Help Me Buy a Used Car For Rs.1.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this forum, have just joined though have been reading and following reviews since a long time. This is a great forum, and all you automobiles enthusiasts are just rocking. [clap]

Now coming back to the topic, I am looking to buy a used car. Please find the details below :

> Your Budget: 1.5 lacs max, the idea is to get decent/ good condition car in least possible price and spend the rest of money on mechanical changes and if anything left then aesthetics.

> New or Used: Used

> Your Location: Pune

> Top Five Priorities: Reliable, Space, Fuel Efficient, Driver oriented, Good looks

> Monthly Running: 500-1000

> Type of Fuel: Petrol / CNG

> For What Purpose: Weekend + Occasional touring

> Seating Capacity: 4-5

> Type of Segment: Sedan preferably , hatchback will also do ( I have had a hatchback , Honda Brio , hence preferably looking for a sedan

I have been looking around since last month or so. And have come across these options:

1. Chevrolet Optra : 2007, 1.6 Elite LSm 50k kms run, petrol + CNG, asking price 1.5 lacs , good to excellent condition , black color, slight nego possible

2. Mitsubishi Lancer : 2001 , GLX, petrol, 82k kms run, asking price 90 k , decent condition , red color , can negotiate further

3. Mitsubishi Lancer : 2003, GLX, petrol, 82k kms run, asking price 95k, good condition , light blue color, no nego

4. MS Baleno : 2004 dec, VXI, 70k kms run, asking price 99k , decent condition, black color , slight nego possible

I do not mind cars having above mentioned running, if they are maintained well, as I believe Japanese engines can last easily up to 1.5 lacs kms . And i know above mentioned cars will have spare parts issue, but i believe here in Pune it can be managed. Also i do not want altos, zens, wagon-r's etc ( no offences to anybody).

Please share your valuable suggestions.
Thanks in advance guys. [:D]

Re: Help me buying a used car

Hello faffy, welcome to the forum. [:)]

Based on your requirements, I would suggest you the Aveo, Optra, Baleno and Corolla. All are very capable cars and have the ability to munch kms. In case you are considering hatchbacks also, then I would suggest the Aveo UVA, Swift (but it will have high kms on the odo) and maybe the Palio. If you can extend your budget, go for a Jazz. It will fulfill all your sedan needs, despite being a hatchback.

Out of the alternatives you have provided, the Optra seems to be the best choice. Do not mind paying a bit extra than your budget if you are getting a CNG car as your future fuel costs would come down considerably. Do remember to take an experience person, or your FNG's mechanic, to inspect the car properly. Also, you can call up the service centers for details of the vehicle to trace the genuine kms covered. Don't go for a Lancer, that has run over 80k kms, as you will spend most of the time getting it repaired incase you can't find the defects before purchasing and the problems occur after some time.

In fact, I would advice you to NOT go for cars with anything more than 60k kms. Why? I know the cars can last a good 1.5 lac kms, but most of the components, general as well as rare (tyres, brakes, suspension, engine parts), would need replacement or hauling up. You will have to spend on these if you go for a car that is nearing 1 lac km mark as the wear & tear parts generally demand a replacement at 1 lac kms.

Regards,
Nikunj

Stay miles away from optra. It's spare parts will be hard to find and it will be hard to maintain it.
Lancers were sold in great numbers and they are still running around . lancers are easy to work on and parts won't be a problem but these are very old models try to find a newer lancer. To be honest for 1.5 lakhs you can find only badly abused cars in this segment. cars in these segments are not cheap to maintain you will be better off buying a well maintained car for a higher price.

Thread Starter #4

Out of the alternatives you have provided, the Optra seems to be the best choice.

Stay miles away from optra. It's spare parts will be hard to find and it will be hard to maintain it.
Lancers were sold in great numbers and they are still running around . lancers are easy to work on and parts won't be a problem but these are very old models try to find a newer lancer.
Thank you guys for so prompt suggestions. [clap]
Now i am actually inclined towards Optra, as its the newest , least run, most well maintained among the other options, also having CNG. But Is the spare part issue such a big problem for Optra?

Also my second preference is 2003 Lancer. Unfortuantely in my budget i am getting only cars which has run around 70-80k kms. But on a positive side i have heard that Lancers ages nicely if well maintained and its engine runs good till 1.5 lacs kms atleast. Also in case if i want to get all major parts replaced, like suspensions, timing belt, all other belts( dont know much about them) how much would be the approx cost so that the car runs easily for another 40k without any problems and with regular servicing. Also what would be spare parts avaliablity in case of Lancers?

Spares for the optra will be available at a premium. GM is known for abandoning buyers remember how the they ended their opel brand. This optra may work for you but try to find a better maintained lancer they are easier to work on and spares are cheaper. If you are buying cars this old at such a cheap rate be prepared to shell out at least 20-50 k in the very near future.

Thread Starter #6
Spares for the optra will be available at a premium. GM is known for abandoning buyers remember how the they ended their opel brand. This optra may work for you but try to find a better maintained lancer they are easier to work on and spares are cheaper. If you are buying cars this old at such a cheap rate be prepared to shell out at least 20-50 k in the very near future.
Thanks Roman. Just for approx comaprision, so that i get some idea, could you help me what would be the cost difference between Lancer and Optra for a particular spare?
And I have already mentioned, I am looking to buy a decent or good condition car in least possible amount and then spend the rest of the amount to bring it to mehcanically fit state.
I think 2003 lancer fits into this category. I can get it for 90-95k and would be left with around 50k for mechanical changes. Would 50k be enough jut to bring it to a state of running without major breakdown?

One more thing i would like to mention is that i am not looking for altos, Zens , Santros, Wagon Rs, Esteems, as mentioned earlier ,is because for almost same age and running of the above mentioned cars people ask for almost double the amount / exorbitant prices [frustration] just because its a Maruti Suzuki or hyundai [roll]. And i really dont buy this idea. Why not get a better, though low resale value car at half the price, and then spend rest of the amount on mechanical changes. I know maintenance would be more in big cars but i beleive i can manage that for having a better, and comfortable car, but yeah it should not be excessiviley costly. What you guys say?

@faffy:
I bet to differ with your logic. [:)]
You want to buy a high-segment car which would be in average condition (given your price constraint and requirements) and would like to spend half of the buying amount to restore it/repair it and sell it for literally 1/4th price!
You are thinking to buy a Lancer for 90k, spend 45k on its repairs and maintenance and what would be the value left of it after another 45k kms on the odometer? You will end up literally spending/wasting your money on a not-so-reliable car and then sell it at a loss (even after the condition is good for the next buyer as all parts would be replaced) and incur the loss of repair charges and buying cost.

Instead, if you try some decent condition Zens, WagonRs, Santros, you will get a car for 1.3 Lac and spend 20k on regular maintenance and the value doesn't drop below 1 Lac even after 40k kms on the odometer.

I hope you understood my logic.

As you asked, be prepared to shell out in the likes of 40/50k to bring it back to shape as you can't expect much from a 12/13 year old car, even though how reliable and sturdy it used to be. You can check out motrpart.in website for spare part prices of both the cars.

You can PM forum member Saroya for more details. He has bought an Optra recently. If you prefer slightly better cars than the Altos, WagonRs, etc., you can try finding Accents, Aveos and similar cars.

Regards,
Nikunj

Thread Starter #8
@ Niku: Agree with your logic , but i am not thinking from re selling point of view. I was thinking to keep the car for long time if i get a good one. Yes I am thnking from my heart here , may be i am wrong . But lets see.

Also dont you think the same case would be for Accent and Aveo as it is for Lancer and Optra?

Also i can't see any option to send PM, may be because i am new to the forum?

I would suggest Suzuki Baleno and Esteem, both are reliable, fast, fuel efficient, more or less fun to drive and parts will not be a problem for the Esteem.

I agree with what Nikku has said. These cars will drain your wealth. optra and lancer are discontinued models and resale value will be very bad after a couple of years. try to take the optra to ASC and conduct a full check and request price list and availability of spare parts. If you buy very old cars and want to keep it for a long time you will be obtaining fitness from the rto which means everything on the car should be as good as new. Better extend your purchasing price to something like 2.25 lakhs then you may get a well maintained lancer which is around 6-7 years old

Also dont you think the same case would be for Accent and Aveo as it is for Lancer and Optra?
Yes, spare part availability scene would be the same for the Aveo, although better for the Accent. But, since these cars are from a lower segment, you can get a good condition car than a Lancer or Optra in the same price range.

I was hinting at lower segment cars basically, lower than the Optra, Corolla and Lancer. So, the Accent and Aveo came to my mind.

Also i can't see any option to send PM, may be because i am new to the forum?
Yes, I forgot. You are a new member and you can't send PM now. I have sent a PM to Saroya with a link to this thread. He will be here soon! [lol]

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
hi faffy welcome to TAI, fisrt few questions

1) Are you working some where or a college student ? The reason I asked you is all the preferences you have may result to continuous trips to mechanic on the car maintenance part as well as the CNG part. If you think of getting a Lancer and servicing it a J Williams M . G Road please see there servicing charges and labor costs, so in your case you may need to catch a trusty mechanic along with his and your availability periodically.

