Buying a Maruti 800 in 2015? Struggling To Make a Decision

Thread Starter #1
Dear Members,

I currently own a 2003 Indica Dls which I bought 6 months ago for a lakh for the learning purpose. It has solved my purpose of learning and currently, I'm very much confident of my driving.
Though I initially planned to move to a new car within a year, my current financial situation seems to not allow that in the near future. For all practical reasons, I have zeroed on buying a Maruti 800 that is well maintained with a low mileage (kms done) with a budget of 1.2 lakhs and I'm planning to keep the car for atleast another 2 years till my situation permit a new car.
The reason why I have decided to discard the Indica is that the A/C and suspensions require a major overhaul and may cost upwards 20 k which I'm not willing to spend on such a old car. However, I'm satisfied with the engine and mileage of it. Moreover, I'm also concerned of its fast depreciating resale value as it is nearing the mandatory FC period (15 years).
I'm assuming Maruti 800 would be a trouble-free car if I can find a less used one and would not be slower that the Indica DLS which is already the slowest, though bigger and heavier.
My requirements are weekend trips with an average cursing speed of 80-90 kmph and a mileage of >18 kmpl, mostly with me and wife in the car. I'm assuming 800 can do this without any fuss.
All these decisions are made based on ownership experiences of members in this forum, which a theoretical in nature, but practically I have never ridden an 800 till date.
I'm confused whether I will be disappointed with the 800's driving experience after getting used to a heavier and bigger car like Indica.
I am requesting the owners of 800 to throw some light on this issue of mine.
As 800s are taken away from showrooms long back, I would be grateful if one of owners in the middle of Tamilnadu (I'm currently in Pudukottai) is willing to offer me ride in their 800 to help me in getting rid of dilemma.

Last edited:
Re: Buying a Maruti 800 in 2015? Struggling a make a decision.

Hi Sathya,

Welcome to TAI.

Please go through the below thread,I have mentioned some info very useful to you.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/21903-help-buying-used-car-rs-1-50-000-a-2.html

Here are my views

Pro's of M800
1. Best & Direct steering experience - something you cant get in many other cars
2. Cheap Spares
3. Easy availability of spares
4. Usually cars with less than 70K on odo have very little maintenance issues
5. Easy to drive, park, easy on pocket too - city mileage of 12kmpl guaranteed
6. Try going for post 2003 cars - MPFi ones, looks neat too
7. Peppy city car - 0-60kmph without ac comes real quick, you will be happy while driving it in narrow city lanes.

Cons:
1. Dead/ Weak AC - hardly of any use if scorching summers, engine is literally killed if you switch on AC. Car with 2people will take over 15secs to hit 0 - 60kmhr
2. Poor alternator - 40amps is just not enough, upgrading will cost you 5k for a zen alternator (50amps capacity one), and you need a good electrical works shop, to change the pulley for you.
3. No booster brakes on 90% of M800's sold till date - So you wont get that feather touch brake experience
4. Bumpiest car in the country - rear seat has almost nill leg room, back seat comfort is very little
5. IF YOU LOVE AC - skip this car straight away.

OT: I have 3 of my friends who have M800 with AC in them, two of them got brand new kit for 25k installed in their cars, the cooling isnt satisfactory.

Last edited:
Re: Buying a Maruti 800 in 2015? Struggling a make a decision.

If your budget is 1.2 L you can go for a Zen 2005 model instead. The maintenance is very low, good ac cooling, even is service the ac and refuel the gas, it wont cost you more than Rs 2500, also you will get Power steering and Power windows in this cost. I would suggest you to stay away from M 800

My suggestions:

I recently brought an old 800 just for Office use. Also I have Vista VX and previously owned Indica DLS.

Comparison between Indica and 800:

1. Space - You will definitely come to know the meaning of the word "cramped" after buying 800 and you will miss your Indica for sure.

2. Safety - I'm not saying Indica is not the most safest car. Still, 100 times better than 800.

3. Brakes - I feel my Vista brakes are 150 times better than Black Indica. At the sametime, my Black Indica brakes are 100 times better than 800.(Non-Booster one)

4. Comfort - As SS80 said, the car is bumpy and very poor in comfort.

5. AC - As others said, AC is very poor in 800.

6. Rear seat - Rear Seat is very cramped and boot space is very small.

7. Mileage - Mileage wise, I'm getting around 15KMPL is Chennai city and around 19kmpl in Highways.

8. Parking - No Headache in parking.

9. Maintenance - Engine will run without any issues and less maintenance incase of any repair.

10. Speed - my car will go till 130kmph. But how about the emergency stop?? Maintaining 80-90kmph is good enough for this little car.

If you Ask me, I will say. "For a city purpose and for some 1-2hr drive in Highway with 2 person. 800 is best car"

Last edited:
No offence to M800.It can be a collectors car now. Go for Alto (2005/06)and Wagon R (2003/04) which is much safer and have resale value too.I am keeping mind the resale value of these vehicles in Chennai.

Thread Starter #6
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm looking for a car which is less than 8 years old, had done <50000 kms and preferably from a single owner. With all these criteria applied I can find only 800 in the market for 1.2 lacs. Thats why I have leaned towards 800, it being a non-sense car in terms of maintenance and running costs.

After reading your highlights on drawbacks on 800 especially braking and bumpy ride, I'm considering the esteem.

What are your thoughts on an esteem?

However, I think finding an esteem with low mileage is a great deal.

