Used Hatchback For Rs.5 Lakhs?

Thread Starter #1
Need a Second-hand car to replace my family's 7 year old SX4.
My monthly drive is about 600 km in City traffic in Pune.
My requirements:
1. Airbag and ABS
2. Decent power (75hp+)
3. Decent mileage (15kmpl~)

And that's it. This car is going to be used for just the remaining 2 years of my college.

Which Car, Variant and Fuel type would suit me?

Thank you,
Daipayan

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Used hatchback for 5 lakhs?

Why do you need a second hand hatchback with a good budget of 5 lakhs ?
I'll say buy a new one .

Fuel type - petrol since your running is just 600kms.

Options.
1. Celerio zxi opt (4.96 lakhs ex-showroom, around 5.5-5.6 lakhs on road delhi)less of you get any discounts.
- ABS
- AIRBAGS
-DECENT MILEAGE
- POWER IS 68BHP.

2.Maruti stingray vxi opt(4.72 lakhs)
- just 1 airbag , rest is same.

3.maruti wagonR(4.53) this will come within your 5 lakhs budget.
- everything you need

4.Nissan Micra Active safety pack (5 lakhs)

5. Ritz Zxi ( 5.5 lakhs ex showroom) will touch 6 lakhs just an option.

Best would be the celerio IMO.

You don't want to buy a diesel because your running is less , if you buy a used petrol you never know what type of mileage you'll get and how the owner has maintained the car.

If you Still want a used car , buy from the company 2nd hand dealers with warranty. Will be a little bit expensive than the market price but you'll be happy.

I've a feeling Swift 1.2 ZXi is in your cross-hair. Drop a word with ALL local Dealers and they'll contact you when someone wants to exchange their lightly used Swift for a Sedan/SUV. It frequently happens in Bangalore Hyundai Showrooms.

Buying a used hatchback at this price is not a wise option unless you get a very rarely used very well maintained car.

Else buying a new car would always be great choice.

A new/old MS Ritz ZXi would always a best choice for college going. A Sturdy tall boy styling is better in my opinion.

A rare chance:
Since you are a college student, there may be chances of long and short trip frequently, so diesel variant may be a good option for you. Considering you a enthusiast.

Thread Starter #5
1. Celerio zxi opt (4.96 lakhs ex-showroom, around 5.5-5.6 lakhs on road delhi)less of you get any discounts.
- ABS
- AIRBAGS
-DECENT MILEAGE
- POWER IS 68BHP.
Thanks allhyundaicars. Yes buying a new car does seem to be a better idea. Once my finals get over I will test drive the Alto K10(seems like a really good bargain), Celerio, Ritz and the Micra.

I've a feeling Swift 1.2 ZXi is in your cross-hair. Drop a word with ALL local Dealers and they'll contact you when someone wants to exchange their lightly used Swift for a Sedan/SUV. It frequently happens in Bangalore Hyundai Showrooms.
Thanks Vijay for that idea. Although a new hatchback does seem to be a better choice. A barely used Swift won't be a too bad idea either.

Since you are a college student, there may be chances of long and short trip frequently, so diesel variant may be a good option for you. Considering you a enthusiast.
Thanks Amit. For 4 out of 7 days a week I take my father's Laura to college, after dropping him off at his office. The new car would be for the other three days when Dad needs to go to Mumbai and for those roadtrips(Diveagar, Alibag, Mumbai, Lonavala) with friends [:D] . So I don't think the car will be running more than 600-700 km per month. It was really nice of you to think that way! [;)]

Being a college student myself, I can very well understand what you are hinting at. With a decent budget of 5 lakhs and a mind set on used cars, I think you should aim at higher end Diesel Hatchback with 20-30k on the odometer. Do keep in mind that this being a used car, and therefore not as reliable as a brand new car, you should keep some money spare in case something fishy occurs.

You can look at used Polo diesels and Swift diesels (early 2012 models with ~50k or 2011 models with ~25k). Both cars have frugal engines, although a Polo wouldn't give you much resale value when you need to sell the car in 2-3 years time.

Here in NCR, my friend has bought a Polo TDI Trendline for 2.65 Lacs, 4 years used with 23k on the odo. If you can get such deals in your area, then you are better off with a Polo under 3/3.25Lacs. If you cant find yourself a Polo in this range, then you are better off looking for a Swift as it would have a better resale value. Keep your budget upto 4 Lacs maximum IMO because it being a second hand car would need basic maintenance and repair. Plus, when you plan to sell it, you cant expect more than 3 Lacs. Keep the remaining 1 lac as reserve in case you need to change the tyres or other parts.

Buy a used honda city. You'll get well maintained car in 4lakhs or try to get honda civic. My choice would be honda city if you worry about maintenance if you look stylish powerful civic is for you. You are youngster don't buy celerio swift etc. Try to get atleast fiat linea tjet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom