in petrol and diesel version of cars in this segment, petrol seems to be a clear choice.

So here are the options that I have thought of:
1. Honda Brio V MT (6 Lakhs on-road) + Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI DSG(24 Lakhs on-road). And save all the money from selling the Laura and the SX4.
OR
2. Honda Brio V MT (6 Lakhs on-road) + Skoda Superb Elegance TDI (30 Lakhs on-road) so 50% of the money from selling the 2 cars will be used.
OR
3. Honda Brio V MT (6 Lakhs on-road) + Used 520d / E250 / A6 (36-40 Lakhs).

If It's a hatchback it's gotta be the Brio. Having driven it, I really can't think of any other car which is so nimble to drive. If it's a new sedan it's got to be a Skoda. We have absolutely no complains against it. They are really value for money compared to their much costlier european competitors. And if it's going to be a used sedan it's got to be one of three i mentioned above. Having driven and being driven around in both the Laura and Superb we have no interest in splurging the extra money on a 3-series, C-class, A4 with lesser comfort and almost same feature list.

So that's my dilemma. I need to help Dad make the correct decision. This is probably the last car/cars that he is going to buy[cry]. He'll be retiring in sometime. He has always wanted a car from the Holy Trinity. His only other preference is that it must be comfortable. So I hope to make this his best decision ever and shouldn't regret it even slightly.

Thanks for reading such a long post. Pour in your inputs.

Thanks a lot,
Daipayan

Last edited:
Superb, Octavia n Audi are of similar platform. Superb, as name signifies, is a Superb vehicle. IMO don't go for used since you mentioned that the Car will be special to your father. When it comes to Octavia mated with DSG is one hell of a Car. My Vote is for OCTAVIA DSG

-CARleone

1. Honda Brio V MT (6 Lakhs on-road) + Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI DSG(24 Lakhs on-road). And save all the money from selling the Laura and the SX4.
OR
2. Honda Brio V MT (6 Lakhs on-road) + Skoda Superb Elegance TDI (30 Lakhs on-road) so 50% of the money from selling the 2 cars will be used.
OR
Buy a Skoda Octavia and enjoy each and every miles in it, which will be a better bet than the used 520d / E250 / A6 in terms of service cost.

You can also check out the New Hyundai Elantra for its facelift design. Still with these two cars in mind i would really go in for the Skoda Octavia, but TD the Elantra for its easy driveability in city.

Thread Starter #5
Superb, Octavia n Audi are of similar platform. Superb, as name signifies, is a Superb vehicle. IMO don't go for used since you mentioned that the Car will be special to your father. When it comes to Octavia mated with DSG is one hell of a Car. My Vote is for OCTAVIA DSG

-CARleone
Thanks CARleone,
So do you think it's worth shelling out the extra for a Superb?

Buy a Skoda Octavia and enjoy each and every miles in it, which will be a better bet than the used 520d / E250 / A6 in terms of service cost.

You can also check out the New Hyundai Elantra for its facelift design. Still with these two cars in mind i would really go in for the Skoda Octavia, but TD the Elantra for its easy driveability in city.
Thanks nmm_mithra,
None of us in our family like the Elantra's looks, it's interiors. The extra soft suspension feels really weird on the highways. And I'm really not so sure about the engine. It seems more like a downgrade moving from the Laura to the Elantra. Sorry! I don't mean any offence to Elantra owners.

Hey,why can't you look at VW Jetta?It has better A.S.S than Skoda and it shares same engine of Laura.And,when it comes to hatch,Brio is the best choice or else go for Polo GT TSI.
Thanks Music_Swift,

Jetta is our 2nd choice. But the darker interiors and the orange backlight on the dashboard and the instrument cluster isn't something we like, plus there's no sunroof. The main advantage that i can see that the Jetta has is the Multi-link independent suspension. Our Laura has it and we loved it.

