Should I Get a Pajero Sport?

Thread Starter #1
WE currently have a XUV 500. Driven around 95000kms in 3 years time. The journey has been great, though with little bumps on the way. We are considering replacing XUV 500 as it has clocked our usual vehicle change kms. The replacement should be a SUV and should be good on highways.

Options:
Pajero Sport, new XUV 500, Fortuner, Endeavour, Innova

Fortuner, Endeavour and Innova will be in our market by 2016, from what I read online. While I initially thought of waiting till 2016 and go for replacement, 2 TD of Pajero sport has changed my mind.

First TD was the auto variant as it was their only demo car, which was reasonably smooth but I really want a MT only, as our usage is primarily inter-city runs. So, they arranged for a MT Pajero, which was a new car supposed to be for the Dealer’s director. I always thought Pajero sport was an Okay looker, but the current facelift impressed me a lot. The suspension is even more impressive. Ride and handling is the best I have seen in a full size SUV. For my driving style, turbo lag isn’t very pronounced. Entire car feels solidly built.

On the downside, interior space is limited. Floor is high and the roof is low. You have to lift yourself to get in and crouch so that you don’t hit your head. Space when compared to XUV is very less, at least for the first 2 rows. And the cabin is narrower and more sedan like character. And I will be missing a lot in features, including the 6th gear and auto door lock. I also feel that getting another XUV, though improved won’t give you the new car feel. While XUV costs around 17 lacs for the w8 FWD variant, Pajero sport costs 29.5 lacs. I have to pay more, lose lots of features and less mileage too. I’m also worried about Mitsubishi service and company’s future.

Please share your insight and help me clear the dilemma.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Buddy, In my view, safest bet would be to go for new XUV-500 face-lift because you are conversant with the car and after sales services. Mahindra would be happy to exchange your old one with the new XUV. It is viable only if you are not bored of driving the XUV-500 all these years.

Second best option would be Fortuner, it is a good SUV with a massive look and Toyota cars/suv are low on maintenance and engine is also very nice in general. I feel MT Fortuner can be a good one. Now you decide in prior whether to go for 4x2 or 4x4 version.

Endeavor by Ford, I guess its outdated now. Lastly, Innova is an MPV and has its limitation against a proper SUV for Eg, You can't think of doing a proper off-road drive with Innova.

Regards

Akash

If you go for a pajero, you will definitely enjoy the premium Suv feel, albeit at the cost of many features, uncertain After sale future and space constraints. I would not include innova in the list as its strictly a people mover and quite sluggish compared to true blood Suvs or even a crossover like XUV. IMO Fortuner's ride is pathetic and its selling only because of its looks and the 'toyota' badge. There are a few options that come to my mind. One is to go for XUV but with w10 variant which comes with an improved suspension, driving dynamics and most importantly a sunroof and plethora of other luxury features, giving you a novelty feel all over again despite going for the same vehicle. It will also save you about 10 lacs. In case you want to go for a totally new vehicle, wait for the new Endy, which seems quite promising in the reviews. By the way Have you tried the new Storme?

Last edited:
+1 to Akash.
First strike out Innova ,as an SUV.Second do a test drive of the fortuner.Yes you may lose lots of bells and whistles from Indian variants when you compare with Non Indian automotive company.The refreshed XUV should have been a nice buy for you but the same looks inside may bore you.
Endeavour is a truck still and needs a facelift.So,if not fortuner then pajero.[cheers]

@akash, I guess he was talking about the new endy which is supposed to be launched in 2016. Its got some really nice reviews in the auto-magazines.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I guess he was talking about the new endy which is supposed to be launched in 2016. Its got some really nice reviews in the auto-magazines.
Buddy based on the quoted below statement of OP, I suggested my view. Yet I would say, he has made a wise move by not waiting till 2016. And the only two viable options I feel are XUV-500 Face-lift and Fortuner MT. Waiting for Endeavor till 2016 is not feasible, a lot of things are to be published and made clear about it. So, if he intends to buy in 2015, he'll have to consider the existing Ford Endeavor only.

While I initially thought of waiting till 2016 and go for replacement, 2 TD of Pajero sport has changed my mind.
Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I think I wasn't clear before. Innova, Fortuner and Endeavour all are next gen. I want to know,
1. if Pajero sport is worth the buy? considering Mitsubishi's future in India.
2. replacing XUV with another XUV is a sane decision? Or should I just keep it till warranty expires at 5years/1.5 lacs kms.
3. Or should i wait for next gen Innova, Fortuner or Endeavour?

