Starting Taxi Business : Deciding on 3 New Cars!

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am back with another thread. And a unique one at that! We are, finally after a lot of haggling with Dad last year (and the decision was made yesterday), starting a Taxi service/business, with a fleet of privately owned cars (in our name) and drivers. My uncle (Dad's brother) is also in this business for 4 years and now, and with his support and motivation, my Dad has also decided to start one. My uncle has not supported us financially, rather he has promised to buy the taxi cars if the business doesn't start well (which was my Dad's largest worry). My uncle currently own 9 cars for his taxi service and is making good money! (Hope he isn't reading this! [lol])

Now, coming to the topic, we need some cars to start the Taxi service, which would be majorly managed by me. We need a total of 3 more cars, in addition to the Liva I am using. My Liva would be used in the Taxi service and I am also looking for a new car for me (Link - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/22028-new-diesel-car-need-help.html#post447494).

Your Budget: A total of 10 lakhs for downpayment and Rs. ~10k EMI per car. Would be better if I can get capable cars at lesser price. The on-road price should not exceed Rs. ~25 lakhs. This is the limit though.

New or Used: New. I would have looked for used if my uncle would have not supported. But, as he is ready to buy the cars from us if this plan doesn't go well, we are looking for new ones only.

Your Location: Faridabad, Haryana. We can do a deal in Gurgaon, Noida, Delhi and nearby dealers also.

Top Priorities: Reliability (as the running would be extreme), Torquey engine is preferred over powerful (as there may be full load conditions in any part of India), Good A.S.S. (should have reputed dealers spread over India, with good reputation), Spacious (because it will be used as a taxi. Rear seat comfort is important, as is the boot space), Firm ride quality (as it would be used on the highways mainly). We are expecting these qualities from all the 3 cars. Features would be appreciated but not going for the top-end versions, for sure.

Monthly Running: Initially it would be less. In some time, if the business picks up, then I expect ~4k+ kms per month running per car.

Type of Fuel: Diesel preferred. Not going for CNG/LPG versions.

For What Purpose: Taxi usage. Creature comforts not necesarry.

Seating Capacity: 5 healthy adults for sedans, 7+ adults for MPV

Type of Segment: 2 cars from the Compact Sedan/Mid-size sedan segment, one from Premium MPV segment

Now some questions:

1. Would a petrol be as frugal as a diesel? My experience says that both type of engines can cover long distance but a diesel is better suited to "long-distance-at-short-interval" type of travel. Plus, diesel is the cheaper fuel.

2. Would I get additional discount on buying 3 cars at the same time? If so, then how much approx.?

3. Is it better to go for mid/top variants? I think lower variants would be better if they come with ABS at least, if not airbags.

Currently, we have decided on one 7+ seater MPV and two 5 seater mid-size/compact sedans. Which cars fit my budget and Also, waiting for your comments whether the decisions I am taking are correct. If you guys have any better suggestions, then please feel free to pour them in. [:)]

PS. My 100th post.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
Taxi on highways? I would suggest Diesel. You can surely expect a discount but I'm not sure how much. Negotiate hard. I think mid variant for taxi is fine. For the 7+ seater, you can go for the proven Innova. And for the sedans, you can select Etios as it is spacious and economical.

Approach the dealer as if you are planning to buy one car. Negotiate negotiate and negotiate. [gun] :please:

When you feel you got the best deal, tell your SE that there is a change in plan and would like to buy one or two more of the same car. Repeat Step 1 (negotiation), they have to provide you more discounts as you are buying more than the initial plan.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Taxi on highways? I would suggest Diesel. You can surely expect a discount but I'm not sure how much. Negotiate hard. I think mid variant for taxi is fine. For the 7+ seater, you can go for the proven Innova. And for the sedans, you can select Etios as it is spacious and economical.
Yes, I am also trying to push Dad for a diesel as the reliability of those engines has been tested over the years. Regarding discount, Dad will have to visit the showrooms for a quote. He has given the selection and shortlisting task to me and I will do all the homework before Dad goes to the showroom for the negotiations. Toyota and Maruti (Ertiga) are in the spotlight because of Airbag+ABS and ABS even on the base variant. I think Innova would be out of the budget. If we do purchase the Innova, then there would be little money left for the other 2 cars. Dad is keen to get different cars for the Taxi usage as different customers prefer different type of vehicles. As the Liva is already there, Etios would not be considered as it is the same from inside. Though a very capable 1.4 D it has got. What do you think about the Amaze D, Datsun Go+ (the seven seater one), Lodgy and Scorpio, Storme, etc.? Even SUVs will do in place of MPVs I think. [lol]