Polo is 4 lakhs costlier. I don't really need the added brand value or the features. I need a car with a good power to weight ratio and a manual. The GT TSI's power to weight ratio is only slightly more than the Brio. And I think I'll neither be able to keep up with fuel costs or the maintenance costs.:stupid:

So do you think it's worth shelling out the extra for a Superb
If Budget is not a constrain then go in for the Skoda Superb as it is the most luxurious car under 30 Lakh bracket. The rear seat is the place to be in with more legroom and headroom it feels like being at home. The most comfortable car.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I'm expecting 2.5 lakhs for the SX4 and 12.5 for the Laura. Or is it too much? please advice.
You might get 2.3 to 2.5L for SX4 however expecting 12.5L for phased out Laura will be uphill task. Above that a used Skoda is difficult to sell. You can expect between 9.5 L to 11 L if the luck is with you.

Our budget is 30lakhs(25 lakhs for the sedan and 5 lakhs for the hatchback).

Out of my experience with Brand Skoda I would say this 3rd option is the best. Reason being the present gen Superb will be phased out most likely by 2016 as the new gen has begun testing in India and prices of both generations will differ surely. So even though Audi-VW and Skoda are of same stable still in comparison Audi is far better than a Skoda. Apart from that Mercedes will be a good bet too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #8
You might get 2.3 to 2.5L for SX4 however expecting 12.5L for phased out Laura will be uphill task. Above that a used Skoda is difficult to sell. You can expect between 9.5 L to 11 L if the luck is with you.
Thanks Akash

Out of my experience with Brand Skoda I would say this 3rd option is the best. Reason being the present gen Superb will be phased out most likely by 2016 as the new gen has begun testing in India and prices of both generations will differ surely. So even though Audi-VW and Skoda are of same stable still in comparison Audi is far better than a Skoda. Apart from that Mercedes will be a good bet too.
How much do you think a 2013 25000km run E250 Avantgarde in good condition should cost?

I would suggest you to stick to Option 2 (Brio & Octavia). Both are fantastic cars and will bring smile to the driver & owner too. I have Brio & its been absolutely fantastic machine. If you are keen on Octavia you'll miss the Multi Link Suspension of Laura & Jetta. That's a party trick & an excellent feature to have. It makes huge difference and these kind of cars are meant to impress both the chauffeur & the rear benchers.

I would say go with option 1 as your both requirements will be fulfilled and you will save money as well . And if not the 1st option than i would recommend 3 option since all the sedans you mentioned are from different league. And of all three i would recommend E250/A6 if it is to be chauffeur driven and if you are gonna use it often than 520d for its driving dynamics.

Brio and octavia is great combination. Wanted SUV's???. If your dad bored with sedan's as this will be last car he buying(as you said) be special buy a Mitsubishi pajero if you on budget and new fortuner is coming on it's way in 2 months!! If you can extend budget try santa fe. But new endeavor is coming!! It's awesome vehicle and will be in 25 lakhs!! That is one hell vehicle. I have driven it in abroad it's ride quality and engine nvh are very good as it have 3.2 engine. No wallowing or bumpy ride like old endeavor. It's miles ahead comparing to fortuner or old endeavor.it named as everest in abroad. I have driven it for 100 miles at 100mph speed as 215 bhp around 500nm torque. It is very stable at that speed to comparing to fortuner and it's hefty suv automatic transmission also good.
Still if you are buying sedan try octavia then it will be boring as well as regular because you have already owned skoda Laura.
Same engine same transmission it isn't bored and common and regular???...

Thread Starter #13
I would suggest you to stick to Option 2 (Brio & Octavia). Both are fantastic cars and will bring smile to the driver & owner too. I have Brio & its been absolutely fantastic machine. If you are keen on Octavia you'll miss the Multi Link Suspension of Laura & Jetta. That's a party trick & an excellent feature to have. It makes huge difference and these kind of cars are meant to impress both the chauffeur & the rear benchers.
Thanks Nishant. The only thing going for the Jetta is the Multi Link Suspension.

