New VFM Petrol Hatch with Safety Features

Thread Starter #1
My brother is in market for a vfm hatch, the requirements are,

1. Has to be petrol
2. Should have at least ABS
3. Should be from Maruti
4. I have suggested him, celerio zxi o manual, wagon R ABS, swift zxi. Haven't considered ritz or alto k10 or any AMT versions.

Please suggest a car which is good on comfort as well, my vote goes for celerio manual topend and swift zxi.

Re: New petrol VFM Hatch with safety features

Swift ZXi will be the best bet here.
Wagon R with ABS is not produced in many numbers.(Waiting period !)
The most VFM would be Ritz Zxi ,which you don't want to consider.
Honda brio and Polo are also good contenders.

Last edited:

You haven't mentioned budget.

In that case,
Celerio ZXI(O) Manual
Swift ZXI

Among these 2, Swift is more fun to drive, but I personally felt Celerio is good choice because of rear bench comfort and space!

Swift have 1.2L 4 cylinder FTD engine
Celerio have 1L 3 cyl FE based engine.

Since you mentioned comfort, I go with Celerio. BT Why only Maruthi?

I would say, if you're sticking with Maruti, Then Swift would be the best option.

Compared to other small hatches form the Maruti, swift has a better rigid cabin and safety features.[:D]

If you're looking for a responsive Auto from another Brand, please do a TD of Polo GT TSI.

Best in its class and super responsive.[;)]

I would say, if you're sticking with Maruti, Then Swift would be the best option.

Compared to other small hatches form the Maruti, swift has a better rigid cabin and safety features.[:D]

If you're looking for a responsive Auto from another Brand, please do a TD of Polo GT TSI.

Best in its class and super responsive.[;)]
Care to explain? Swift has the worst in this class. All the accidents that we seem prove this point. If you ask me, even Celerio's tin is better than Swift's wafer thin metal body!

Care to explain? Swift has the worst in this class. All the accidents that we seem prove this point. If you ask me, even Celerio's tin is better than Swift's wafer thin metal body!
dear furious I have both cars and to tell the truth Celerio looks like more airy ,spacious and structurally sound etc.But the space they had obtained is by keeping a smaller seat .The seat is one inch smaller than that of Swift,means less thigh support.Inside swift you feel more comfortable as there are some thick pillars to save you in case of an overturn. Celerio is a joke if you compare it to Swift .Celerio is just a city car for small time running.Swift is the only car from Maruti which at least have some character in that segment .(The other one,Ritz,they killed[anger]). Number of celerio sales will give you the correct picture.

dear furious I have both cars and to tell the truth Celerio looks like more airy ,spacious and structurally sound etc.But the space they had obtained is by keeping a smaller seat .The seat is one inch smaller than that of Swift,means less thigh support.Inside swift you feel more comfortable as there are some thick pillars to save you in case of an overturn. Celerio is a joke if you compare it to Swift .Celerio is just a city car for small time running.Swift is the only car from Maruti which at least have some character in that segment .(The other one,Ritz,they killed[anger]). Number of celerio sales will give you the correct picture.
We don't know that yet, until we see a Celerio in accident and how it takes the impact. Swift rear seat is claustrophobic. Rear legroom is poor. While travelling in Celerio rear seat I never had those feelings.

Comparing SWIFT with CELERIO is not a fair. You must define your requirement in terms of

- daily/monthly KMS runs
- budget
- types of terrains [city/highway/towns/off-roads]
- people travelling most of times
- looking for AT/MT?

if you list down these requirements then TAI members can help you with best options.

As far the metal sheet quality that CELERIO or SWIFT uses is same i.e the 'x' guage of the metal sheet used to design the body of both car is same.

We don't know that yet, until we see a Celerio in accident and how it takes the impact. Swift rear seat is claustrophobic. Rear legroom is poor. While travelling in Celerio rear seat I never had those feelings.
The claustrophobia is due to the small window in the back and the interiors are not as light as Celerio.As again rear legroom is more in celerio by sacrificing the comfort of the front driver seat.

Any way the class and power of both cars are different.If it is mileage the customer wants ,can go for Celerio.If it is more driver comfort and road presence go for swift. I think there will be a price difference of 1 Lac. Correct me if I am wrong.

As you have said safety features, pick a top end hatch that has got the safety features. understandable maruthi means VFM. no doubt in that. But times has changed, lot of manufactures have bought some good cars in our market. you have a whole lot of options. I would recommended zest petrol. scores better than swift in terms of space and it can seat 3 in middle row, features.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

daily/monthly KMS runs -- monthly @ 13k to 15k.
- budget -- upto 8 lacs, but he is not interested to buy something like grand i10 or elite i20, polo, since he has first gen vento and he doesn't like it.
- types of terrains [city/highway/towns/off-roads] mostly city 70% and highways 30%, Indian roads of course.
- people travelling most of times -- 2-3 max.
- looking for AT/MT? -- MT preferred.

Wagon R is also one contender, however I found celerio better, also the swift. I also agree that swift has very less space at the rear.

The reason for only maruti is that after using vento he has realised the service bills, spares costs etc are too high for other cars, except Toyota, Toyota's are cheaper to maintain and reliable, but the Liva is available in 1.2 which he did not like and liva diesel is noisy, otherwise budget is not a constraint for him. Thus we arrived at maruti considering all parameters and that too narrowed down to these three cars, swift, celerio and wagonR.

Last edited:
Have a look at the bolt. Tata's are cheaper than maruti. in my opinion maruti's reputation is over hyped and all their models including the swift failed the global ncap test . at around 5.5 lakhs the vw polo offers dual airbags and has passed ncap tests. maruti's heydays are behind her. polo tredline is the cheapest car which has passed global ncap tests. all maruti entry models failed miserably in crash tests so keep miles away from those tin cans if safety is a real priority. bolt looks sturdy enough but no crash test data to prove it's looks.

Top Bottom