ERTIGA,DZIRE and LIVA tried tested and economical
No Dzire due to lack of space. No Ertiga due to lack of space with all seats up. No Liva as one is already there! [lol] Anyway, brother, thanks for your reply. Can you tell some other combinations that I can try? Innova + Go 7 Seater + Amaze D or something similar?

Some interesting combinations that are coming to my mind:

1. Toyota Innova + Datsun Go 7 Seater + Honda Amaze D
2. Maruti Ertiga + Hyundai Verna + Maruti WagonR
3. Tata Storme + Maruti Ertiga + Maruti Ritz

Which one looks best? I will talk to Dad tommorow to know about his preferences in brands, i.e. whether to go for Tata/Skoda/VW?

EDIT :
@CARleone: Bingo! I had totally skipped Dzire Tour. A very big thanks to you buddy. Any idea about its pricing? And is it only available as an Ldi?

@balarshnan: I like your plan. But, the problem is that no single manufacturer seems to have the varied cars that I would like to have. Maximum 2 cars from the same dealer is possible and convenient for my decision making.

Need some info about the Dzire Tour and link to its reviews, if any. This might be the car, I have the feeling. :)

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
@Niku:
Even we are also sailing in same boat regarding the purchase of some vehicles for getting them into contract with a leading hotel chain and have nearly finalized the deal too. Looks and sounds a good business this (people ferrying) one, only if you can manage the people who don't believe in boundations.
I have a bit of previous experience of this taxi business too(A friend has contracts in some BPOs in Noida) and going by what I have seen till date, the vehicles should be:
1) Toyota Etios/Liva
2) Mahindra Xylo MDi CRDe ( sasta, tikaau and very durable and reliable)
3) Maruti Suzuki DZire Tour

I have seen a general perception that people actually love the cars with the magical 'T' (the one of on Japan, not from Jamshedpur) on their nose and hence that makes it a good case for Toyota cars.

Cab means better and spacious rear seat and that's where the Etios makes the kill.

Last edited:
why dont you try renault logdy, good reliable vehicle, good FE and better space than ertiga
Xylo is also an alternative you may get it at cheaper price point and looks similar to innova

Try to keep similar vehicles like 2 marutis or 2 toyotas so that service becomes easier

For the 7 seater, go for the Xylo. It is cheap and reliable. Plus it is a proper and spacious 7 seater unlike the Lodgy and Ertiga. You can even get the MDi version which is even more fuel efficient but has very basic interiors.

For the two cars, since you do not want the Etios, you can buy the Amaze diesel and the Swift Dzire Tour. The Dzire tour is quiet outdated now, so you can even check out the Tata Zest as a good alternative. But the Zest lacks boot space.

Another outdated but very capable car is the Verito. Extremely fuel efficient and perfect for the taxi business. You may ask for a discount if you buy the Xylo and Verito together. Both are not very high selling models.

Thread Starter #10
@Niku:
Even we are also sailing in same boat regarding the purchase of some vehicles for getting them into contract with a leading hotel chain and have nearly finalized the deal too. Looks and sounds a good business this (people ferrying) one, only if you can manage the people who don't believe in boundations.
I have a bit of previous experience of this taxi business too(A friend has contracts in some BPOs in Noida) and going by what I have seen till date, the vehicles should be:
1) Toyota Etios/Liva
2) Mahindra Xylo MDi CRDe ( sasta, tikaau and very durable and reliable)
3) Maruti Suzuki DZire Tour

I have seen a general perception that people actually love the cars with the magical 'T' (the one of on Japan, not from Jamshedpur) on their nose and hence that makes it a good case for Toyota cars.