In your budget i will suggest Alto 2005-06 model in good condition. It has bone freezer AC. FE of 17-18 kmpl. Very good resale value. Very very low maintenance cost. And Good looking too.

in 2010 i bought a M800 Ac 2008 model for 122K that have driven 27K kms. i owned it for two year & then sold it for 90K.

It have very low maintenance cost for sure, (i spend rs 250 for break pads of Activa while 270 for disk pads of M800 & that will last moe then double as compare to active [;)]).

as everyone else mentioned there is few things that will not make M800 a good buy.
Breaks, AC not good, Gear shift is also not as smooth as in alto.

I will suggest to look for below options

1. Alto - you an get 4-5 yr old good condition alto Lx/Lxi in 120 to 140K

2. Wagon R -

3. Santro - i owned for 7 years & i will say santro is a reliable car & it will do everything that you expect from a small car except for Chilling AC (i feel ac is not good in Santro but its ok).

4. nano - although few people think its not good car but if you don't have to drive much on highway then its great car. AC is best & have low maintenance cost. you can get a good condition nano in less then 1L that have driven less then 15K.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm looking for a car which is less than 8 years old, had done <50000 kms and preferably from a single owner. With all these criteria applied I can find only 800 in the market for 1.2 lacs. Thats why I have leaned towards 800, it being a non-sense car in terms of maintenance and running costs.

After reading your highlights on drawbacks on 800 especially braking and bumpy ride, I'm considering the esteem.

What are your thoughts on an esteem?

However, I think finding an esteem with low mileage is a great deal.
Esteem is a very good choice. I bought a 2007 Vxi in 2012 with 60k on the odo for 1.25L from True Value. After 2.5 years and adding 30k kms, I sold it for 1.15 L . Very low maintenance and extremely fun to drive.

I would recommend an 800/Alto/Zen/WagonR in your case since you

-do not wish to extend you budget
-do not wish to spend more on maintenance/repairs
-car with good FE
-car with less spare cost.

In that case search for Tata Nano LX 2012/2013 or you are luck then you could get Nano XT at around 1.3 to 1.4 lac.

Buying an such a old car at this price wouldn't be wise decision.

Thread Starter #11
Esteem is a very good choice. I bought a 2007 Vxi in 2012 with 60k on the odo for 1.25L from True Value. After 2.5 years and adding 30k kms, I sold it for 1.15 L . Very low maintenance and extremely fun to drive.
@Altocumulus: What is the mileage I can expect with a 2006/2007 Esteem when driven between 80-100 kmph in the highway with and without AC. Itg would be valuable if you can add more points on ownership of Esteem

@Altocumulus: What is the mileage I can expect with a 2006/2007 Esteem when driven between 80-100 kmph in the highway with and without AC. Itg would be valuable if you can add more points on ownership of Esteem
If you driving between 80 - 100 you will get 18 with AC and around 19-20 without. Also depends on how much load you are carrying. With 5 on board, 100% AC and driving over 120 I have got 16.5 kmpl.

The things you need to check are rust. I thoroughly had mine checked for no rust before buying. An intermittent trouble would be your left front power window. Don't know why but that seems to be a problem for many people. I regularly used silicon spray to keep it smooth. otherwise its a trouble free and fuss free car and a hoot to drive. Timely maintenance is the key. I had the timing belt and all other belts changes at 80k . Regular oil change after 5k kms max.

Hello there Sathya_Rajiv
Given your requirement, Maruti 800 seems like a better option for you.
Brought an Indica just six months back for a lakh. You have decided to discard the vehicle and you do have financial situation as well. With those issues, you wont get much for that Indica. Anyways, all the best with that.

Buying a Maruti 800 in 2015? If it is even worth it at this age.
Go for a more recent one. You get AC and you don't really need a power steering, it is pretty user friendly. It all depends on your needs. The car is very basic. A tiny 3 pot mill that does the job well I must say. Interiors are basic, you don't get the moulded door pads. When you don't have a lot of options and can't ask for more, what else do you have?!

Nano is great as a second car for the city. This is not a 'second car' for you and you want something reliable to get the job done keeping in mind the expenses. If well maintained, there is no problem taking it out for a long drive with your family. You can't expect Merc S class comfort or power in there and it isn't a Hummer H1. Well, none of these new Maruti Suzukis are safe, that is another matter. You need not worry, you shouldn't have any problem using one.

With a used car, you can expect at least small issues here and there. Tires and battery isn't a big problem. Make sure the car is well maintained and you won't have major issues. Go for one that is run on petrol only. I recommend only petrol run as it is safer and the engine lasts longer as well. You have good amount of power and fuel efficiency.

This is a car that doesn't need a lot of attention, so you can focus on important matters. Insurance costs are cheap and yearly maintenance won't be hard on your pocket. For two years you can concentrate on getting things done for yourself and still have a car at home.

If you can stretch for an Alto. That is fine. It will be slightly more comfortable.
I would say keep away from Esteem, Zens and such cars which are more of heart based decisions. Not when you need to take decisions using your mind. See, the running costs and if in case it needs work, it will put you off financially and emotionally. So better play safe for two years.

Hope that helped. And wish you all the best, may good times soon smile upon you. God bless, your financial status be fine and after two years, hope to see a post about your brand new car, something better.

peace

I would suggest go for the car that are still being produced if you want to go for a used car. People generally sell car as the cars are old and have started giving trouble. Very few indians sell the car inorder to buy a new one. We Indians want to extract till its possible. So go for cars that are currently being produced.

I would suggest you could go for Waggie, or Nano. Or Probably if you are lucky, you may find a Vista too for that price range.

Top Bottom