What Car? Hyundai Elite i20 or Honda Jazz Top-End (Petrol)?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Few weeks back i just sold my Fiat Punto as i am completely tired with the Fiat Service and car itself had started giving lot of problems.

There are few criteria which needs to be present in the Car :

Looks
Premium Interior Quality
All the must Features ( Push Start , Touch Screen , Alloys , Key less Entry )
Hassle Free service.

Looking at these options i shortlisted 2 cars which is Elite I20 and Honda Jazz. My running is just 700 KM per month hence i decided to opt for a petrol car as the top end diesel car cost was 1.7 lac more which i found it not worth.

Took test drive of Elite I20 and was completely blown away by the features provided , Premium feel of Interiors and it just had everything what i required in the Car.
Only thing which was missing was Touch Screen Unit for which Hyundai made news that they are going to launch new Touch Screen variant on 8th July 2015.
Pre-Booking done with Shreenath Hyundai and the car is costing me 8.35 On road with 3-4th Extended Warranty ( Without Touch Screen Cost ) Mumbai Registration.

At same time i saw Honda jazz coming up with its new launch with amazing Space , Touchscreen / AVN System , Touch Screen AC Unit.
2 Things i found missing in the car was the Push Start Button and 16 inch Alloys.

Saw both the Car reviews on lot of websites , youtube and what i found was that people are giving more preference towards hyundai Elite i20 due to its premium Build Quality and the amount of features being provided with the Car.

Jazz was always my first choice when i saw the international Version but the indian version has been compromised with lack of features ( Push Start , Alloys , Skinny Tyres ) and the Build Quality.

I really need good advice what car do i go for as i am unable to decide.[frustration][frustration][frustration]

Please help

Re: Which Car to buy Hyundai Elite I20 or Honda Jazz Top end Petrol

If you need a more fun to drive car then go for Honda Jazz or else as you mentioned you need some premium interior's with some features then go in for the Elite i 20.

(OR)

Wait for the Hyundai Creta (even though if it is going to be priced higher), when you are about to opt for the Elite i 20.

Last edited:

Certain decisions shouldn't be taken in a hurry.

Alloys and tyres can be fixed later. You have to decide how important the Push-Button Start feature is. You mentioned "Took test drive of Elite I20 and was completely blown away by the features provided". Features should come into picture only after the main criteria like "Engine / Gear Shift / Ride Comfort / Handling (if you intend to push the car to its limits) / Safety / Braking" etc are analysed. Of course, you would know this, but me mentioning as I have time to kill.

About the interiors: at the time of delivery of old Jazz (for a friend, about 3 Yrs back, IIRC), I sat in the rear bench of a City and City felt way too good. In fact the sales guys realised I was almost sold, and switched their attention to me [:)] . Between the Elite i20 and 2014 spec City, I didn't feel that large a gap.

Has Hyundai upped the game ? Will Jazz raise up to match City's level of Comfy ? Have patience is what I can say.

BTW, I derive [evil] pleasure attempting to confuse people. At this price point, why not have a TD of Polo TSi ? Fantastic build, Classic looks, essential features, big car feel, effortless long hours for front passengers (I'll leave rear comfort to the owners to explain) and one heck of a Hot Hatch. At least for the sake of TD, take it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

I have already done for the Pre-booking for both the cars. 8th July i would decide the fate whether to go for Jazz or Elite. [:D]

Most probably it would be Elite as the amount of features n all its providing. Jazz is very good looking car and i was expecting a lot from it but the turn off was the features being cut down in indian version. I jut waiting to see how the build and ride quality is.

Jazz is something where i would be comprising on lot of features.

Creta looks good but max i can stretch my budget is 10 lac . If i can get a SX model under 10L then might opt for that :P

Gone are the days when Hyundai couldn't lock horns with Honda, now the story is different and so are the brands. There was a time when Honda had its focus more on quality and premium feel, now Honda is also getting in line with mainstream manufacturers just to get more and more volumes; all their recent launches are a fantastic example of this.
Although Honda will try to make a major comeback with the Jazz and maybe the Jazz will bring the short lived party of i20 but going by the trends, Honda is gonna charge a bit premium for nothing but their logo.

IMO, wait for Jazz but don't lose your heart on any of the two. i20 is a very competitive product and the VFM factor as well as its feel are really tough to match.

Thread Starter #6

Hey I completely agree with you over here. Jazz was always my first choice and that's why I booked it early than the elite.
Honda are really good when it comes to drive quality suspension and the performance but when I saw the Indian model review where they have compromised on lot of things When u compare it to the international version , I was somehow disappointed :(. No doubt it will be a good car and I would doing TD for sure before making my final choice.

I get too fascinated when I see those big allows keyless entry premium build coz these things I always wanted in my next car . What I think is if I buy this car it would be with me for the next 4 years for sure so why not get all the features lol.

I am sounding like a kid over here but when I see other cars with such features I go crazy lol

Certain decisions shouldn't be taken in a hurry.

Alloys and tyres can be fixed later. You have to decide how important the Push-Button Start feature is. You mentioned "Took test drive of Elite I20 and was completely blown away by the features provided". Features should come into picture only after the main criteria like "Engine / Gear Shift / Ride Comfort / Handling (if you intend to push the car to its limits) / Safety / Braking" etc are analysed. Of course, you would know this, but me mentioning as I have time to kill.

About the interiors: at the time of delivery of old Jazz (for a friend, about 3 Yrs back, IIRC), I sat in the rear bench of a City and City felt way too good. In fact the sales guys realised I was almost sold, and switched their attention to me [:)] . Between the Elite i20 and 2014 spec City, I didn't feel that large a gap.

Has Hyundai upped the game ? Will Jazz raise up to match City's level of Comfy ? Have patience is what I can say.

