Mahindra Thar - Is it Worth the Money?

Thread Starter #1
Have always wanted to buy a jeep, right from the time I was a young boy. It was Gypsy craze earlier which has transformed to Mahindra Thar recently.

My santro is getting old, and with my travelling of 15000-20000 kms yearly, I definitely need a diesel. I know many of you will suggest to buy the new baby - celerio Diesel or proven workhorses of FIAT engine (marutis, tatas, fiat) sedans, hatches or crossovers. But I want to stick to an SUV. And I am drooling for THAR.

But the question is, Mahindra Thar Di is ruled out because of lack of AC and colors, along with a sluggish engine. Thar CRDE makes sense, but it comes only in 4x4 and soft top. I may hardly be doing a 4x4 activity (I am assuming our potholed roads are still a non 4x4 terrain [frustration]), and soft top is not secure and privacy is at stake. So in short it needs lot of cutomization.

So the question boils down to how much does it pinch my pocket? What is the cost of Mahindra Thar CRDE + hard top + bull bars + side footstep + seat reorganization (facing front rather than sideways) cost in Bangalore? Also getting a Hard Top done through Mahindra Customization is better or through a Mechanic / car center otherwise?

and as a parting question like all Indians, "kitna deti hai? [:D] ".. Means Whats the mileage can i expect?

Mahindra thar is a pure off roader. It's not for the urban jungle but the real jungle. Thar has a heavy clutch much harder than the safaris or scorpios. It is not highway safe because of it's short track and low length it is a candidate for rolling over. It will be difficult to drive the jeep in bumper to bumper traffic thanks to the clutch.
unless you are off roading thar will be a white elephant.

If the budget in your pocket and space in car porch allows,please don't sell the Santro.Use it along with Thar.The desire for a hard top origins from the thought that you are going to use only the Thar in future.

The km/l for these 2.5L powertrains are in the region of 10-12.

Thread Starter #4
My breakup of journey is 25% city traffic and 75% on highways. So I am ok with the clutch issue. Roll over I am not sure, as the wheelbase of hatches are much lesser and for cars like wagon r / santro which have proven over a lot years, I am ok with THAR.

I already have a i20 along with santro, which is used by wife. No place to keep 3 cars, so it has to be replacement of santro.

The only thing is the cost factor. If thar with modifications are crossing 10 lakhs, I may even consider ecosport or stretch a bit for XUV w2/w4. But will still prefer THAR.

Hello Icecool,
Thar, like we all know, is best as an off-roader. I would prefer one as another car, not for daily usage really, but for the fun of having one. Doesn't mean that you HAVE to go serious off-roading.

Depends on what you are looking for here. Since you have a hatchback, going for a bigger vehicle is a good idea. Thar doesn't come with comforts that you'd want in the city. The new ones are getting a better dashboard layout and all that but still, you may have to customize it to suit your needs.
If I am buying a Thar, it doesn't end in the showroom. The hardtop for instance, I will have to customize it as per my need.
Is it worth the money? Like I said, depends on your needs. Some cars we buy because we WANT it, not NEED it.

I wouldn't recommend an XUV to anybody. Why not look at Bolero? If you do not want to spend much and want an SUV type body which isn't too big and is easy to drive and park, I think Bolero fits in perfectly. The sheet metal is not too good as before. You may have a little patchworks here and there. I think it will be comfortable for you and your family. Good for weekend getaways as well.
You can customize it later on as you wish. Get a style statement like the Thar yeah?!

All the best in deciding. :)

peace

Last edited:
Why not look at Bolero? If you do not want to spend much and want an SUV type body which isn't too big and is easy to drive and park, I think Bolero fits in perfectly. The sheet metal is not too good as before. You may have a little patchworks here and there. I think it will be comfortable for you and your family. Good for weekend getaways as well.
You can customize it later on as you wish. Get a style statement like the Thar yeah?!

All the best in deciding. :)

peace
I second Astras point even a bolero has a good road presence and really fits all the requirements

1) Hard top
2) AC
3) CRDE
4) 2X2
5) Good Mileage (15+)
6) Better Resale

a good point to think on

For highways the thar will be inappropriate. Unlike tall boy hatches thar has a higher center of gravity thanks to the suspension and higher positioning of engine. It will roll over if driven around tight bends at highway speeds. jeeps are meant for sand pits and swamps not interstate highway trips.

Thread Starter #8
[cry] based on everyones comment here.. my THAR dream remains a dream... I need to hide this thread from my wife, otherwise she will make sure my dream is never fulfilled [lol]

SO, how is Bolero diffrent from Thar is handling and engine?

Icecool, Thar and Bolero, are as different (in every day use) as chalk and cheese, Thar is a boy thing, and an update on the same is due anytime, which has better interiors etc., why i said a boy thing, as getting in and out of a Thar with family is pretty cumbersome.
Bolero on the other hand is huge if you have a big family, and has a Taxi image, moreover the Bolero is also due for replacement/and or addition by U301 which is under 4mtr, with the Quanto engine AMT etc., so if you can delay your buy till the festive season, you could add these to your shopping list.
regards
vinod

It is better that some dreams remain as dreams.

Thar is a very basic vehicle and is a primary choice in case you are looking for regular off roading. You cannot use it as a regular highway vehicle for daily needs as interiors will disappoint. Thar has a killer looks but you will regret later on daily use, it's best maintained as an alternate vehicle.

For regular highway use you can consider the Ford Ecosport as its a compact SUV with the best fuel efficiency, and in case you are looking for a rugged vehicle with a seating capacity of 5+ then it's the Mahindra Bolero that you have to consider. A black bolero looks enticing from outside though interiors are out dated, but suitable for carrying 5+. So better check out all 3 vehicles and decide as per your exact needs rather than looks.

Ride and handling can be sorted to some extent on Thar. Even the Bolero, the ride will be more comfortable if you get the after market ARC leaf springs. These are made of composite materials, very durable and lasts much longer as well. Unlike metal plates, these take twisting forces very well. You can get these for almost any car available in India that use leaf spring suspension.
Last time we had inquired about one for Thar, it was about 25-30k. Worth the money even though you may feel it is pricey.

I'm sure we do have members in the forum who may be using ARC leaf springs.

I have a Thar as my second vehicle after the Bolero LX 4WD and and am very happy with the vehicle. The vehicle is fast, reliable, nimble and looks good. Apart from the soft top, I don't think any of the points mentioned above are of concern regarding the Thar. Yes, one more point is lack of active and passive safety equipment, e.g. ABS, airbags, Traction Control etc. I have been to many places in the Thar like Sikkim, Darjeeling, Arunachal etc driving down from Kolkata. I got my vehicle last year in November and changed the bumpers and side steps and installed insect mesh, headlight grills, alloys etc. The total cost came to around 9.5 lacs. Here is a pic of my Thar -

DSC_2470.JPG

It is a wonderful vehicle and if you dream about it please get it.

Tastefully done up Thar. Looks really good.

Even if you are going for a Hardtop/mods, do not lose that canvas. It is actually a good canvas. Durable and water resistant.

I have a Thar as my second vehicle after the Bolero LX 4WD and and am very happy with the vehicle. The vehicle is fast, reliable, nimble and looks good. Apart from the soft top, I don't think any of the points mentioned above are of concern regarding the Thar. Yes, one more point is lack of active and passive safety equipment, e.g. ABS, airbags, Traction Control etc. I have been to many places in the Thar like Sikkim, Darjeeling, Arunachal etc driving down from Kolkata. I got my vehicle last year in November and changed the bumpers and side steps and installed insect mesh, headlight grills, alloys etc. The total cost came to around 9.5 lacs. Here is a pic of my Thar -

View attachment 171797

Dada, your Thar is drool factor personified, especially now with the alloys.
Welcome to TAI.
regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #15

View attachment 171797

@Blackpearl.. I have read about your SHERPA ... have been following THAR avidly

Your new set of HRS alloys with steel also look great :). But I still see you having a soft top? Isnt it a bit of concern while parking in public places?

Top Bottom