Maruti Suzuki Celerio Highway Experience?

Thread Starter #1
I am looking to get Celerio manual ZXi(O) top model. I took a TD recently and found it quite to my liking in the city. But I'd like to know its highway handling from anyone who's gone on the highway in a Celerio, preferably the manual version. I thought I'd get Swift but its top model is beyond my budget of 5.5L. Currently I am driving an Alto 800 LXi to work and i10 Sportz (first generation) for longer distance trips.
My queries would relate to 1) Body roll above 80 kmph 2) Steering feedback 3) What rear passengers say 4) Driver's seat comfort 5) Noise (subjective) but still 6) Pick-up from 80 kmph tp 100 kmph for overtaking runs and any other observation on Celerio's highway behaviour.
I also considered Brio, its VMT comes with ABS-EBD (without airbags) around the same price point as the top model Celerio. But Honda six-month maintenance interval is a downer for me. And considering some of the places where I want to go on long drives in the months and years to come, I am aware of Honda's weakness in support and getting parts, while Maruti will have no hiccups here. Thing is I got to put my foot down, otherwise while buying a car the tendency is to think "add some bucks and get that one instead" and then "add some more a bit and get that other one instead" :-)
So, anyone done good amount of highway run on Celerio?

Maruti Suzuki Celerio even with a 1 litre K10 engine feels very peppy to drive and i like its handling and a bit stiffer suspension.

I have driven the Celerio for around 5200 km in 3 months, having driven it on 2 lane highways and also on country roads. Yes, the suspension is stiff and on rural roads or broken tarmac, the drive is very harsh and i could feel the road surface. On Highway, the stiff suspension set up results in impressive handling for a tall (ish) car like the Celerio. I have pushed the Celerio till 120 kmph on the Highway with the rev counter reading at 4600 rpm with a sporty engine note.

So answers for your questions are:

1. Body roll is present but not unnerving at 80 kmph and is very much in control

2. Steering feedback is good at highway speed but steering play at dead center position is not well calibrated i feel. Steering also feels heavier compared to my previous Grand i10 at Parking speeds. I find the feedback better in the Celerio compared to the Grand i10 although no where near the old gen Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo GT TSI.

3. Rear passenger are ok in a flat surfaced highway or country road. On a bumpy road, the rear seat gets bouncy. Also the rear seat lacks underthigh support. I have never traveled seated on the rear seat of my Celerio and these feedback was from my parents. Rear leg room although better then a WagonR or Alto falls drastically short compared to the Hyundai Grand i10.

4. Driver's seat is compared and the Driver's view of the road is great thanks to the tall driving position. Although I am not totally satisfied with the ergonomics. Lumbar support is lacking as well as neck support.

5. Noise of the engine at idle is evident and also the vibrations cause it is a 3 cylinder engine. Once at speed of about 60 kmph, engine note is fairly muted. Although road noise from the tyres and wind noise is also evident. NVH levels are nowhere comparable to a Grand i10. But with a good sound system, noise is very well controlled at legal speeds with windows rolled up and music playing

6. Pick up from 80 to 100 kmph is not very fast but adequate as the engine feels peppy. Better to downshift to 3rd or 4th gear for quick overtakes.

celerio is a nice car and it should be compared to the hyundai i10 1.1, not to the hyundai grand i10.
Maruti celerio vs Hyundai i10-irde
Maruti swift vs Hyundai grand i10 [;)]

celerio is a nice car and it should be compared to the hyundai i10 1.1, not to the hyundai grand i10.
Maruti celerio vs Hyundai i10-irde
Maruti swift vs Hyundai grand i10 [;)]
Its not a comparison of the Celerio and Grand i10, its my perspective on the two as i am currently a Celerio owner and i owned a Grand i10 before that. Grand i10 is just like a benchmark here for me to write about the Celerio on a relative term.

If you can compare celerio with i10 ..1.1 ,please compare....i would like to know that?
Celerio and the good old hyundai i10 are well matched cars except for the refinement which i10 offers over the Celerio. Fit and finish is better in Hyundai ofcourse. But Celerio offers much better fuel efficiency figures than the i10 and the driving experience is pretty peppy. Steering response is also better in the Celerio compared to the i10.

Top Bottom