> New or Used: Used

> Your Location: Chennai

> Top Five Priorities: Low maintenance, Comfort, mileage, safety

> Monthly Running: 500kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Daily Commute and occasional Long drive

> Seating Capacity: 4 Adults

> Type of Segment: Hatchback

I am from Chennai and i would like to buy my first car. Since i am learning driving now, i don't know much about car. So please help me choosing a right car. I previously shortlisted maruti 800, but it is very much cramped. Now it is out of my list.

Please suggest me a good car which has good mileage and low maintenance! I have listed some here. Which car i should go for?[confused]

1. Alto
2. Alto 800
3. WagonR
4. WagonR Duo

Thanks,
Scopking

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Help on Buying a Used Car For Rs.60K

for learning purpose a simple m800 will suffice. you may also be lucky to find an old alto, wagon r or indca in that budget.

do visit places like Maruti, Mahindra, tata used cars showroom. it's better to have a tested and certified car as your learning should be as smooth as possible.

Re: Need help on buying my first car

I am suggesting Alto or alto k10 (both old model). Very sweat car, good performance , very less maintenance cost, very good fuel efficiency , very good resale value.

Hi scorpking,

Go for Alto (old type). It's the perfect car for a beginner. You may look at the newly launched NextGen Nano if you car stretch your budget a lakh more.

With your budget ,you must be able to get a 2006-2007 model Alto LXi with power steering and AC in good condition.Don't go for older models .When you buy check with a mechanic for any accidents on the car.

For first time drivers, M800 would be a good option. You can have a look online at stores of reputed second hand car dealers in your city. Most of them keep the lists updated with cars. You can look at the options you have in 60k budget online first.

If you are looking to buy and sell the car after learning, then you can look at less reliable (not unreliable) cars which are driven for 80k+/1L+ kms. These cars could be Octavia, Accent and the like. Else you can find some M800, WagonR, Zen, Ikon and maybe Nano in good condition.

If you visit a dealer and shortlist certain cars that are on sale, then we would be able to assist you better. Anyway, look for the options mentioned by me and bhvm.

Do you plan to keep the car to learn only and then sell it off or you want to keep it longer?

I am completely against buying a used vehicle for learning. Its better to buy a car and learn driving on it.
For completely novice learners who dont know what gears are, its better to learn from a driving school.

The reason why I am against these low cost vehicles are many - The first one is wastage of money. Second is, these vehicles can breakdown anytime. Tyres can give way too. For a learner, if this happens in a moving vehicle, he would be in more trouble than any experienced driver.

Thread Starter #9
I am suggesting Alto or alto k10 (both old model). Very sweat car, good performance , very less maintenance cost, very good fuel efficiency , very good resale value.
Thanks for your input..[:)]

With your budget ,you must be able to get a 2006-2007 model Alto LXi with power steering and AC in good condition.Don't go for older models .When you buy check with a mechanic for any accidents on the car.
Thanks for the reply, and What are things i should ask the seller while inquiring?

Thread Starter #10

alto lxi 2005 to 2009 should be in your budget
Thanks pravin..

I came across a 2001 maruti 800 5 speed, quoted Rs-55,000 by the seller. Should i check it or not. What is your advice on buying a 5 speed 800? Since you have owned it previously.

Tell me about its mileage, maintenance and issues in it.

Thanks,
Scorpking

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@scorpion king - did you increased your budget to 150000? thread title says so. you can get much better cars in better condition in that budget.

Scorpking:
With a budget of about 1.5lakhs, the most sensible car you can buy is a type 2 WagonR (2003-2006 approx mfg dates). The car has most VFM than any other car in this segment, proper 4 reclining seats, ample space, booster brakes, Power Steering, AC, Heater, 13" wheels, 4cylinder engine that if looked after well can munch 1.5lakh kms!

My friend bought a used one last year, almost zero maintenance car, even better than alto. The car does not topple like the way people exaggerate, I have driven it upto 120kmhr on my way to Davangere twice.

Here is a pic of the Wagon R type 2 - one of my old friends car, which he bought from True Value, very neat condition, stock engine - 95,000kms driven - VXi variant.

Wagonr0643.jpg

Wagonr0642.jpg

Wagonr0644.jpg

All the best.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

For first time drivers, M800 would be a good option. You can have a look online at stores of reputed second hand car dealers in your city. Most of them keep the lists updated with cars. You can look at the options you have in 60k budget online first.

If you are looking to buy and sell the car after learning, then you can look at less reliable (not unreliable) cars which are driven for 80k+/1L+ kms. These cars could be Octavia, Accent and the like. Else you can find some M800, WagonR, Zen, Ikon and maybe Nano in good condition.

If you visit a dealer and shortlist certain cars that are on sale, then we would be able to assist you better. Anyway, look for the options mentioned by me and bhvm.

Do you plan to keep the car to learn only and then sell it off or you want to keep it longer?
Hi Niku,

I would like to improve my driving skills with that car. After some time i would sell it and upgrade with new car.

I came across a maruti 800 2001 5 speed from a individual quoted Rs55,000 and 2008 maruti 800 with lpg option from a dealer quoted Rs1.3L.

Should i check that 2001 MPFI model?
I have read that 4valve mpfi models are more fuel efficient than a 2 valve mpfi. Is that true?

Thread Starter #15
Scorpking:
With a budget of about 1.5lakhs, the most sensible car you can buy is a type 2 WagonR (2003-2006 approx mfg dates). The car has most VFM than any other car in this segment, proper 4 reclining seats, ample space, booster brakes, Power Steering, AC, Heater, 13" wheels, 4cylinder engine that if looked after well can munch 1.5lakh kms!

My friend bought a used one last year, almost zero maintenance car, even better than alto. The car does not topple like the way people exaggerate, I have driven it upto 120kmhr on my way to Davangere twice.

Here is a pic of the Wagon R type 2 - one of my old friends car, which he bought from True Value, very neat condition, stock engine - 95,000kms driven - VXi variant.

View attachment 170911

View attachment 170912

View attachment 170913

All the best.
Hi ss80,

Welcome, I am big fan of you!

I have read your M800 restoration threads and its an inspiring one! You still own that 1991 maruti 800?

I will consider your suggestion about type 2 wagon r and i will keep it as an option.

What would you suggest me (newbie for a car just learning my driving)
a 5speed 800 or old Alto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom