New C2 Sedan Advice For First Time Car Buyer

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,
A very good evening to all members. This will be my first car purchase in my life. I had small stints of driving my father in law's/father's car. So I am still a learner and my driving is rusty in nature. Monthly consumption is ~1300 with ~50% in Bangalore city. # of folks in the car will be mostly 2 including me. Following are my requirements in the order of priority for a C2 segment sedan (No SUVs or hatchbacks) within a budget of 10-13 lakhs

1. Fun and delightful to drive
2. Safety and comfort for typical occupants of 2
3. Long term durability and reliability
4. Fuel consumption and resale value
5. Gadgetry / extra non-car features

After going through many reviews following are my choices in order.

1. New Fiat Linea T-jet:
Like the looks.
Safety features and
Fun and addictive to drive with excellent handling
5 years warranty and hence I guess it is going to more reliable
Priced reasonably with discounts

2. New Ford Fiesta
Like the looks
Diesel economy
Lots of premium features
Priced reasonably

3. Skoda Rapid DSG
DSG is mouth watering. Don't like the looks of Vento twin
Additional stuff like ESP, break assist, projector headlamps

4. Honda City ivtec
Best seller and supposedly reliable eventhough only 40K or 2 year warranty
Excellent city ride
Lots of cabin space
Lots of additional features and intutive controls

Would humbly request your inputs on my choices according to my requirements and suggest if anything else I can consider ?

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: New C2 sedan advice for a first time buyer

Hello Sateesh, Since you have researched on possible choices of the segment. I would like to add 2 more contenders to the list

1) Hyundai Verna 4S

* Fuss free ownership

* Feature loaded

* Backed by reputed brand

* Interior fit and finish is also good.

* AT will be helpful in city driving.

2) Maruti CIAZ

* You can have top end model in your budget

* Rear seating is good.

* Wide After-sales network and Maruti's badge value.

* Features are good

* The look of the car is decent and stance looks decent too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Hi Akash,
Thanks for your inputs. I didnt include these 2 brands as I was skeptical about their build quality and safety. The same reason I put Honda city as my last choice. DO you think I am mistaken or the difference are negligible to consider ?
Hello Sateesh, Since you have researched on possible choices of the segment. I would like to add 2 more contenders to the list

1) Hyundai Verna 4S

* Fuss free ownership

* Feature loaded

* Backed by reputed brand

* Interior fit and finish is also good.

* AT will be helpful in city driving.

2) Maruti CIAZ

* You can have top end model in your budget

* Rear seating is good.

* Wide After-sales network and Maruti's badge value.

* Features are good

* The look of the car is decent and stance looks decent too.

Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Sateesh, build quality wise, Maruti, Hyundai, Honda (sedans) are all equal. What matters is which one gives you more VFM since both of the brands i.e Maruti and Hyundai are reliable. Price wise, Hyundai Verna is expensive than Ciaz but the top end model of Verna has more features than even the CIAZ.

Regards

Akash

@ssateesh, going by your requirements,

1)Fun and delightful to drive - Linea T-Jet
2. Safety and comfort for typical occupants of 2 - Linea T-Jet has excellent comfort for 4 adults
3. Long term durability and reliability - Linea T-Jet- durable as hell, no rattles whatsoever (I own one), and zero part replacement in 27000km so far
4. Fuel consumption and resale value- depends on how you drive really, but since it is a lower priority over fun-to-drive, there should be no problem. But here, City and Ciaz will do better. And almost all cars have more resale value than Fiat Linea.
5. Gadgetry / extra non-car features - Almost all cars are equal.

Last edited:

Since you can opt for a Diesel variant, I would say
- FIAT MJD [Best for HIGHWAY rides]
- Ford Fiesta [One of the best car to drive in CITY/HIGHWAY]
- VW Vento [Best for HIGHWAY rides ]
- Skoda Fabia DSG [Good for CITY & HIGHWAY rides]
- MS CIAZ [Best for HIGHWAY rides, not suitable for CITY as biggest car in this list]
- Honda CITY I-dtec [Good for CITY and HIGHWAY]

If you ask me the Ford FIESTA is the best choice.

