New Automatic Car For Rs.8 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Let me be clear - Iam no petrol head. I just want a decent automatic car which helps me go from point A to B in city (and is not looked down upon by colleagues - yes, I shouldn't care, but I can't help it!) and occasional run of over 60 km distance on highway. I need a decent boot space for those twice a month trip to airport and to drive with my Niece and her precious bicycle. Ofcourse I need a GPS. I don't know if MapMYIndia is good enough so I like to have an OEM navigation unit.
Please suggest a automatic car matching the aforementioned criteria.The budget is 8 Lakhs exshowroom. I don't want to spend more on a mere[;)] car. I don't mind waiting till July (may be for Honda Jazz - I am not sure if the CVT version will cost below 8 Lakhs exshowroom) Thanks in advance

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ akash - i20 doesn't have an automatic.

@ seldrive - for your requirements tata zest xta came to my mind. 8 lakhs ex-showroom + navigation + amt

I don't know if you're comfortable with amt. You can take a TD.

IMO, You can have look at Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire VXI AT. It has decent boot and nice mileage. Its a very practical vehicle for your budget. The new Dzire is pretty nice vehicle.

Regards,
CARleone

Hello selfdrive.Waiting for the Jazz CVT doesn't make sense as I don't think that Jazz Auto may fall under your budget (as Honda would like to get their prices right this time), but the on road price and that too in Chennai, would certainly make this car overpriced.You would be better off in a Compact Sedan as a hatchback would be practically useless if you need to carry a bicycle while on the go. You can have a look at the Honda Amaze AT and the Maruti Dzire AT. Although there would not be a great difference in the space in each one of them, but it is the engine, handling and brand value that is different.You can get MMI GPS installed at aftermarket shops in your area. So, don't make navigation system a must-have while deciding for the car.AMT is also an option if you are not keen on fully automatic cars. You can TD the Zest for some good knowledge about the AMT. If you are okay with AMT, then safely add the Zest to your list.

Hi SelDrive, apologies for posting my query in your thread. If you find it as a hindrance, please let me know and I will delete my post.

Hi TAIger's! I'm looking for a decent automatic car too. My budget is around 8.5 lacs on road. Pretty much eyeing the same cars suggested here. My options as of today stand -
1. Tata Zest XMA - 8.61 lacs
2. Swift Dzire VXi AT - 7.86 lacs
3. Honda Jazz S CVT - 8.5 lacs
I'm not too keen on Micra or Brio as I find them too small for my liking. From the options above, all three cars have different auto transmission technologies (AMT vs Torque Converter vs CVT). My usage is 70% city (heavy traffic) & 30% highways and overall around 1000 km per month. Can I request experts to throw some light on which auto transmission technology is better for my usage. Also, overall which is a better car considering factors like AT technology, fuel efficiency, fuel type (zest being a diesel, the rest petrol cars), ride & handling, build quality, maintenance, spare costs etc. Being a first time car buyer, I'm really confused. Please help me. Thanks a lot!

Dzire AT can be safely ruled out as it is an old-school 4 speed torque convertor. I really dont know what you get in a Dzire vs a Zest or Jazz. Smallest interiors, smallest boot space. In fact, the Micra that you shut out has the same interior size as a Swift/Dzire, and a decent boot at 250 litres. It is also well equipped with ABS/Airbags and other nick-nacks . I own a Micra CVT and it is one of the smoothest automatic city cars i have ever driven anywhere. It is a completely economical, well built and niggle free car. I get 15kmpl in Pune city conditions. However, if larger size is an absolute must, go for the Jazz.

In your case Tata Zest AMT diesel would be the best option. With a sports mode this car is fun to drive. Zest is a practical car with all necessary features like HID, DLR, good boot space, good ground clearance. The FIAT MJD engine really rocks under the hood.

With its autotranny variant this car would be fun to drive. Along with all the features ZEST had never compromise on safety, which includes 9 gen Bosch ABS+EBD+CSC and has dual airbag too.

Thanks 'acechip' and 'amitpshelke', for your inputs.
@acechip - I've considered micra CVT and almost finalized it during Jan 2015, but the final on road price put me off (it was around 8.32 lacs). 3 pot engine, rubber band effect, Nissan A.S.S and small external dimensions (though spacious enough inside) at that price put me off. I convinced myself to wait for Jazz CVT. After Jazz's launch this month, I was even more disappointed with its price (8.5 lacs with no airbags [cry]). Though I agree that CVT and torque converter type AT's are best to negotiate traffic than an AMT/DCT.
@amitpshelke - My budget doesn't allow me to go for Zest XTA. If I choose Zest, I've to settle for XMA which doesn't come with all the features you mentioned (DRL's, airbags etc.).
My only options right now are to wait for future AT cars or go for Zest XMA or buy a manual diesel car which doesn't have much turbo lag and ample low end torque (something like the upcoming Ford Figo Aspire) that helps in negotiating traffic. Will I be regretting later, if I go for a manual diesel? I heard diesel's are hard to stall and very easy in traffic. My only requirement is ease of driving coupled with good fuel efficiency. Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Thats the problem with that pricing. The Micra turns out to be the only well rounded AT package between 6-8 lacs. In all the other cars there is something or the other lacking. Nissan A.S.S is quite satisfactory for me. And while the rubber band effect is there, it is nothing that will put you off. Just dont expect it to out-accelerate the bigger cars. That too can be overcome if you apply the Sport mode, but then you are sacrificing FE.

Hi SelDrive, apologies for posting my query in your thread. If you find it as a hindrance, please let me know and I will delete my post.

Hi TAIger's! I'm looking for a decent automatic car too. My budget is around 8.5 lacs on road. Pretty much eyeing the same cars suggested here. My options as of today stand -
1. Tata Zest XMA - 8.61 lacs
2. Swift Dzire VXi AT - 7.86 lacs
3. Honda Jazz S CVT - 8.5 lacs
I'm not too keen on Micra or Brio as I find them too small for my liking. From the options above, all three cars have different auto transmission technologies (AMT vs Torque Converter vs CVT). My usage is 70% city (heavy traffic) & 30% highways and overall around 1000 km per month. Can I request experts to throw some light on which auto transmission technology is better for my usage. Also, overall which is a better car considering factors like AT technology, fuel efficiency, fuel type (zest being a diesel, the rest petrol cars), ride & handling, build quality, maintenance, spare costs etc. Being a first time car buyer, I'm really confused. Please help me. Thanks a lot!
I would suggest go for Zest Eyes closed.

Top Bottom