Tata Indica Petrol Sold; New Car Wanted

Which Car

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have sold my Dad's Indica Xeta after having it for close to 7 years, now its time to take a new work horse for my daily runs. Daily runs would be close 50 kms a day, once a month 500 km drives and a yearly once 1000 km drive. I have a budget of max 9 Lakhs. I like the Tata Zest XT Quadrajet but have my eyes glued to Honda Jazz and Ford Aspire, more on Honda Jazz than Ford Aspire coz i don't think Aspire would offer the space Zest would or Jazz would. I like the Toyota Etios as well as its a practical car and i would get the Etios VD version which pretty loaded but i found a little bland on interiors.

Please Advise on cars, and what would be a better choice.

re: Indica Petrol Sold; New Car Wanted

With ~25k kms yearly running, you should be looking at diesel cars.

If you are ready to wait for the Jazz and Aspire, then the Jazz will fit the bill perfectly. It will be more spacious than the Zest and Aspire (going by the standards it had set earlier) and if priced competetively, should fall under your budget.

Don't go for the Toyota Etios, and that too a top variant. The interiors would be very dull when compared to what you can get at that price (if going for top model). The Ertiga would be a good choice as you are also looking for monthly and annual trips. The extra seats would provide flexibility, but space would be limited by MPV or 7 seater standards. I am in a new-car dilemma with a budget of 8 Lacs and have finalised the Polo and Amaze.

Did you check out the Amaze? Also, please elaborate about your needs and priorities for a new car so that we can suggest better.

Regards,
Nikunj

Ertiga would be the better bet if you want additional flexibility of 7 seats or cargo space. It is a fantastic highway cruiser as well. Better wait for the face-lifted version, which I hope would be launched in a few weeks.
If a compact sedan is enough, providing most value and comfort, the Zest is the best.

The Ford Aspire is yet to be experienced many people and given Ford's inconsistent service and quality issues I have come across in the internet, it is safer to wait to experience it in the flesh.

Thread Starter #4

Thanks a bunch guys, ford aspire yes i'm worried about the service costs. Only competition seems to be from Honda Jazz but if i wait till then i would lose out the 333 offer from Tata. Coming to Ertiga yes i liked it but VDI doesn't have airbags and it is the one that comes in my budget. I'm surprised at the lack of options no wonder people blindly buy the swifts and dzires (No offense to current owners, i only mean they seem the obvious choices).

After experiencing ruggedness of Indica for such a long time it is difficult to digest built quality of Maruti.

AFA ford is concerned, if they use same engine as that of Ecosport, the production is localised and ASS cost is par with others.

Anyways, you have not mentioned seating capacity, condition of the roads on which car would run frequently.

Thanks a bunch guys, ford aspire yes i'm worried about the service costs. Only competition seems to be from Honda Jazz but if i wait till then i would lose out the 333 offer from Tata. Coming to Ertiga yes i liked it but VDI doesn't have airbags and it is the one that comes in my budget. I'm surprised at the lack of options no wonder people blindly buy the swifts and dzires (No offense to current owners, i only mean they seem the obvious choices).
We also actually owned a 2002 LSi IndicaV2. Apart from the engine, exhaust problems and rat menace the car was really comfortable enough. We chose to upgrade to a bigger, more flexible as well as "all-rounder" car as we would own it for at-least 8 years and so that it should fit for all the needs of my family.
I was eager to have a look at the Ertiga when it was launched in 2012. It seemed to suit our needs perfectly and till now there has been no two sides of it. It is car-like to drive and ride, has withstood rough roads very well, no rattles on interiors/body panels, has enough amount of equipment for VDi variant, has much needed ABS, Flexibility and comfortable seats to seat 7 people of 5.9 height, quite comfortably and the most ergonomic and comfy 3rd row I've ever been in. Sure MS should have provided at-least driver air-bag as standard, but I feel a safe driver is the best safety feature for a car and a family. However I hope the upcoming facelift version will have at-least a driver airbag as standard on lower variants.

You can read my Tata Zest' deatiled review in some other thread in this forum.http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-sector/16192-tata-zest-vs-honda-amaze-vs-maruti-dzire-vs-hyundai-xcent-vs-ford-figo-sedan-16.html
Post #230
Its the best choice in it's segment with loads of equipment and comfort along with the Tata trademark spacious cabin. The quality is right up there with the rivals and the ride/handling is one among the best in it's segment. The looks are quite freshly appealing and it also is the most affordable value package in it's segment. There is also an XMS safety concentrated variant with dual airbags and ABS, while losing out the touch-screen and ACC unit. The sound quality is terrific from the Harmann audio system. There are quite many satisfied owners and you wouldn't regret choosing this car either.

Ford cars although being great to drive and good value, there have been quite some horror stories. So I would suggest you to tread carefully.

Etios/Liva better be out of the list if you are looking for Value for money and image. They are popularly being used as cabs. They are spacious and ride well, but the design and quality of interiors and exteriors are far behind when compared to rivals.
Hope this helps. [cheers]

Last edited:
Re: Indica Petrol Sold; New Car Wanted

Hi,
Since you already had a Tata Car, and probably have been used to the space it offers, I think its time you take the most refined car from tata stable. The Zest.

Yes figo Aspire may be an options but then like ecosport where there was no competition, and Ecosport was the only option then, I think the CS segment is pretty loaded and that Zest is probably the best product in the market. So I don't that Zest would be a decision which you may repent post the launch of Aspire. I am not sure when Aspire would be launched but then there would be waiting period for the same and might have teething trouble.
Zest is not pretty stable product and no issues reported so far. Almost 30K zest on indian roads there is a decent acceptance for a new car. Almost zero negative reviews on the car it is definitely a Moneys worth buy.
With regards to Etios and Liva, I would say are a generation old car with space and engine working in thier favour rest the price, the interiors, and comfort offered is way below par. I would not suggest you these cars. They are now more of taxi segment.

I will suggest you to wait for Figo aspire, ford display aspire in Gurgaon near to my office & i check it. it have everything that one can expect from a sedan, good space, long list of features, boot space looks more then 400L, styling is best in class. Ford now also reducing cost of servicing & spare parts to gain more market share.

2nd option is Ertiga (As you say Vdi doesn't have airbags else for me Ertiga is 1st in list), i am using Ertiga Vdi from last one year, its a very good car with lot of space if used as 5 seater. ownership cost is equal to a hatchback or sedan. i have a Dzire too & both returns almost same fuel efficiency.

Thread Starter #9
Hi,
Since you already had a Tata Car, and probably have been used to the space it offers, I think its time you take the most refined car from tata stable. The Zest.

Yes figo Aspire may be an options but then like ecosport where there was no competition, and Ecosport was the only option then, I think the CS segment is pretty loaded and that Zest is probably the best product in the market. So I don't that Zest would be a decision which you may repent post the launch of Aspire. I am not sure when Aspire would be launched but then there would be waiting period for the same and might have teething trouble.
Zest is not pretty stable product and no issues reported so far. Almost 30K zest on indian roads there is a decent acceptance for a new car. Almost zero negative reviews on the car it is definitely a Moneys worth buy.
With regards to Etios and Liva, I would say are a generation old car with space and engine working in thier favour rest the price, the interiors, and comfort offered is way below par. I would not suggest you these cars. They are now more of taxi segment.
I'm thinking you added 'not' in the wrong places, Zest is VFM car for sure now i understand why despite having a great car tata aren't able to sell it. Its Brand Value that it lacks, imagine having zest sold under Hyundai and Xcent being sold under Tata.
My heart says no TATA again mind says this car VFM. Not yet decided but i'm slowing moving towards JAZZ

I will suggest you to wait for Figo aspire, ford display aspire in Gurgaon near to my office & i check it. it have everything that one can expect from a sedan, good space, long list of features, boot space looks more then 400L, styling is best in class. Ford now also reducing cost of servicing & spare parts to gain more market share.

2nd option is Ertiga (As you say Vdi doesn't have airbags else for me Ertiga is 1st in list), i am using Ertiga Vdi from last one year, its a very good car with lot of space if used as 5 seater. ownership cost is equal to a hatchback or sedan. i have a Dzire too & both returns almost same fuel efficiency.
Figo Aspire yes i like the look of the Car and what it offers but i'm worried about the back room space as ford generally doesn't have car that offer space for 3 full size adults. Ertiga VDI didnt have an Airbags which is why i ruled it out, ZDI is a little over my budget.

Figo Aspire yes i like the look of the Car and what it offers but i'm worried about the back room space as ford generally doesn't have car that offer space for 3 full size adults. Ertiga VDI didnt have an Airbags which is why i ruled it out, ZDI is a little over my budget.
Figo aspire have more space as compare to Dzire, little less then amaze & seat is comfy. i suggest you to wait for 1-2 month as Figo aspire & new facelift Ertiga is coming in next few month.

New Ertiga is also going to have a VDi+ variant with driver side airbag & rear wiper, defogger. you can also consider New facelift Ertiga.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your inputs, I'm thinking to go ahead with Zest XT, driven all cars all the way from Ertiga, Avventura, Ecosport, Ciaz to Etios.

Etios though a good vehicle ruled out as it had very unappealing interiors but the boot OMG that was something, Ertiga it was nice but the extra money i was going to pay for the 5 percent time when it will 7 occupants didnt make sense. Avventura and Ecosport pricey for what they offer more than Zest.

Jazz was the other vehicle but i don't think the ride quality of Jazz would be match that of Zest. Now the only question left is for the Zest owners in the Forum can i expect 17kmpl in city driving conditions if driven with light foot. Need your opinion people.

That is a good choice. People have reported that Zest delivering around 17-18 kmpl. there was one post on Zest in some thread on this or the other forum, where the owner was getting 12 kmpl but after cleaning of the air filter he started to get mileage of around 18 in city. It was a fairly new zest with 1K km done.

So I feel you will get that sort of a mileage but its better to get the details from the horses' mouths.

Thread Starter #13
Hi Friends,

I have heard from existing owners that mileage stays around 15 for Zest Diesel, is that the maximum we can expect from this car. Existing Zest Owners please correct me if i'm wrong.

Hi Friends,

I have heard from existing owners that mileage stays around 15 for Zest Diesel, is that the maximum we can expect from this car. Existing Zest Owners please correct me if i'm wrong.
Do check out this thread. The owner is getting an MID indicated ~25 kmpl (Average FE). FE basically depends on the driving style, I get 15 kmpl (or below [lol]) from my Diesel Liva. You can easily expect ~18/20 kmpl on the highway, provided that you drive sedately.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ast-born-sky-grey-my-tata-zest-xt-diesel.html

Regards,
Nikunj

Top Bottom