Cab means better and spacious rear seat and that's where the Etios makes the kill.
For a hotel chain, I think you would need sedans and NOT MUVs. Right?
Any way, one Liva is final. We are looking for 2 cars from the same brand and 1 car from some other brand. The Xylo is a good car but what about the niggles and problems? Will it be as reliable as, say a Toyota/Maruti? Would surely consider it when I go to the M&M showroom for Scorpio pricing.

why dont you try renault logdy, good reliable vehicle, good FE and better space than ertiga
Xylo is also an alternative you may get it at cheaper price point and looks similar to innova

Try to keep similar vehicles like 2 marutis or 2 toyotas so that service becomes easier
The review of the Lodgy was good. But, Renault as a brand, has limited dealerships across the country. And yes, I am following the 2 vehicles of same brand idea. Easier service and good discount on the total purchase.

For the 7 seater, go for the Xylo. It is cheap and reliable. Plus it is a proper and spacious 7 seater unlike the Lodgy and Ertiga. You can even get the MDi version which is even more fuel efficient but has very basic interiors.

For the two cars, since you do not want the Etios, you can buy the Amaze diesel and the Swift Dzire Tour. The Dzire tour is quiet outdated now, so you can even check out the Tata Zest as a good alternative. But the Zest lacks boot space.

Another outdated but very capable car is the Verito. Extremely fuel efficient and perfect for the taxi business. You may ask for a discount if you buy the Xylo and Verito together. Both are not very high selling models.
So, I shall check out the Xylo also. No plans for Verito though. Dad would have agreed to the Logan, as it is tried and tested, but I don't think he would go for the Verito, which is a market dud. It is not about the discounts I would get, the cars should also be desirable as there are frequent bookings from the airport area to carry foreign people, as in such cases, some people demand cars with plush interiors. The Dzire tour is finalised. Dad liked the car very much. In fact, we had strongly been considering the Swift and Dzire during our SX4 purchase and Dad is liking every bit of it.

---

Dad was at Maruti dealership (from where we have bought the Dzire last year) to check out the Dzire Tour. There was one car in stock, which was being prepped for delivery. Dad liked the package and space on offer, at the price point. The dealer has qouted Rs. 6,58,331 (after extended warranty, MGA Card, Handling charges and all). The dealer is also pushing us for a Basic MGA Kit, that includes floor mats, steering cover, perfume, mudflaps divinity idol for an additional payment of Rs. ~2k (which I think MUST be overpriced). We have still not revealed the fact that we are buying this car for Taxi purpose and that we plan to buy another car, and tried hard on negotiations. The dealer didn't offer cash discounts (or discount on the on-road price) but agreed to plenty of free accessories. The SA agreed to provide gear lock, car cover, seat covers, coloured bumpers, handles and ORVMs, 1DIN HU (with 2 front speakers) and 4 parking sensors for free. The SA is yet to decide on giving wheel covers and fog lamps for free.

Now, I would like to know whether this was a good deal. I am thinking that most of the things he is offering are not required for a Taxi, like wheel covers, body coloured exteriors and parking sensors, for instance. I would like to have some suggestions for the accessories that I should ideally go for. And, during our purchase (i.e. after paying the booking amount Rs. 10k), we will disclose the fact that we want another car, so that we can negotiate for such a deal on the other car as well.

PS. This qoute was for a white Ldi, by the way. And, the Ertiga Ldi is costing Rs. ~864766. Dad didn't like the excess beige and the space on offer. But, I am expecting similar freebies on it also. The SA said Ertiga Ldi comes with ABS.

Do suggest whether I should go for the 7 seater or 8 seater Innova? The G variant of both seating options is coming at ~15 lacs. Dad is liking the Innova to much due to the proven underpinnings. The Etios JD is costing ~8.2 lacs.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
When starting new Business WITHOUT OWN experience and with help from someone else (though Uncle), you are at a disadvantage. So many people have lost so much money in different parts of India due to very same reason. The lure of money is so powerful, it clouds one's thinking process. Whoever stepped wide lost their footing and lost their balance (pun intended). You should NOT put in too much money (Rs.25 Lacs) at one go. Better start with optimum investment.