Note: Whichever car you buy is your choice, but TOP end should be the preference to get maximum safety.

1300kms monthly is not good enough to go for Diesel IMO. But If you feel it will never go up, go for Petrol. So for petrol, I suggest the below. (Neutral A.S.S means Depends on Service Center and personal links.)

1.City IVTEC - One of the best revv-happy petrol engine I have driven so far. A.S.S is cheap and good as well.
2.Verna 1.4/1.6 - Enough punch to satisfy you in city as well as highway. A.S.S is cheap and good as well.
3.Vento TSI - Once again enthusiast engine. A.S.S is neutral but pricey.
4.Ford Fiesta - Best handling car, petrol engine is punchy and ride quality is excellent. A.S.S is getting better and prices are not cheap, but not exorbitant too.

If you feel, it may increase, say 1500-2000km per month, then for Diesel I suggest.

1.Verna - Excellent CRDi engine suits for city as well as highway, Best in class interiors, NVH, mileage and better A.S.S. Ride is decent.
2.City - Although iDTEC in noisy, it got punch for highway. Best in class mileage and ride quality. Interior is nothing to be praised of. A.S.S is good.
3.Linea - Ride quality is unmatched, tank like built. Mileage is decent. A.S.S is neutral.
4.Vento - Noisy, powerful engine. Good mileage. Build is next to Linea. Interior is neither top-notch nor bad.
5.Ciaz - Dull, eagerless engine, excellent mileage, great space. loaded with features. A.S.S is good and cheap of the lot.

All these suggestions were made by keeping that fact OP is learner, and new to cars. IMO, For first timer, peaceful ownership is first priority and suggestions were ordered based on A.S.S/Service/Spare cost.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
4.Ford Fiesta - Best handling car, petrol engine is punchy and ride quality is excellent. A.S.S is getting better and prices are not cheap, but not exorbitant too.
Thanks.
The new Fiesta doesn't have petrol right ? Any reason Linea doesn't figure in your petrol choices ?

Thanks.
The new Fiesta doesn't have petrol right ? Any reason Linea doesn't figure in your petrol choices ?
Fiesta Petrol

I never did TD of new Fiesta, but the older one always excited me. Since facelift is nothing but few cosmetic makeovers, I suggested it.

Regarding Linea, I never TD petrol version, so I can't comment on that. But by going with it's Diesel performance, I guess performance should be good too.

To make things clear, all the cars I have suggested were TD'ed by me and driven on various occasions for brief period. So I am suggesting those here.

EDIT : It looks like Petrol Fiesta is discontinued. What a bummer. I loved it as much as City IVTEC. Now we have one more option ticked out from list.

Last edited:
@ ssateesh

As an owner of the old Dolphin Honda City, I am biased towards the City. I have had trouble free ownership and my service centre is always a pleasant experience.
The new City ground clearance has been increased and that takes care of the constant complaint most city owners had with regard to climbing over speed breakers - which in my city are like mini hills.
Based on my ownership of the city, I know I will stick to the Honda family for my next vehicle too.
I am not qualified to comment on other cars as my experience is limited.

I will suggest the City for its ease of ownership and trouble free servicing.
A test drive will help you narrow down your choices.

Cheers

Honda City or Hyundai Verna will be the choice for you.
According to your budget check with different variants of these models.
Compare that and choose.
Verna- More powerful,loaded with accesories....But poor in Handling and fuel economy
City- Moderate handling,Moderate power,Only one in this segment with Sunroof.

I feel a whole new Verna may come with in 2 years.Current Verna 4S is a stop gap to boost sale. Similar to Verna transform came before fluidic Verna or igen i20 before elite i20. So better go for Honda City. Excellent car to look at and drive.

Top Bottom