I would say go with option 1 as your both requirements will be fulfilled and you will save money as well . And if not the 1st option than i would recommend 3 option since all the sedans you mentioned are from different league. And of all three i would recommend E250/A6 if it is to be chauffeur driven and if you are gonna use it often than 520d for its driving dynamics.
Thanks singh890. I have heard it too that the Merc and the Audi is more for the chauffeur driven and the Bimmer for it's driving characteristics. This car will mostly be chauffeur driven. The thing is my mother likes Mercs , Dad likes the Mercs too but I have a thing for Audis. This time I'll go with my parents choice [:)]

Brio and octavia is great combination. Wanted SUV's???. If your dad bored with sedan's as this will be last car he buying(as you said) be special buy a Mitsubishi pajero if you on budget and new fortuner is coming on it's way in 2 months!! If you can extend budget try santa fe. But new endeavor is coming!! It's awesome vehicle and will be in 25 lakhs!! That is one hell vehicle. I have driven it in abroad it's ride quality and engine nvh are very good as it have 3.2 engine. No wallowing or bumpy ride like old endeavor. It's miles ahead comparing to fortuner or old endeavor.it named as everest in abroad. I have driven it for 100 miles at 100mph speed as 215 bhp around 500nm torque. It is very stable at that speed to comparing to fortuner and it's hefty suv automatic transmission also good.
Still if you are buying sedan try octavia then it will be boring as well as regular because you have already owned skoda Laura.
Same engine same transmission it isn't bored and common and regular???...
Thanks Manish, We have thought about SUVs as well, but majority of the time there'll be maximum 4 occupants(Most the time it'll only be Dad and his chauffeur). Plus the low fuel efficiency is another disadvantage. So it doesn't really seem to make much sense to spend on a car that'll be mainly used for Home-office-home purposes and it won't be on the highway for more than 4-5 times a month. Plus it'll be difficult for my dad to drive for the times when he decides to self drive.

The only thing going against our 1st and 2nd options is that we've extensively used a very similar car. Similar in every aspect!

Thanks

Thanks Manish, We have thought about SUVs as well, but majority of the time there'll be maximum 4 occupants(Most the time it'll only be Dad and his chauffeur). Plus the low fuel efficiency is another disadvantage. So it doesn't really seem to make much sense to spend on a car that'll be mainly used for Home-office-home purposes and it won't be on the highway for more than 4-5 times a month. Plus it'll be difficult for my dad to drive for the times when he decides to self drive.

The only thing going against our 1st and 2nd options is that we've extensively used a very similar car. Similar in every aspect!
Hmm ok then. Then octavia is a great choice for you. But dsg(reliable???). Why not consider volvo???. New volvo v40 d3 costs 28+ lakhs on road. Or if you want used one go for s60 d5 you'll find well maintained for below 20 lakh it have great engine 5 cyl 215 bhp Or xc 60 volvo's are very reliable. Or try used 3 series. My brother has volvo s60 d5 it is very good vehicle and not very common on road's like audi's or merc's. Don't buy VAG vehicle as you you owned laura. Same engine in octy,a3,a4,jetta etc. Try different now.

Volvo is the first car to cross 3 million miles!!!!. Yes you read it right 3 million miles!!!!. Once Google it 1966 volvo p1800
3 million miles.

Thanks singh890. I have heard it too that the Merc and the Audi is more for the chauffeur driven and the Bimmer for it's driving characteristics. This car will mostly be chauffeur driven. The thing is my mother likes Mercs , Dad likes the Mercs too but I have a thing for Audis. This time I'll go with my parents choice [:)]
If your parents like the mercs and the car will be chauffeur driven mos of the time, then don't think twice just go ahead and get it since your parents like it and that is enough to make a decision and you already have the budget.

Top Bottom