BTW, I derive [evil] pleasure attempting to confuse people. At this price point, why not have a TD of Polo TSi ? Fantastic build, Classic looks, essential features, big car feel, effortless long hours for front passengers (I'll leave rear comfort to the owners to explain) and one heck of a Hot Hatch. At least for the sake of TD, take it.

Thread Starter #7

True these cars choices are making me mad day by day . All I do in office is just search search n only search . I guess unless the car doesn't get complexly get booked I won't be able to sleep.

Jazz looks sexy for sure few but let's see now how they prize it

Now to compete the touch screen Hyundai also getting the same lol. If they price is correctly around 15-20k less than any Hyundai model then Hyundai will have tough competition

Very early to say as Hyundai has hit bullseye with elite and yes it is a crazy car

Gone are the days when Hyundai couldn't lock horns with Honda, now the story is different and so are the brands. There was a time when Honda had its focus more on quality and premium feel, now Honda is also getting in line with mainstream manufacturers just to get more and more volumes; all their recent launches are a fantastic example of this.
Although Honda will try to make a major comeback with the Jazz and maybe the Jazz will bring the short lived party of i20 but going by the trends, Honda is gonna charge a bit premium for nothing but their logo.

IMO, wait for Jazz but don't lose your heart on any of the two. i20 is a very competitive product and the VFM factor as well as its feel are really tough to match.

Thread Starter #8

Polo I somehow don't like it and the VW is really bad hence polo is not there in my list at all .

Most probably it would be Elite as the amount of features n all its providing. Jazz is very good looking car and i was expecting a lot from it but the turn off was the features being cut down in indian version. I jut waiting to see how the build and ride quality is.

Jazz is something where i would be comprising on lot of features.
I have always said and will again say now, Hyundai loads the car with features but does that mean each and every car should have all those features ?? I sincerely think no, because certain cars have certain USPs and will be highlight, and Hyundai have decided to have better equipped cars then its rivals. So, the Jazz misses out on some features like Auto Headlamps, Push Button Start/Stop etc, but these features aren't available on Polo & Punto whcih are again premium hatchbacks. If VW had given all the features that Polo gets abroad, it would be too costly and ultimately VW would pay the price. We Indians are different from others, we want cars that aren't expensive and we also want to have features in it. That combo is very difficult, more so for manufactures. Hence, there is no meaning in highlighting the lack of some features that i20 gets which major rivals lack.

Just to make it easier for you, I have i20 Diesel, its a damn good car, especially the diesel one. The Petrol is a disappointment though. I too had considered Jazz, Polo & i20 but the delay launch of Jazz made me to look at i20 & Polo. I would have bought Polo eyes closed, but then i also have Rapid which shares same interiors & engine as Polo, this made me to choose i20 by default.

i20 does very well in 4 areas, that is in terms of Looks, Performance(Diesel), Equipment, After Sales. Other factors like Ride, Handling, Space, Comfort are all behind the Rivals. Though way improved over older one, it still doesn't Ride & Handle like Polo/Punto. Space too though better then Polo/Punto but is miles behind Jazz.

The Jazz is overall better package because it has better Petrol Engine & More Efficient Diesel Engine, it Rides & Handles better, it is more Spacious & Practical and it also boasts of better brand image(Subjective). Though it is not as loaded as i20, but i20 too has its cons na. I would be more happier if my passengers are comfortable & not complaining rather then having fancy gadgets.

If i was in a similar situation as you, i would pick the Jazz for the above reason. In fact, after getting i20 in January this year, i am looking to replace my Brio or WagonR that we have with us with the Jazz.

Brilliant explanation by Mr.Nishant

Just reminding- Ivtec its a benchmark for petrol engine by Honda.The concept of variable valve timing was beautified by Honda

Thread Starter #11

Whoaa...your explanation sold me Jazz already [clap]. Thanks you for the great advice. I will wait for the Jazz to launch check everything and decide :-)
I have always said and will again say now, Hyundai loads the car with features but does that mean each and every car should have all those features ?? I sincerely think no, because certain cars have certain USPs and will be highlight, and Hyundai have decided to have better equipped cars then its rivals. So, the Jazz misses out on some features like Auto Headlamps, Push Button Start/Stop etc, but these features aren't available on Polo & Punto whcih are again premium hatchbacks. If VW had given all the features that Polo gets abroad, it would be too costly and ultimately VW would pay the price. We Indians are different from others, we want cars that aren't expensive and we also want to have features in it. That combo is very difficult, more so for manufactures. Hence, there is no meaning in highlighting the lack of some features that i20 gets which major rivals lack.

Just to make it easier for you, I have i20 Diesel, its a damn good car, especially the diesel one. The Petrol is a disappointment though. I too had considered Jazz, Polo & i20 but the delay launch of Jazz made me to look at i20 & Polo. I would have bought Polo eyes closed, but then i also have Rapid which shares same interiors & engine as Polo, this made me to choose i20 by default.

i20 does very well in 4 areas, that is in terms of Looks, Performance(Diesel), Equipment, After Sales. Other factors like Ride, Handling, Space, Comfort are all behind the Rivals. Though way improved over older one, it still doesn't Ride & Handle like Polo/Punto. Space too though better then Polo/Punto but is miles behind Jazz.

The Jazz is overall better package because it has better Petrol Engine & More Efficient Diesel Engine, it Rides & Handles better, it is more Spacious & Practical and it also boasts of better brand image(Subjective). Though it is not as loaded as i20, but i20 too has its cons na. I would be more happier if my passengers are comfortable & not complaining rather then having fancy gadgets.

If i was in a similar situation as you, i would pick the Jazz for the above reason. In fact, after getting i20 in January this year, i am looking to replace my Brio or WagonR that we have with us with the Jazz.

Top Bottom