For my short trip Taxi requirements, I choose an Indica / Micra / Etios Liva and ask the driver to take it easy. I figure most long distance Customers too prefer Safe Arrival than enthusiastically driven early arrival; you do not need a Highway Sprinter as a Taxi. Like-wise majority customers do not think of hiring a high cost classy Sedan. Comfortable, Sedate, Safe, Reliable service and all these at low cost are the key words to rope in customers. Look at your vehicle choices from that angle. Once business is established, you can invest in a higher segment car for that range customers. A couple of Taxi operators in my locality bought Dzire Tourer but sold them within a year saying Dzire T was not preferred by his regular Customers. Some operators preferred Indigo, many customers do not like it. The fun is, when offered with a discount of 50 paise/km, customers happily choose an Indigo. Mahindra Verito gives plenty of space and feels a grade above Indigo. The engine is a "mile cruncher". The most preferred proper sized Sedan by MOST customers is Etios Sedan which has a bit more re-sale value than others in Taxi segment. My regular Taxi in Delhi is a Honda City with CNG (or LPG) kit (shhhh... owner driven White board). You can look into that too. If you are happy with the progress of business after 4-6 months, you can add an MPV.

Finally, providing funds ALONE to a business is a sure shot way to get not more that 5-10 % returns. You've got to do active work in your business, not just at the office. Whoever sat in office closed shop within 2 years, as drivers find it easy to milk such owners. You've also got to develop a network with at least 4-5 reliable operators to satisfy a regular customer when your fleet is busy. Good luck for great success.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I agree with vijay. Investing in any business is risky. it's good that you took your uncles advice but your dad should have thorough knowledge about the same. There are many uncertainties that you will face.

have you considered having partnership with your uncle ? You can invest in cars and join with him and after some time after gaining experince start your own.

Also just kike vijay said investing 25 lakhs in one go isnt the best.
i'll say buy 2 cars for now. You should see on roads which cars you find the most in the city running as taxis and if i were you i'd go to gurgaon and see what type of taxis are being used.
Also what type of customers do you want.

you already have a liva, i don't see any reason why you can't buy the etios. you said it's the same from inside but you don't have to sit in the car. Other customers do.

1 liva , 1 etios and i'll say do check out the lodgy. And please don't go for the desire tour.

Thread Starter #13
When starting new Business WITHOUT OWN experience and with help from someone else (though Uncle), you are at a disadvantage. So many people have lost so much money in different parts of India due to very same reason. The lure of money is so powerful, it clouds one's thinking process. Whoever stepped wide lost their footing and lost their balance (pun intended). You should NOT put in too much money (Rs.25 Lacs) at one go. Better start with optimum investment.

For my short trip Taxi requirements, I choose an Indica / Micra / Etios Liva and ask the driver to take it easy. I figure most long distance Customers too prefer Safe Arrival than enthusiastically driven early arrival; you do not need a Highway Sprinter as a Taxi. Like-wise majority customers do not think of hiring a high cost classy Sedan. Comfortable, Sedate, Safe, Reliable service and all these at low cost are the key words to rope in customers. Look at your vehicle choices from that angle. Once business is established, you can invest in a higher segment car for that range customers. A couple of Taxi operators in my locality bought Dzire Tourer but sold them within a year saying Dzire T was not preferred by his regular Customers. Some operators preferred Indigo, many customers do not like it. The fun is, when offered with a discount of 50 paise/km, customers happily choose an Indigo. Mahindra Verito gives plenty of space and feels a grade above Indigo. The engine is a "mile cruncher". The most preferred proper sized Sedan by MOST customers is Etios Sedan which has a bit more re-sale value than others in Taxi segment. My regular Taxi in Delhi is a Honda City with CNG (or LPG) kit (shhhh... owner driven White board). You can look into that too. If you are happy with the progress of business after 4-6 months, you can add an MPV.

Finally, providing funds ALONE to a business is a sure shot way to get not more that 5-10 % returns. You've got to do active work in your business, not just at the office. Whoever sat in office closed shop within 2 years, as drivers find it easy to milk such owners. You've also got to develop a network with at least 4-5 reliable operators to satisfy a regular customer when your fleet is busy. Good luck for great success.
That was a really informative post. Thank you. I am giving my line-wise reasons for starting the service. My uncle has 9 cars currently. He had started with 5 cars four years ago and adds on a new car every year. The business is very well rewarding to the hardworking people. All his cars are gone somewhere or the other most of the time, and he has a goodwill in Faridabad. Several people who book a taxi from him usually don't go elsewhere in future, such is his behaviour. I was pressing Dad to start this Taxi service like my uncle has done but he was backing off due to the EXACT same reasons you have mentioned. And I mean that EXACT.

Last week, with a talk to my uncle, Dad thought of sharing his problem and my uncle came up with a solution. He asked us to buy 3 new cars, with 3.5 lac down payment and rest loan. He said that due to lack of cars and drivers with him (or rather due to excessive bookings for his cars), he is willing to share some of the bookings. He is doing the same with his other known ones also, who have just entered this line. It is like - He gets a call for taxi for Noida, but all the cars are already gone somewhere or the other, then he can give my number to the customer and I can send my driver to Noida. Due to my Dad's concerns over failure of the business to start well, he is even willing to buy the cars from us and pay the rest of the EMIs. This was a huge relief, especially for starters like us. My uncle is now like a supporting pillar of the business. And regarding the returns offered by the business, he gets ~5/7 booking almost everyday and collects no less than Rs. ~2k (average) from each booking. The expenses he has to do for running the business are ~30% of what he earns.

Any way, coming to my own story. I have been adviced by my uncle only to buy 1 MPV, 1 Sedan and 1 Hatchback or Sedan, as according to his experience, I would be getting customers for 1 day trips, airport pickups and drops, etc. More often, they are customers from China, US and other foriegn countries and they often demand a good rich-feeling car (say, an Etios over a Santro). That is why I am sticking to this combination of 1 MPV, 1 sedan and 1 hatchback. I agree to the fact that majority of customers would prefer just a safe and cheap, Point A to Point B type of car. My customers would often be those who have urgent needs as I don't have much contacts in this field. The Etios Sedan is not altogether removed from the race, though. It is still an option but would be my last resort. In case one of my customer asks, which car are you sending over? I would say Etios Liva. He may say that he wants a better car as his relatives are coming from Australia, then I cannot say that you can have an Etios. I hope you could understand this situation (sorry for my poor english). Thus, I am trying to buy different cars, and it is a priority and not a necessity.

What are your suggestions for the work that I should perform besides managing at an office? [roll]

I agree with vijay. Investing in any business is risky. it's good that you took your uncles advice but your dad should have thorough knowledge about the same. There are many uncertainties that you will face.

have you considered having partnership with your uncle ? You can invest in cars and join with him and after some time after gaining experince start your own.

Also just kike vijay said investing 25 lakhs in one go isnt the best.
i'll say buy 2 cars for now. You should see on roads which cars you find the most in the city running as taxis and if i were you i'd go to gurgaon and see what type of taxis are being used.
Also what type of customers do you want.

you already have a liva, i don't see any reason why you can't buy the etios. you said it's the same from inside but you don't have to sit in the car. Other customers do.

1 liva , 1 etios and i'll say do check out the lodgy. And please don't go for the desire tour.
Thanks for another wonderfully loaded post, brother! I have taken down your advice and would surely consider it. I think I am still in sort of a partnership with my uncle. I am investing in cars, and for now, the customers would be from his list of customers, and he would take over if things don't go well in our hands. Isn't that good, or do I need to give a second thought to this plan?

In a way I am joining in my uncle's business. It is a small-scale (not the website, online bookings, etc. sort of stuff) and here the founder is the boss and there are drivers who are hired by him. If I have to join with my uncle, then I would have to be a driver. Instead, I am opting for being a founder and hiring drivers, with my uncle as the helping hand for bringing in customers for the initial period till the business is settled. My Dad is running 2 factories, one in Faridabad and the other in Gurgaon and I am sure is pretty confident about his decision due to his experience.

According to my uncle, I would NOT be getting customers for 2 or 3 day trips for the initial period. I would be getting pickups, drops, etc. to railway stations, airports and at max, some ~300 km one-day trips. I am opting for an MPV and other highway friendly cars because of the development that is taking place now, we have very few (not very few but lesser) bad patches. I have to consider the future situation in mind also. What if I buy a soft suspension car considering the initial in-city commute and later have to replace it with a long distance cruiser as the passengers are not interested in the bouncy ride on highways. In future, we can expect 2/3 day trips to holiday locations, regular pickups and drops to airports, stations and some frequent ~500 km one-day trips. The Etios is still being considered and I agree that I don't have to sit inside, but if the customer is unhappy with the interiors of the Liva (and is demanding some other car), then I cannot hand over the Etios to him, if you can get my point.

The Xylo, Dzire Tour, Ertiga, Innova, Scorpio, Sunny, Etios and the Amaze are being considered. No plans to go for Tata, Skoda or VW. Some un-proven (though capable) brands like Renault and Nissan are not being considered if they don't have something really desirable, or a good USP. Even the Mahindra cars have less possibility because of their niggles, though the Xylo is a proven workhorse.

I have mailed several dealers for a price-quote of these cars today, waiting for the responses. Any major reason that I should not go in for the Dzire Tour? It is safe, reliable and is spacious and comfortable also. Dad liked the car very much and I don't think customers would be unhappy with it, after all they can't have a Camry as cab in India. [lol]

PS. If I could decide on one car first. Then the other 2 could be decided in a much easier way. Please pour in suggestions for the full-size sedans, i.e. Dzire Tour LDi or the Etios JD? The Etios is costing ~1.2+ Lac more than the Dzire, though it has ABS and Airbag. Any other options I can consider at ~7 Lac budget for this one?

Really OT: Wish I could give a thumbs up for the above 2 posts again!

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Understood. So your uncle is helping that's good.

About the desire tour - it's an old car , no upgrades or anything in that car so why go for it. Again etios seems better to me than the desire but i understand your confusion about the etios.

Btw what cars your uncle have in his fleet ? And i'm thinking if your uncle suggested you some cars or not. I was going tl say ask any drivers you see but then it hit me you have the owner of taxi fleet with you :p

One more car that i often see is the chevy enjoy. What do you think ?

And i'd say no to amaze because spares are costly although you will get amazing mileage. But if you don't go for etios then my choice will be amaze.

So liva for hatch , etios/amaze as compact sedan and chevy enjoy as an mpv ? Chevy might have that 3 years free maintenance that you'll have to check from the dealer.

Thread Starter #15
@allhyundaicars:
I had a doubt at the back of my mind on whether you would understand my previous post (due to my poor presenting skills). [lol]

Any way, my uncle has 9 cars as of now : Innova GX, Xylo E4, Verna 1.4, Dzire VDi, Dzire Tour, 2 Etios GD, Figo (2nd variant from below, I think the Lxi, or is it Exi?) and a BMW 530d (bought used, for renting on weddings and for special customers). He had started with an Innova (pre-gen), Logan, Dzire and WagonR, all of which were sold recently, in early 2015.

Will definitely consider your views about the Etios and Amaze. The Enjoy is a good car, especially among cab folks, but I needed a slightly better feeling car. Say, an Ertiga, Innova and Lodgy are better than Enjoy, Evalia, etc. There should be a feel good factor, primarily for the passengers. Else, getting an Eeco would have been an option. (No offence to the owners of any of the cars).

The Ertiga, at the price it is being offered, feels better than the proven Innova to me. The Innova looks clearly overpriced, more so in front of the Lodgy. Dad was looking for a "Dzire Tour + Ertiga + Xylo" combination. What say?

Regarding the Dzire Tour, I don't think I would get a better package at that price. At nearly 6.6 Lacs, it offers good space, cargo capacity, proven engine, known brand, reliable A.S.S. and plenty of discounts. This statement solidifies more as the SAs of different dealerships quote prices of their hatchbacks (Swift ZDi @ ~8 Lacs, Liva JD @ ~6.5 Lacs). Will decide between the Etios and Dzire Tour and even the Ertiga to finalise one in the next few days. I have driven the Ertiga and Swift (1st gen facelift model) extensively and I am okay with both the engines. Do I need to TD the Dzire Tour also?

Regards,
Nikunj

Top Bottom