Best Diesel Hatchback For Around Rs.6 Lacs

Thread Starter #1
Hello Automotive Indians...!!!
I am very much confused because of various choices in hatchback segment with respective pros and cons of their own. I'll be using this car in city and on highways as well. 75-80% of the time it will be used by me and my wife with two persons on board and rest of the time it will have to bear the weight of all 5 persons in the family. Kindly suggest me a good overall package out of following:

Maruti Ritz (VDI)
pros:
maruti after sales and services
tried and tested multijet engine
good and consistent mileage
good handling for a tall boy structure
60:40 split seats
adjustable head rests and comfortable seats

cons:
dated design but it looks ok to me
less space compared to competition
laggy nature below 2000rpm
body roll
30,000rs/- above my budget

Grand i10 (magna)
pros:
good after sales and services
fresh and good looking design
spacious than ritz
Feature rich
best interior in the segment

cons:
3 cylinder diesel with average highway performance
no adjustable headrests
light steering for highways
front suspension bottoms when fully loaded(as per observation from forum members)
no 60:40 split seats
inconsistent mileage

Fiat Punto Evo (active)
pros:
Driving pleasure comparable to a sedans
Looks to die for
reliable multijet engine
superb ride and handling
spacious and comfortable
adjustable headrests with good seats
longest wheelbase and good GC

cons:
fiat after sales and services
laggy than other mentioned choices
higher turning radius
little awkward ergonomics

Chevrolet Beat (LT)
pros:
top trim(LT) is in my budget
60:40 split seats
very useful features (rear defogger, height adjustable driver's seat, music system)
excellent mileage
3 year maintenance pack
50,000rs/- cheaper than above 3 options
seats with adjustable headrests even at this price

cons:
least spacious as compared to other 3 options
small car like feel as compared to others

Please give me your valuable inputs to clear my confusion.

Re: Best diesel hatchback around 6 lacs

I would go with Punto Evo in the Options you have listed, but i would also look at i20, Polo & Jazz because these are Premium Hatchbacks & they will be good for City & Highway rides. And since they are wider as well, they can accommodate 5 people. And all of these cars have proper 4 cylinder engines, so you should look at these cars

Hello Automotive Indians...!!!
I am very much confused because of various choices in hatchback segment with respective pros and cons of their own ... Kindly suggest me a good overall package out of following:

Maruti Ritz (VDI)
cons:
dated design but it looks ok to me
less space compared to competition
laggy nature below 2000rpm
body roll
30,000rs/- above my budget

Grand i10 (magna)
cons:
no adjustable headrests
light steering for highways
front suspension bottoms when fully loaded(as per observation from forum members)
inconsistent mileage

Fiat Punto Evo (active)
cons:
fiat after sales and services
laggy than other mentioned choices
higher turning radius
little awkward ergonomics

Chevrolet Beat (LT)
cons:
least spacious as compared to other 3 options
small car like feel as compared to others

Please give me your valuable inputs to clear my confusion.
With such clear understanding, how come you claim you are confused ? You are a Liar [evil] . Go thro' the Cons that YOU have listed and see which ones are insignificant and which might drive YOU up the wall real real real Mad. Use Process of elimination to Book the car of YOUR choice. BTW, why don't you expand the choice of vehicles from current four ? Good luck.

Well among the three i would say go for either the Punto or Grand, Punto if you're not bothered about resale value else realistically speaking Grand. Ritz i feel would be discontinued soon and otherwise is a good buy as well.

Best diesel hatchback around 6 lacs

ritz could be discontinued soon. Beat is also due for an update. Punto's aftersales will take away the joy of owning it!

Out of these 4, grand will make most sense and its engine though small, is very drivable in the city.. highway performance could be a little anemic but it is just enough for the highways as well.

You can even explore swift Ldi (it will be within your budget, i guess), i know the rear legroom is pretty small but that's the only compromise you make with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

You didn't specified the 6 Lakh Budget is Showroom Price or On Road Price?
If that's for Showroom budget, I think Swift VDI is best suits for you. The present New Swift VDI comes with ABS and actually a good value for the money.

However, you may wait for Honda Jazz too. (If you could able to enhance your budget)

Check out TATA Bolt if you like ritz because Tata Bolt can carry 5 Passengers easily and it is much more stable in the highway than the ritz.

I had a ritz VDI (now sold) the Fourth service costed a bomb with many oil changes, etc. And it is not much stable past 100 Kmph (Braking) in the highway once i had to brake suddenly and the rear passengers said that the car was slightly lifted off (not much from the ground) but i didn't feel it. And ritz is little bit underpowered on the highways and it's rear legroom is not sufficient for the adults (during the long drives) but it has a decent amount of space.

So test drive the TATA Bolt which will be under your budget, i think. And TATA's Service is much cheaper to maintain than the Maruti's when it is under AMC.

Best diesel hatchback around 6 lacs

Tata Bolt is one good suggestion but aftersales and resale value are still a big question. Add to that its weird pricing (just 30k less than zest).
Still you can test drive it before taking a decision.

Since Ritz is likely to be discontinued and beat getting updated, poor after sales of punto (remember its the best drivers car among listed here) makes sense to stay away from them.

Only Grand i10 left here. But keep in mind that it's heavy on pocket during maintenance once warranty/free service is over You can also check out the new MS Celerio Diesel. Good luck.

Have a test drive of Tata Bolt and see if you like it as lot of discounts available these days on bolt.

From the list the only worthy car is I10 grand but then the Bolt can take the lead as the closest one with superbly feature packed and best interior space for 5.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hi Buddy, In your budget, I would say go for either the Hyundai Grand i10 or the Tata Bolt. For your comfort you may have a look on our Bolt Review. Keeping aside the fact that for majority it resembles to Vista, but apart from that its a car worth considering. As you are in Delhi, any time you need any clarification, assistance so just buzz me here.[:)]

Regards

Akash

I would recommend Beat or Figo. You may need to stretch your budget a little bit. Even RITZ is a good bet.

-CARleone

Considering Resale value and other aspects in market, buying the TATA Bolt is no longer a value for money, especially for their redicuclous pricing strategy between BOlt & Zest.

Maruti Swift become very valued product after they added ABS in their VDI edition. (Ofcourse, you will have to miss driver airbag and music system). But any day, you can have good resale value for the product. But things are changing so good in Indian Market. Soon or later, All the Indian cars may come with airbags and ABS as mandatory.

Have you checked out the Tata Bolt. Its bang for the buck. Its an earnest reqeust to take a close look at tata bolt before you finalise you decision.

Here it goes a Price comparison between Tata Bolt & Maruti Swfit. (I took their mid range which have ABS as standard and No Airbags in both editions)

TATA Bolt - XM Diesel: 6.12 Lakhs (Ex-showroom, New Delhi)
Maruti Suzuki Swift - VDI Diesel: 6.22 Lakhs (Ex-showroom, New Delhi)

For More Details: Compare Tata Bolt vs Maruti Suzuki Swift - CarWale

Top Bottom