Buying Driver's Car / Fun To Drive Car For Rs.3L

Thread Starter #1
Hi Petrolheads,

I am looking forward to buy used "driver oriented fun to drive car" within a budget of 3L (max).

It all started when due to pure coincidence, I test drove a very well maintained Palio 1.6 GTX. Oh boy !!! ....It was very unlike any car I had driven. I was blown away with the mad acceleration & the way the car handled. I was left mesmerized. I got excited by the thought that how an decade old, 1.2 lac (something) rupee car can put wide grin on your face every time you drive her. [clap]
Time passed by but this thought remained in my mind. Now I am at a juncture, where I had made up my mind (& did my calculations) that I will got for pure fun to drive pre-owned petrol car.

Now, I need views from all you guys to select the right car for me; as I am new to this territory. My criteria's are as follows,

1. I am looking for a Petrol Car.
2. The car has to be the driver's delight. No shortage of power, very good ride & handling. It should put grin on the face every time I get behind the wheel.
3. I am not fussy about fuel economy anything between 8-12 is OK for me.
4. My budget is 3L max. This includes the initial expenses that I may have to do immediately after buying the car.
5. I plan to keep the car for three years. No more no less.
6. Apart from 3L initial budget, I have expected & budgeted Rs. 30K per year towards maintenance. I expect maintenance costs in this range.
7. Should be reasonably reliable. I don't expect car to be bullet proof in reliability but at same time I don't want to see a mechanic every month; once in a 4-5 months is fine.
8. I am not fussy on resale value as well, if I am paying 3L now & I could get 1L -1.25L post three years then also I am fine.

I have did some google-ing on my requirement & based on that I have prepared following wishlist. Need help from you guys to know which one would suit my requirement the most. I have written my fears in the bracket. Please do let me know your views.

1. Palio GTX/S10 (not sure about spares & reliability)
2. Mitsubishi Cedia (not sure if my budget is enough for well maintained car also don't know if maintenance cost would be higher than my budget of Rs. 30K per year)
3. Fiat Linea T-Jet (will be tough to find one in my budget)
4. Fiesta 1.6 (Haven't driven yet, not sure if it can match FTD factor of GTX or Cedia)
5. Honda Civic (same fears as that of Cedia+GC is an issue)

I have tried to outline my situation best possible I could. Please drop in with your views. Obviously, you are always welcome to suggest me fresh option that exists & I haven't considered yet.

This is 3 am in the morning & I am posting this thread; you can easily judge how excited I am.

Looking forward to your replies. :please:

Last edited:
Re: Buying Driver's Car/Fun to Drive Car for 3L

Power + Fun + Budget + "Some sort of assurance from manufacturer" = Fiesta Petrol .

You may not worry about re-sale value, but consider spares availability while selecting an used car.

PS: The day T-Jet is available for under 3 lakhs, s might fly .

Thread Starter #3

Power + Fun + Budget + "Some sort of assurance from manufacturer" = Fiesta Petrol .
Thanks. I assume you are referring to Fiesta 1.6 version. Some questions about Fiesta,

1. How would you rate her in comparison of GTX?
2. Shall I only search for "1.6 S" version or regular 1.6 also has same fun?

Don't know why, but I always had image in mind that Fiesta is sort of family sedan than a performance car. I guess, I am wrong.

Since you are from pune i don't think finding a tjet would be that difficult .
But you have a budget though i think civic makes far more sense for you believe me civic is also a fun to drive like a tjet it comes equipped with hydraulic steering .
But yes gc may be a issue with civic but 30k maintenance worth of budget for maintaining the car is enough .
BEST OF LUCK

Thanks. I assume you are referring to Fiesta 1.6 version. Some questions about Fiesta,

1. How would you rate her in comparison of GTX?
2. Shall I only search for "1.6 S" version or regular 1.6 also has same fun?

Don't know why, but I always had image in mind that Fiesta is sort of family sedan than a performance car. I guess, I am wrong.
Yes, I refer to Fiesta 1.6S Duratec, the "Go FIDA" car. My recommendation is based on some research I did about 5-6 years back when I briefly flirted with the idea of going FIDA.

My knowledge on Palio is extremely less and hence I will keep silent.

Hmmm, nice observation about "sort of family sedan than a performance car". I too had observed plenty of drivers treating their City / Fiestas that way. I was told by a few friends that it was due to the mileage after spirited drives. That's when I decided my next car should be a Diesel; got a diesel now.

IIRC, there's a new ownership review on the (old) Fiesta Petrol in TAI.

Since you are OK with lower FE then I would suggest FIAT Palio 1.6 Petrol head.

It would much cheaper and within 2.5 lac you can upgrade/repair interior, dents, paint job, extra accessories, gadgets etc. Within that amount you may repair some engine work, if required.

Am I missing the monthly running? Isn't it a vital factor to estimate the annual maintenance?
Going by your requirements, I would suggest the below cars,
1) Honda Civic (If you could get a virgin specimen in this price bracket)
2) Fiesta 1.6 (Have fun with stock
3) Old Honda City vtec

Thread Starter #8
Since you are from pune i don't think finding a tjet would be that difficult .
But you have a budget though i think civic makes far more sense for you ......
Thanks. I am keeping watch on T-jets as well. Till now most of them are around 4L. Hoping to get bargain at 3L level.

Civic is definitely more tempting. Again most of the Civics available around 3L are 2006,2007 with odo reading more than 70/80K. Will it be worthwhile to go for such old car?

Since you are OK with lower FE then I would suggest FIAT Palio 1.6 Petrol head.

It would much cheaper and within 2.5 lac you can upgrade/repair interior, dents, paint job, extra accessories, gadgets etc. Within that amount you may repair some engine work, if required.
You are spot on Amit. However, I am bit worried on reliability part. Will the refurbished Palio reliable enough? I don't wish to see mechanic often. As mentioned, once is 5-6 months is fine.

Am I missing the monthly running? Isn't it a vital factor to estimate the annual maintenance?
Going by your requirements, I would suggest the below cars,
1) Honda Civic (If you could get a virgin specimen in this price bracket)
2) Fiesta 1.6 (Have fun with stock
3) Old Honda City vtec
Hi, thanks for reply. My running will be 900 to 1000 km per month (50% city & 50% highway).
If you can, then please throw some light on my query about Civic I have posted above.
Fiesta is now among top three choices.
Sorry, no Honda City.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for reply. My running will be 900 to 1000 km per month (50% city & 50% highway).
If you can, then please throw some light on my query about Civic I have posted above.
We have a 2007 Civic with 1.6L+ km on odo. Major part replacement is Engine mounts (covered under warranty), Rear shock absorbers & Clutch plate (Plus couple of Brake discs and few set of Brake pads) It's a reliable machine, but again the reliability depends on the amount of care taken by the previous owner. Part replacement is costlier than other cars listed here, but if maintained well, they last long. All that you need is wide open eyes to check the complete history and current condition of the car and a bit of luck to get a good machine.

Thread Starter #10
Hi All, My apologies for not updating this thread. Thanks for all your inputs. I wanted to close the loop. Thus I am posting this update.
In dramatic turn of events, I bought pre-worshiped Fiat Punto from my ex-colleague. It's 2012, MJD Emotion. Though not the best in terms of outright acceleration, Punto is definitely engaging to drive & I am hapy with my decision. What's more? She is easy on pocket too.
Before this decision, I had test driven all cars which we had discussed in this thread. The main problem was finding very well maintained car sold by owner himswelf. Almost all the cars were sold by dealers where past history, present condition was questionable. Whenever I found immaculate condition car, dealers quoted ridiculous price for it & didn't negotiate. After search of 3-4 months, I gave up the idea & picked up this Punto from my friend. I had bought this car in Aug-15. It has been about two years & 45K km of driving since then. [:D]

Once again, thank you all for your support.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Hi All, My apologies for not updating this thread. Thanks for all your inputs. I wanted to close the loop. Thus I am posting this update.
In dramatic turn of events, I bought pre-worshiped Fiat Punto from my ex-colleague. It's 2012, MJD Emotion. Though not the best in terms of outright acceleration, Punto is definitely engaging to drive & I am hapy with my decision. What's more? She is easy on pocket too.
Before this decision, I had test driven all cars which we had discussed in this thread. The main problem was finding very well maintained car sold by owner himswelf. Almost all the cars were sold by dealers where past history, present condition was questionable. Whenever I found immaculate condition car, dealers quoted ridiculous price for it & didn't negotiate. After search of 3-4 months, I gave up the idea & picked up this Punto from my friend. I had bought this car in Aug-15. It has been about two years & 45K km of driving since then. [:D]

Once again, thank you all for your support.
1.3MJD is a delightful engine
I had a Ritz with the same engine, sold it with a heavy heart since I bought non-ABS variant and needed ABS for future highway driving
Im thinking of buying Ignis next

kkn13

Suspended
You seem to love odd shaped cars[lol]IMHO Ignis is overpriced.
I do very much[:D]
I know Ignis is overpriced [cry] but I love the quirky looks and the engine, maybe Ill buy with AMT instead of manual
Unfortunately barely any decent diesels in this range

I TDed Ameo and it was terrible overall other than the engine
Barely any space and reliability concerns

Hence I am considering Ignis
I already have a City so larger sedans are out of question

Top Bottom