Used "Budget" Sedan with Rear Independent Suspension

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I'm back with another Car Shopper thread. Looking for a used sedan with Rear Independent Suspension. This car will be a second car at home, occasionally used by my parents (Chauffeur driven) and my weekend drive at hometown (Coimbatore) Reason why I'm looking for rear independent suspension is I have something running in my mind (suspense as of now) for a future project when I could afford it (affordability in terms of Money and time)

Usage Pattern:
- Occasional (hardly 500~700km/month)
- 50:50 City & Highway usage
- 50:50 Chauffeur and Self drive

Requirements:
- Body type : Sedan, with Rear Independent Suspension
- Fuel : Petrol preferred, Diesel accepted [;)]
- Brand : Only Japanese
- FE : Anything on 2 digits
- Maintenance : Should prepare my mind to accept "actuals"
- Resale : Least bothered
- Budget : 1.5L (1.25L for the purchase and 25k for immediate maintenance)

Choices:
I'm left with very limited choices, below in the order of preference
1) Old Honda City Type 2 (2000~2003)
2) Suzuki Baleno
3) Mitsubishi Lancer
4) Maruti Esteem (1998~2007)

I have enough experience with Esteem (almost all generations) Now I need suggestion from fellow owners / users of the other 3 vehicles in terms of
- Maintenance
- Spares availability (in Chennai / Coimbatore or any other source)
- What should I check during / before buying these cars
- How much should I pay for them (depending on the condition & age)
- Rear seat comfort (comparatively, which is best / good)

I have another request, Please let me know if you come across any of these vehicles in good condition. I keep checking Olx, Quikr, etc every now and then. So if you have any other source please do let me know.

Thread Starter #2
Few cars I came across and rejected for various reasons
1) 2001 Lancer Petrol
+ TN38 registered, 2 owners
+ Good exterior & Interior
+ (almost) New Tires
- 1.7L on odo
- Noisy engine
- AC Not working
- Bouncy ride, dampers need replacement
- Asking price 1.5L

2) 2001 Baleno VXi
+ TN38 registered, 2 owners
+ Decent Inside-out
+ LPG (BRC kit)
+ New Tires and Alloys (1st Gen Swift alloys)
+ Engine in decent condition
- 1.2L on odo
- AC Not working
- Clutch needs replacement
- Asking price 1.2L, negotiable upto 1.1L

3) 2000 Honda City Exi
+ Single Owner
+ 78k on odo
+ Good Interiors
+ Engine is smooth
- Too many scratches on body
- Asking price 2.2L

4) 1999 Lancer Petrol
+ Asking price 1L (negotiable)
- 1.2L on odo
- 3 owners
- Almost every bit & piece need immediate replacement

5) 2001 Lancer Diesel
+ I don't remember anything
- Mentioned 98k on the ad, but 3.09L on odo (just walked away)

6) 1998 Esteem
+ Smooth Engine (Both in LPG & Petrol)
+ Engine gets life in a single crank
+ 2 New Tires and other 3 had more than 75% life
+ FC done (Valid till 2018)
+ Asking Price 45k
- 3 Owners
- Complete painting required
- No power steering / power windows
- Dead battery (started the engine with battery from other car)

Out of the 4, I would look at the Maruti Baleno & Honda City. The Seats on the Honda City are very good and the Ride quality on the Baleno is heaven. AC is fantastic too and it was rated the best AC when it was on sale here. Though on the maintenance part, the City is slightly cheaper then Baleno. Some of the parts of Baleno had to be imported and they were expensive. But generally speaking both are very reliable. Both have excellent naturally aspirated engines. The City has marginally better FE.
My dad had both these cars and they were absolutely the best cars at that time.

If only you wanted to consider the koreans, you could look at chevrolet optra. It had an independent rear suspension but its not a car that can be modified/upgraded easily.

Apart from that i honestly think OHC will fit your bill perfectly. regarding body work, I feel you can get a decent paint job done for less than 25K? that is if you manage to find a car thats perfect mechanically and only body work is a let down.

