Its time! Time for me to own a new car. My OWN Car. I am tired of asking dad for the car all the time. And I have decided it would be a small car (hatchback). Hi everybody this is my first post here so apologies in advance if offended.
First let me list out to you the cars I researched upon and test drove:
Fiat Punto – Emotion - Petrol & Diesel
Nissan Micra - XE
Volkswagen Polo – Trendline - Petrol & Diesel
Maruti Swift – Vdi and VXi
Maruti Ritz - VDi
Chevy Beat – LT option
Hyundai i20 - Petrol & Diesel
Ford Figo – Titanium - Petrol & Diesel
Now let me answer a few questions I think you guys may have in mind:
What would you use your car for?
Well the first thing would be commuting daily from home to work and back (which easily comes upto 40 kms), shopping, inter-city travel, Long drives on the weekend (the drive tends to get so long that I end up at either Mysore or Coorg very often). On a serious note I travel a minimum of 60-70 kms each day and double on the weekends. So I am more interested to go for a diesel vehicle but if not then a decent petrol variant would be just fine.
How many people do you need to transport?
Mostly it’s just me for work, but for other adventure stuff let’s say a couple of friends , or my family of four (definitely to be considered or else ).
Who shall be driving the car?
What kind of driving do you most often do - highway or city?
Mostly it’s just the city. But I do take the Highway pretty often on the weekends.
Is fuel cost a worrying factor for you?
Yes it is actually. I would really like a good economical car with good fuel efficiency over a good maintenance period.
How much can you afford?
Well I am quite fixed with a budget of 5-6 lacs.
Top 5 priorities I need in my vehicle?
Fuel efficiency (Easy on the wallet)
Stylish Good looks (Make heads turn)
Comfortable drive (Would be spending quite a lotta time in it)
Spacious but cozy (should be able to fit in atleast 5 ppl)
Power (Vroom Vroooooom)
If you wanna know anything more just ask. Now coming to my opinions on the cars I test drove:
1. Fiat Punto - The Punto sports a compact look with some very attractive curves and lines combining to give it a “cute” look. Engine and power - 1.3 litre MultiJet Diesel engine, or a 1.4 litre petrol fuelled engine with MultiAir technology with 83 bhp. It has decent space comfortable for 4, can squeeze in a 5th one in the middle. The rear head space is ok but the rear window is more like a vent than a window (No offence Punto fans). But the Price is a major problem – I need to go for Emotion but it’s over and above my budget for a diesel car and even petrol variant. I heard that the service is really bad when it comes to Fiat. Hmmm…
2. Nissan Micra – Looks Girlie with round round thingis everywhere. And the price too is very high for that kinda phuny car. I agree the button keyless entry and button start is real treat but not at the cost what Nissan is offering especially in Bangalore with the road taxes soaring sky high. It’s a fine drive but definitely not interested.
3. Volkswagon Polo – OOH la laa… Awesome good looks. Trendy but decent design. The interior feel too is awesome but the space might be a constraint. I love the diesel variant but the petrol is not that bad too. I would like to go for the trendline variant in either of them. But the price is of concern. I really love the car but am unable to fit it in my budget especially the diesel variant. Kindly let me know how good is the petrol variant and its mileage. Will it be economical?? Cause I don’t wanna end up spending 3k-5k for fuel alone every month.
4. Maruti Swift VDi – I don’t think I need to explain much about the Swift. It’s a very popular car on the Indian roads (feel 6 out of every 10 car is a swift). I like it but its Maruti and I have had a lotta Maruti s before so I kinda want to go for something new. Outta the both (VDi and VXi) I liked the VDi more. One of the choices.
5. Ritz – Nothing different except the new design with a smacked butt! I would rather go with swift even though the latter is cheaper by 20k. Was not so impressive.
6. Chevy Beat – Hmmm.. what do I say about this. Its kinda weirdly good looking. But its nice. I loved the new peppy look with a bold Chevy logo upfront on the grille. Well I like the drive but heard a lotta complaints about its performance. But its very well priced with the top most variant (LT option with ABS
and airbags) at 5.5lac. The advantage I have here is that as my brother is a GM employee, I get a cool 55k discount. But… Its still not promising as the space is very less in the rear and also has the smallest boot in the segment. The high dash is of concern, cause I was unable see the bonnet even after seating close to the dash. 50-50.
7. Hyundai i20 – Beautiful car with awesome interiors. Smooth drive. Too many variants. Very confusing. Here too I love the diesel variant more than the petrol. But the mileage is of concern along with a hefty price tag. No other comments.
8. Ford Figo – This was the last one I approached cause I always thought of it to have looked like Ford Fusion from far. But nope.. I must say I am quite impressed about it. Nice design. Decent looking car. I was impressed with all the accessories this car has especially the Bluetooth integrated ICE. Like the new maroon dash. It would look good as I was interested in Black Titanium. The only major drawback I found was that of the rear windows (It doesn’t come down completely and on top of it No rear power windows) . I understand this is because of the design but COME ON!! This is the 21st century we NEED everything to be powered!! Coming to the test drive I felt that the petrol was a bit underpowered as I dint find it to be that powerful or rather energetic. But yes it’s quite a decent petrol engine with good mileage at the price offered. But the Diesel Monster was just awesome.. 1.4 DuraTorq (borrwed from its elder bor the Fiesta) is an absolute killer. I am totally in for it!!
Ok after going for the test drives of the cars specified above I have shortlisted the following by preference:
1. Ford Figo Diesel – Zxi or Titanium – 6.20 – 6.45 lacs
2. Volkswagon Polo – Trendline Petrol – 6 lacs
3. Swift VDi – 6.32 lacs
4. Swift Vxi – 5.45 lacs
5. Ford Figo Petrol – Zxi or Titanium – 4.98 lacs
6. Fiat Punto Petrol - Emotion – around 6 lacs
I am more towards Figo Diesel or Swift VDi. Let me know your views.
– Apart from the above cars I also have few more on mind which are due to be launched soon – Ford Fiesta (Hatchback), Toyota Etios (Hatchback), Suzuki Cervo (I know it’s a very small car but still… looks gud), Chevy Beat Diesel (1 litre), Revamped Chevy U-VA (looks supercool), Toyota Yaris, Volkwagon Up…. And the list goes on. Phew! I guess these are enough to add on to the confusion as my options increase.