XUV is a great contender and would save 10 lacs. It has features that other cars can only dream of. But it is a familiar car for us. I'm worried if we will be tired of it after few months.

Current fortuner is ruled out because of the lumpy ride.

@Storme on d way, I haven't test drove Storme and don't think our family will be ready for another TATA, due to the bad experiences with Indica and Vista. I have driven Aria and didn't like the driveability of the engine. Too much lag for my liking. Considering Storme has the same engine, don't think there will be a big difference.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
If your existing car is not giving you any problem , i'll recommend to wait for all the 3 upcoming facelifts and use your existing xuv.
Replacing with xuv will not be a sane decision. You'll still feel inside an xuv, it's just a facelift.

Have you checked the santa fe ? I don't know how the car rides but it sure looks good.

Edit : just noticed that you included innova as an upcoming facelift. I think pajero facelift will also come. Images has been leaked. Do search on the internet for pajero facelift.

Last edited:
I misunderstood. My bad :) but still I would not suggest a fortuner to anyone who wants a comfortable ride out of a suv. But yes, facelifted xuv does make sense, especially the W10 variant since he has the budget and is familiar with the nitty gritties of dealing with M n M.

Yes it does have the same engine which the updated aria has but it has been tweaked to give a better output, lag free performance and a super light clutch, which translates into a stress free drive. Suggested you only because your primary usage will be on highway and nothing beats the highway manners of storme. An AT storme is also a possibility by november. A test drive of the updated version wont hurt :D. I was floored by the drive, comfort and elegant interiors. Now only if my family was not stuck up about buying a Tata, it would have been in my stable by now.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Yes it does have the same engine which the updated aria has but it has been tweaked to give a better output, lag free performance and a super light clutch, which translates into a stress free drive. Suggested you only because your primary usage will be on highway and nothing beats the highway manners of storme. An AT storme is also a possibility by november. A test drive of the updated version wont hurt :D. I was floored by the drive, comfort and elegant interiors. Now only if my family was not stuck up about buying a Tata, it would have been in my stable by now.
Not just that. The 3rd row will be used on restaurant/movie drives. Storme's side facing seats just won't do the job. Safari will have comfortable ride but I read reviews that Storme's handling is not as good as Aria. XUV is a better handler than Aria. I would do a test drive when I get time. We frequently travel on 2 way roads, which are narrow and has unexpected turns, so need a safe handling car.

If your existing car is not giving you any problem , i'll recommend to wait for all the 3 upcoming facelifts and use your existing xuv.
Replacing with xuv will not be a sane decision. You'll still feel inside an xuv, it's just a facelift.

Have you checked the santa fe ? I don't know how the car rides but it sure looks good.

Edit : just noticed that you included innova as an upcoming facelift. I think pajero facelift will also come. Images has been leaked. Do search on the internet for pajero facelift.
That's what I was worried about, I will get bored soon. Thanks for the heads up, I will research for Pajero's facelift.
And I never checked Santa Fe. It is very expensive.

Last edited:
@Crazy Cat:
Let me try to be very short and conclusive.
If you want an engine and gearbox+a lot of features, go for XUV and if you want a true hardcore mens' SUV then look nowhere else other than then Paj. It has all the necessary features but what if offers, an XUV can never.

My suggestion would be to wait as you already have a good car, just wait a little more and you should have more choice than you have now and you would make a better decision.

Thread Starter #14
And I forgot to mention, XUV gives us 14+kpl consistently. Don't any other SUVs can give that.

@Crazy Cat:
Let me try to be very short and conclusive.
If you want an engine and gearbox+a lot of features, go for XUV and if you want a true hardcore mens' SUV then look nowhere else other than then Paj. It has all the necessary features but what if offers, an XUV can never.
If I'm buying a SUV for my use, It will be the Pajero. But I have to convince my family, which is a big task. Do you suggest anything other than Pajero or XUV?
My suggestion would be to wait as you already have a good car, just wait a little more and you should have more choice than you have now and you would make a better decision.
That makes sense. Waiting is really painful.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
If you can convince your family then buy the pajero, if not then wait :p

Jokes apart. You can check out the ssyangyong rexton. Head to the mahindra showroom and check out both the cars including the xuv facelift. Take a td of both the cars , make it long.

Anyways since you sell your car within 3-4 years you should also look at the reslae value. In the suv market , fortuner will offer you the best resale value.

But if you buy any car now and a facelifts come then the resale will be affected.
About the santa fe , take a TD Just for comparison sake and maybe the dealer can give you good discounts.

Last edited:

Top Bottom