2) If you are working are you willing to devote time on Saturdays as on Sundays most of the Mechanics are closed

3) Have you spoken to any owners of the above cars especially with CNG fittings to know about there maintenance and other costs? If possible please visit any CNG station and try to speak to owners before buying one

I really dont know why you hate Altos and Santros but belive me I have a Zen 2005 CNG fitted which has clocked 90000 ( I am the first owner ) out of which 60000 have be done after CNG fitting and till now I had almost nill maintaince and only Rs 750 on CNG kit after the installation.

I would also suggest you to visit Akash Sales, Oppositie to City Pride multiplex bibvewadi and meet Mr Yogesh Shah the owner. They are into CNG fittings and can provide you on how each car perform on the CNG the reason for this visit is I have seen vehicles like civic and corrolla performing badly after CNG fittings so confirm everything before putting your hard earned money

Thread Starter #13
Yes, I forgot. You are a new member and you can't send PM now. I have sent a PM to Saroya with a link to this thread. He will be here soon! [lol]
Regards,
Nikunj
Thanks a lot Niku [:)]

hi faffy welcome to TAI, fisrt few questions

1) Are you working some where or a college student ?
2) If you are working are you willing to devote time on Saturdays as on Sundays most of the Mechanics are closed

3) Have you spoken to any owners of the above cars especially with

I really dont know why you hate Altos and Santros

I would also suggest you to visit Akash Sales, Oppositie to City Pride multiplex bibvewadi and meet Mr Yogesh Shah the owner.
Thanks konkantrip for the valuable inputs.
1. I am working , service Industry , middle class boy
2. I would not like to visit service centers every now and then. Are J william charges high?
3. Havent got a chance though, also friend circle doesnt have anybody with CNG kit
4. I never said i hate, i said i may not prefer them, and really NOM to any owners. I am sorry if i have hurt anybody's sentiments unknowingly.

and thanks for the pointer.much appreciated.

hello faffy ! welcome to TAI[:)]
i have experience with my own two cars Maruti Alto and Chevy Optra 1.6 petrol. if you are interested in Optra then here are my suggestions:=

Optra has bad resale value but it is good for you because you can get a 7-8 lac car for dirt cheap price. you will pay the price of a used hatch and can get a much bigger and comfortable sedan. optra has wider and longer body and looks very good.little bit difficult to maneuver in crowded places. interior is good with lots of legroom, headroom and boot space is very good too. seats are very much comfortable.

you know driving a petrol 1.6 (104 horses[evil]) is real fun. optra has good suspension and handle very well on 100+ speeds.

big cars always demand more maintenance. but it is a petrol car so it will not be too much expensive to maintain. Parts are costly but remember you are talking about big sedan. every car in this segment has costly parts. Quality of GM parts is good so don't worry about that. parts are available both used and new too. you can go for this car if you like to own a beast(bigger and better).

Get the car checked properly before you purchase. do not go for a car with having Engine related problems, it will be good if it is less driven <60k on ODO. You can get a well maintained trouble free Optra around rs. 150k. i am getting 14-15kmpl with 100% AC on highways and 12-13kmpl in city. full service cost was rs. 3500 for me (engine oil Mobil delvac super 1300+ 4 spark plugs+ oil filter+ air filter+ gear oil+ PS oil topup+ coolant+ labour)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #15
Thanks alot for your suggestions Saroya [:D] You have exactly put my thoughts why actually i am inclined towards Optra. Its like you have read my mind. All i want is it should be reliable enough so that i dont worry about going for outstation trips. How is reliablity of Optra? I am not much worried about little more costly maintainance costs and resale value here. Anyday I would prefer to have a good, comfortable , reliable car with good looks for the period of ownership though less resale value ,rather than having a small, cramp, uncomfortable and bad looking cars with better resale value. (again no offences meant to anyone)

What do you say about this deal : Chevrolet Optra : 2007, 1.6 Elite LS, 50k kms run, petrol + CNG, asking price 1.5 lacs , good to excellent condition , black color, slight nego possible

Since you own one, i would like to know what all particular things i should check in Optra? I have heard problems related to O2 sensor etc very particular in Optra. Generally what parts fail in Optra more? Also i am based in Pune, so how would be the parts availability here?
Also how does Optra behave on CNG if you have any idea since i have heard fro few people that american engines does not gell well with CNG.

Also your full servicing cost is pretty much similar to a hatchback. [clap] Was this done at authorised service center or FNG?

Top Bottom