Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 Diesel

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I wanna buy a new car and i have narrowed down my choice to Maruti Swift and Hyundai i20.
My monthly running is around 3000km,so i have opted the diesel variant.
I want a car with good engine performance and good comfort level.Also i am waiting for Honda Jazz and Maruti S-Cross.
Plus i want to know the benefits of Smart access key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a Jazz in the family and it was always an amazing package in its previous avatar and this one promises to be a straight success , considering Honda is going to launch it in diesel and no other car in its category would give you the kind of space and performance this hell of a hatchback provides. Plus honda has learnt its lessons now and are expected to price this one reasonably.
Smart access keys benefits? It can start the car, lock-unlock it as long as the sensors in the car detect the smart key in your pocket. Cant think of any benefit apart from the fact that it saves you the trouble of putting your hands in your trousers and take out that ton-heavy key, shove it in the ignition and burn some good calories in turning it on :D .

Last edited:
Re: Buying New Car

i20 is spacious than swift. choose i20 over swift IMO. But wait for Jazz. They may offer a VFM package.

I believe the Smart key access having disadvantages as well,

- need to be extra cautious. If you place the keys in Cubby holes and forget to pick the same. this is common since we will be less worried comparatively.

Re: Buying New Car

It would be fair to compare SWIFT with older generation of i20. But now Elite i20 has moved to a little upper level in terms of luxury and features it offers; Off course you will have to pay a little more for that. The big body, plashing interior and neatly defined exterior with 16" alloys is best place to be in.

SWIFT is rather made for the driving enthusiast. Now the latest generation has been improved with some good features.

If you wish to drive a DIESEL hatch then i20 Diesel cannot be compared with SWIFT, Punto Evo, POLO. These are some of the best performer.

Wait for JAZZ diesel launch. I am worried that Honda's i-dtec couldn't give a big leap to HONDA as like i-vtec.

If you are looking for a big car then S-Cross may be the choice, but will have to wait for some time.

I would suggest to finalize the budget you wish to spend. This can only help to decide the best choice for you.

Swift and S cross will be different segments.
Confused about your budget. Any way even i20 elite is a segment above swift. By looks and space,I would suggest elite i20.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the reply.
Well I am willing to shed off 9lacs for these beauties.
I also love elite i20 over the swift but since my monthly running is more so i am worried more about the average and driving experience of i20.
Since some people mentioned swift is meant for the driving enthusiasts,does this mean i20 is not fun to drive or it lacks performance in the area of driving??

Thanks everyone for the reply.
I also love elite i20 over the swift but since my monthly running is more so i am worried more about the average and driving experience of i20.
Since some people mentioned swift is meant for the driving enthusiasts,does this mean i20 is not fun to drive or it lacks performance in the area of driving??
It depends. Just take a TD of i20 and Swift back to back and decide for yourself! I would suggest to go with i20, because it is much better in terms of space, features, ride, comfort and diesel i20 is highway cruiser!

Think of vwPolo, fiat Avventura & Evo Punto also.
I20 steering is on lighter side, steering experience is excellent at parking speed but on highway it doesn't get heavier and is not confidence inspiring.

My monthly running is around 3000km
For such distance, you should also think of driving comfort (ride & handling) Fiat Avventura & Evo punto & vw Polo scores better than i20 & swift on these fronts.
.Also i am waiting for Honda Jazz and Maruti S-Cross.
Jazz:
Looking at the sales figures & pricing of CITY 4G despite cost cutting measures, I don't think they will price it in VFM range.

Maruti Scross : Do check Avventura.

I have heard that the mileage of i20 is not good,rather on the downside.
Is it true?
Yes true, more so in the petrol avatar. Diesel is decent though. My brother has Diesel i20 and he I getting around 13 kmpl in City drives with AC all the time. I expected this figure to be slightly higher, because our Petrol only WagonR gives 15kmpl. Though I am expecting the mileage figures to improve after 2nd service.

Rather than deciding between Swift & i20, you can also wait for Jazz which is a very good packaged car IMO. It's a better car then Swift & i20. This time, Honda have promised competitive pricing.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I would not choose the swift.

I will say go for the i20 or the polo. You will get minimum of 14kmpl in city driving from both of the cars.

Polo parts and service may be expensive but you should know what all needs to be done before hand or else mostly every service center charge on unnecessarily be it maruti or vw or hyundai.

Take a TD and decide.

4 months back I was in the same state of confusion: Zest XMA or Elite Sports(O). My running is also 3000+kms and the overall cost factor made me ditch the i20. The reason why I didn't opt for elite i20 are (purely cost sensitive):
a) High initial cost as compared to zest (40-50k over XMA and add to that the finance cost)
b) High fuel consumption (15-16 kmpl for elite vs 18+ for zest- that's almost 1000-1200 bucks each month)
c) Gold AMC on zest (service free till 45k kms- though I paid 18k bucks for that initially but it would still be less as compared to equivalent service cost for elite)
d) 15k kms service interval for zest (again some cost savings)
e) 3 years and 100k kms warranty on zest + 4th year extended (elite offers 2 years std warranty and extended warranty for just 3rd year- huge warranty required for such a cab type running)
Though the elite is an excellent package but my "cost of ownership" constraints made me choose the zest. The other advantages that came free with the zest are:
a) AMT gearbox- not refined but is highly comfortable for city drives
b) Front seat comfort
c) huge rear seat space ( I normally travel on pleasure trip with 3-4 friends)
d) Superb drive and chassis
e) Silent cabin
f) The HK system sounds out of the world

P.S- Swift was never in consideration for the "lower than standards" rear seat space (read knee room)

I would suggest you check the falcon twins aka Zest and Bolt. They (Even though being Tata Products) are a worthy competitor which should not be overlooked.

these have excellent features apart from tried and tested Quadrajet Diesel heart. Zest has an AMT over and above stable engine.

Elite is a very good car but attarcts premium. Switf is people car. 4 in 5 car is a swift however space is big big constraint.

I would suggest you TD every car and then make your choice.

If I was in your position which i am right now...i would check out Honda Jazz and Tata Zest. Elite I20 well if its only 4 people who would be travelling and you are okay.however with the 5th person you would be compromising on comfort. TD all three cars however and choose one of these three you cannot go wrong with either of these.

Last edited:

Top Bottom