Help Me Pick Between VW Polo TDi or Swift VDi

Thread Starter #1
I am totally confused between these cars.....my mind is saying purchase swift --it is better in mileage and cost
but my heart says go for vw polo it is fun to drive, better build quality.

Please help me i m planning to buy car in this month.

Welcome to TAI,Arjun.
You have the answer in the question itself.If you want large service network and cheaper (supposed to be)to maintain car, go for Swift VDi. If you want to have a different car with a little bit more style go for Polo. If money and resale value is not an issue you can go for Polo.

My friend uses a vw polo and he is quit satisfied with the car and service. It does not have a wide spread network of sales and service but its good. Driving pleasure , style and status make polo a good choice.

I am totally confused between these cars.....my mind is saying purchase swift --it is better in mileage and cost
but my heart says go for vw polo it is fun to drive, better build quality.

Please help me i m planning to buy car in this month.
I can tell you Pro's and Con's of Polo, because i own one.[:D]

One thing you have to keep in mind with polo is that rear seat space is less. The ingress in polo is difficult in my opinion, if you have elderly people in family and they are going to travel in the car frequently, i think you should consider this.
It is without any question a fun to drive car. IMO noise filters in cabin of Polo, that can be irritating at times. Polo's High speed stabily is awesome. The Sporty steering wheel definitely feels upmarket (Is there anything which doesn't feel upmarket about polo?)

Wish it helps in your decision making.[:)]

seriously VW polo is a car you will love. I'm owning a polo GT TSI, and can assure that polo is best car in this segment.
You will love it's German feel. :)

Last edited:
Both cars has their own pros and cons. If you compare engine smoothness then I will surely say FIAT MJD in swift wins the race. But overall Polo is great car leaving the space in rear seat.

I would suggest you to go for top variant in both car to get maximum SAFETY.

I would suggest you to go and Test Drive below models

- Polo TDi
- Swift ZDi
- Punto Evo 90 HP
- Pulse RxZ

Even if many of them are not in you list, still drive it to refine your judgment.

If you ask me then Punto Evo 90 HP would suit your requirement.

Polo is better. Comes with dual airbags as standard. Swift has problems regarding safety especially shell safety. Swift had a disgraceful performance in NCAP crash test. Polo is better engineered than the swift. Built quality is superb. I think swift is too common on our roads and with huge safety issues the car is better avoided.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Is swift really unsafe ? Is the body really weak. My brother drives one without airbags. Is it dangerous? Some one please confirm it. Please tell me if it is really bad ? He does long journeys in his car . Please help me I am terribly worried about his safety.
See John, no car in today's time can be termed as 100% safe leaving aside armored cars like S-600 guard or A8 guard or BMW guard[:)]. About weak body, yes, in comparison to Germans, Japanese like Maruti's body is on lighter side. Try opening door of a Polo and then a Swift, you'll see the difference. In terms of safety, Vdi Swift has an ABS but Polo I am sure has better safety features in comparison. As of long journeys, if there are 3 people then journey in that car is fine, if 4 are there then the journey is ok but if you try to squeeze a 5th pax then it gets tight. So if you are concerned for safety then opt for Polo diesel and if you are concerned for better ASC network and maintenance then buy Swift as the VW ASC network and the service is on lower side.

Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member
All Japanese brands have this problem ? Oh my god I thought my Lancer was safe despite it lacking airbags. Please any information on Mitsubishi's structure strength. I am so worried now. Please help me.
John comparing a Lancer to a present day Swift is like comparing Apples to Oranges[lol]. Mitsubishi Lancer of a decade back is still safer than the Japanese cars we are getting today be it HCIL or MSIL. It won't be wise to compare a car of that time to the ones in present days. You have to choose from choices available today whether you like it or not buddy.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Mr.John ,
Either you can advise youre brother to add after market airbags(I am not sure on cost incurred on same,i won't prefer ),if you can spend some more money then go for new models,either Swift zxi (One with Airbag), wait for figo aspire also though its a compact sedan it doesn't compromise on safety.

Top Bottom