I request suggestions for a new car in the 9-12 lakh rupee range.

Thread Starter #1
Its for my senior at work. He currently has a three year old Octavia Rider TDi. He wants to sell that car and go in for a new one.

Priorities to be considered

1.Should be comfortable on long drives.

2.Will be clocking 2500-3000 Kms a month.

3.Reliability should not be an issue.

4. Cannot sacrifice much on ground clearance as sometimes the car might be taken to estate properties. (there is no need for AWD or FWD here,the roads will be gravel or mud roads,but there can be open culverts which can scrape the underpinnings.)

I guess thats all. Which car or MPV might suit the job. Some cars on his mind are the VW Vento and the Chevy Cruz-which I am not voting for due to the low ground clearance.
He also doesn't seem to mind if its a second hand Superb or an Innova that has some 25,000-40,000 on the clock for the time being.

The following SUV/MUVs(good ones) fit into the said budget-

• Chevrolet Tavera
  • Toyota Innova(Recommended)
  • Mahindra Scorpio
  • Mahindra Xylo
  • Tata Safari
My take- Toyota Innova. No car from the above list will give comfort more than the Innova.

What better than a new innova? meets all the requirements to the T.
:agree:

Thread Starter #4
What better than a new innova? meets all the requirements to the T.
How's the Innova all round? I prefer a sedan though he dont mind an MUV. And what about the Altis Diesel,someone told me it does not have enough punch in it for performance.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Any particular reason that your senior is planning to sell off the Octavia? If everything is going alright, it can actually prove to be a decent and reliable long term sedan. Also, please tell us approximately ‘how many’ times the car will need to be run on broken terrain?

Assuming if it is going to be more than 50%, look out for an SUV. Personally speaking, I’d not prefer an Innova, even though it’s one of the apt vehicles for the purpose. The fight should be between Mahindra Scorpio and Tata Safari which at least offer sheer road presence and have an own standing in the segment, unlike Innova which at first gives an impression of nothing but a usual taxi. Otherwise, in second-hand car market, there are chances of getting something heavy like a couple of years old Ford Endeavor in that budget. Else, if running on muddy roads is rather going to be lesser, Simply choose to Cruze. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I will suggest an MUV/SUV as the first option and list out the following as possible options according to the priority:

1. Innova 2.5 VX - 7 Seater
  2. Scorpio VLX BS-IV 4WD
  3. Safari 4x4 VX DiCOR 2.2 VTT

If he is keen to have a sedan, following are the options:

1. Cruze LT
  2. Vento Highline Diesel

I personally feel that in this price range and considering the usage, it is better to pick one from the first 3 options. All these models comes with ABS and Airbag as standard. Since looks depends up on individuals, your colleague need to make the final call. One important thing is, All the three (Innova 2.5 VX, Scorpio VLX BS-IV 4W, Safari 4x4 VX DiCOR 2.2 VTT) are equally good and scores their on plus point. It will be meaning less to compare an Innova to Scorpio / Safari. Innova is a pure MUV. Between M&M and TATA, M&M scores better. However, when coming to the product comfort, road presence and the feel, Safari wins. Plus, note that some of the Safari owners has reported reliability issues where as some are using it with out any hassles for a long time. Scorpio is an all rounder here and has a decent reputation in all most all aspects.

My pick here is Scorpio VLX BS-IV 4WD

Thread Starter #9
I will suggest an MUV/SUV as the first option and list out the following as possible options according to the priority:

1. Innova 2.5 VX - 7 Seater
  2. Scorpio VLX BS-IV 4WD
  3. Safari 4x4 VX DiCOR 2.2 VTT

If he is keen to have a sedan, following are the options:

1. Cruze LT
  2. Vento Highline Diesel

I personally feel that in this price range and considering the usage, it is better to pick one from the first 3 options. All these models comes with ABS and Airbag as standard. Since looks depends up on individuals, your colleague need to make the final call. One important thing is, All the three (Innova 2.5 VX, Scorpio VLX BS-IV 4W, Safari 4x4 VX DiCOR 2.2 VTT) are equally good and scores their on plus point. It will be meaning less to compare an Innova to Scorpio / Safari. Innova is a pure MUV. Between M&M and TATA, M&M scores better. However, when coming to the product comfort, road presence and the feel, Safari wins. Plus, note that some of the Safari owners has reported reliability issues where as some are using it with out any hassles for a long time. Scorpio is an all rounder here and has a decent reputation in all most all aspects.

My pick here is Scorpio VLX BS-IV 4WD
I know well about the safari,a friend of mine had one in bangalore where I studied. It was a kaput machine all round,its ruled out and the Scorpio has a bouncy ride. And we dont do serious off-roading. We often have to do runs to the north of Kerala to get to courts and have to run from court to court all across Kerala. I feel the Safari or the Scorpio for that matter will be an Achilles heel in Kerala's traffic and you'll be worn out after a long ride. The Innova is the only option I guess, that car helps you to arrive fresh wthout getting tired after long runs.
We are looking at the Altis Diesel, I love everything about that car except the power output,the Alto K10 has better grunt upto 100kmph.

Last edited:
Yes for sure! That is why I put Innova on the top of the list. But I prefer the macho look of Scorpio. You know what I mean [:)]

Thread Starter #12
Yes for sure! That is why I put Innova on the top of the list. But I prefer the macho look of Scorpio. You know what I mean [:)]
Thats true but,good enough to scare off other vehicles coming opposite overtaking someone. But I dont think he'll ever go in for a Scorpio. He is not into SUVs and MUVs,he will only consider the Innova. But still its very common and there are a lot of Taxis out there and a sedan makes your prescence more felt and pronounced.

Top Bottom