Thread Starter #6
Out of the 4, I would look at the Maruti Baleno & Honda City. The Seats on the Honda City are very good and the Ride quality on the Baleno is heaven.
That's my observation as well. Ride quality in Baleno is far far better than my sunny.
How about Tata Indigo ? Does it not have rear independent suspension ?
Indigo is definitely a good choice for this budget, but that isn't Mod friendly
If only you wanted to consider the koreans, you could look at chevrolet optra.
Optra & Accent were already ruled out Jerwin. Optra Magnum was on my cards before buying Linea.

Mr.Boss as per your shortlisted cars the only ones worth keeping apart from esteem is a OHC or a Baleno. OHC spares are easily available however cant say the same for baleno. for the said budget you can also get a 2003-2004 dolphin Honda city or type 2 Honda city which has good resale as well as spares are abundantly available.

Mr.Boss as per your shortlisted cars, apart from the honda city (even this) all others are having a low seating position (Correct me if i am wrong) so getting in and out by your parents will be difficult i think, so search cars which has good seating position which is much easier for your parents. Because as the car is going to be used by your parents occasionally.

Thread Starter #9
for the said budget you can also get a 2003-2004 dolphin Honda city or type 2 Honda city which has good resale as well as spares are abundantly available.
But my basic requirement is Rear Independent Suspension [evil] which is not available in later generation Citys
search cars which has good seating position which is much easier for your parents. Because as the car is going to be used by your parents occasionally.
Very valid point, but my parents are OK with Old Elantra & Lancer seating position

Very valid point, but my parents are OK with Old Elantra & Lancer seating position
In that case, if you're looking at Elantra do get it checked at authorized service centre. Because the Elantra had 3 biggest niggles
1. Fuel Pump Failure
2. Improper functioning of Fuel System
3. Faulty Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner

If the car you have seen doesn't have these niggles, then Elantra is a good choice. If you're considering Elantra & Lancer, I will suggest you to look at Toyota Corolla.

Thread Starter #11
Seen few cars today and almost finalized a 05 Baleno
- 2005 Model
- LXi variant
- 80k on odo
- Single Owner
- Neat exterior & interiors
- Engine is smooth without any abnormal noise / behavior (except for a little jerk during gear shift)
- Tires with 50% life
- Asking price 1.55L
Added accessories
- Basic HU with decent speakers
- Art leather seat covers

I will be checking the vehicle tomorrow morning (again, in day light) What should I check in specific with Baleno (other than the regular checklist?)

If you're considering Elantra & Lancer, I will suggest you to look at Toyota Corolla.
Elantra is/was not in my list, I said my parents are OK with that vehicle seating position (for a comparison)

Seen few cars today and almost finalized a 05 Baleno
- 2005 Model
- LXi variant
- 80k on odo
- Single Owner
- Neat exterior & interiors
- Engine is smooth without any abnormal noise / behavior (except for a little jerk during gear shift)
- Tires with 50% life
- Asking price 1.55L
Added accessories
- Basic HU with decent speakers
- Art leather seat covers

I will be checking the vehicle tomorrow morning (again, in day light) What should I check in specific with Baleno (other than the regular checklist?
Here are some things you should check
1. Front Suspension Lower Arm
2. Dampers
3. Underbody

Apart from these, I don't remember any major problems in Baleno.

Thats a good choice Mr.Boss. But dont you think procuring spares for this is a Herculian task. no doubt it has a wonderful engine. in fact this Flat torque engine has a charm of its own. however spares are the only problem. if that problem is resolved then its a great buy. I hope and I know you Might have thought over this. Congratulations on the buy hope you enjoy many more safe and happy miles on it.

Thread Starter #15
Thats a good choice Mr.Boss. But dont you think procuring spares for this is a Herculian task.
Thanks Buddy.
From the user reviews and experience getting spares is difficult and time consuming but not impossible. This car is not the primary drive and I don't mind waiting for the spares.

Top Bottom