Buying Advice For a Used / Test Drive Car

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI-gers,
I was looking for a 2nd hand diesel car and I came across a FORD Classic Titanium model.
It happens to be a Test drive car of a dealership. It is 2012 model with 39000 on the odometer. I test drove the car and everything was fine except when the car was stopped at a red light and the cooling fan started, the noise was very much and the whole body was vibrating, is it normal? There was not a single rattling other than that.
So I want help from fellow members and experts, whether I should buy a Test drive car or not and If yes what other things I should look for before buying.
Thank You.
Regards lone_ranger.

Re: Buying advice for a Test Drive Car.

Haven't met anyone who bought a TD car. My guesstimate is that the car had been driven by all sorts of people using all sorts of driving styles while they did their TDing, including hard braking, which would mean the vehicle has been put to much stress than it would have got under normal ownership conditions. I would instead look for a used vehicle from an individual who's maintained the car well. May I ask what's the budget you have in mind? About the cooling fan starting, it looks normal to me if you took the TD in a warm environment and made a sustained run. Else it needs to be looked at. Bottom line: If engine overheated, walk away, don't buy it. Classic and vibration goes hand in hand; one of my friends' Classic also vibrates like the 3-pot WagonR at red lights. Funny. All in all I don't like the sound of it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Haven't met anyone who bought a TD car. My guesstimate is that the car had been driven by all sorts of people using all sorts of driving styles while they did their TDing, including hard braking, which would mean the vehicle has been put to much stress than it would have got under normal ownership conditions. I would instead look for a used vehicle from an individual who's maintained the car well. May I ask what's the budget you have in mind?
Thanks for the reply. Actually I am looking for a used car, it was a coincident that I found this car. My budget is 3-4 lakhs.

Last edited:

TD cars are also used by the dealers for their personal use too.I know a dealer who gives his td cars for his close contacts for their personal work.So better not buy a td car.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am looking for a used car, it was a coincident that I found this car. My budget is 3-4 lakhs.
Foremost buddy, Here is a list which shall help you to check any pre-owned car which you intend to buy or shortlist. As of the budget, you can go for a used Honda City or SX4 or Dzire too. If you have decided to go for hatchbacks then look for i10, Wagon R. Try and check out the available options with e-portals as well.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #7
TD cars are also used by the dealers for their personal use too.I know a dealer who gives his td cars for his close contacts for their personal work.So better not buy a td car.
Rightly said buddy, dealer was using the car as well as for TD.

Foremost buddy, Here is a list which shall help you to check any pre-owned car which you intend to buy or shortlist. As of the budget, you can go for a used Honda City or SX4 or Dzire too. If you have decided to go for hatchbacks then look for i10, Wagon R. Try and check out the available options with e-portals as well.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash. I will use the list for inspection. It is indeed helpful for novices like me [:)]

Re: Buying Advice For a Test Drive Car

FORD Classic Titanium model.
It happens to be a Test drive car of a dealership. It is 2012 model with 39000 on the odometer.
Grab it for around 3L. It's after all a machine and Genuine replacement parts are available unlike human parts. I have seen few TD cars with more than 50k on odo which are fat better than used cars available in market with same mileage. I agree they were abused and I myself suggested people not to go for TD cars, but with some live examples I take my words back. Check the car thoroughly and negotiate hard.
PS:
1) What is / was their quote?
2) Is that registered vehicle?

I would say to stay away from this car.
Reasons are,
1)Ford Classic is a car which can be abused a lot but an ordinary man cannot find out.
2)Diesel fords can give you a big repair bill later on.
3)Workshop/dealer owned vehicles,can have their odo meter tampered.

yeah on this matter with Ford being the vehicle i would also say its goin to drain your pockets to maintain these vehicles as the spare parts are bloody costly. i have maintained one and am done with it. so think twice. but as in general a demo car is not a bad buy. as Mr. Boss said check it thoroughly. but ford fiesta classic used stay away.

Thread Starter #11
PS:
1) What is / was their quote?
2) Is that registered vehicle?
1) Asking price was 4.75 lakhs and not negotiable at all.
2) It was registered on the company's name.

Thank You all the fellow members for their valuable suggestions. I am not going to buy this car.
Regards lone_ranger.

Top Bottom