Tata Safari Storme vs Hyundai Verna 4S

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys

I am based in SG for last 7+ years and planning to move back to Delhi later this year and contemplating a tough decision. Appreciate if you can help. Requirements are

> Budget: (Rs.12 - 13 Lakh)

> New (New Car)

> Location: (Delhi / NCR)

> Top Five Priorities: (Road presence, Low Maintenance, comfort, ability to handle rural roads, easy to drive in city)

> Monthly Running: (Between 1,500 – 2000 Kms)

> Type of Fuel: (Diesel)

> For What Purpose: ( Regular Use, daily use)

> Seating Capacity: (Maximum 5 Adults)

> Type of Segment: (Confused)

Having driven a friends Safari over long distance and looking at Indian traffic & road conditions, Safari Storme comes as natural choice but maintenance & running cost of Verna lures me.

Would there be significant difference in Maintenance & running cost of the two ? If so... By how much ? Safari has advantage of inexpensive spares. On the other hand, I suspect cost of minor dents / repairs will cost a lot for Verna...

Please help make me a decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Safari Storme vs Verna 4s

Hello Rohit, I am toying between Ciaz and Verna 4S. In your case, as you know both cars are from different segments and secondly one is a Indian brand and other is an international one so price difference is bound to be there. I am informed by a friend, that service of Hyundai is bit costly in terms of labor charge. Secondly, Safari would serve purpose of off-road drives if one intends which can't be done in Verna. The rear suspension of Verna has though been worked upon but still not fully corrected and still the softness in it persists. However, Hyundai has a great reputation when it comes to interior fit and finish and TATA on the other hand has "Just OK" type of interior in SUV like Safari. If you can wait for sometime, a refreshed Safari Storme is coming soon.

Regards

Akash

Looking at your requirements, the Storme seems to be the better bet. Though Hyundai will be more reliable, I think the TATA will offset that by having cheaper spares and lower service costs.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for your responses Gents. Here is what I think.. please let me know if my interpretation is correct and point out if I am missing something:

Storme +ve's:
1. Road presence & driving position helps stress free driving (big priority for me)
2. Bull Bars in front & rear & strong build quality will help avoid minor dents / scratches which are unavoidable in Delhi NCR (saving on expenses therefore).

Storme -ve's:
1. Niggling issues - I can live with that
2. No gadgets - I can live with that.
3. Mileage - this is big question and perhaps decisive one. I cannot live with FE of 7-8. Need at least 12-12.5 in city and 14-15 on highway. I am naturally a very sedate driver BTW.

Verna 4S +ve's:
1. Mileage: Its a no brainier.
2. Peace of mind: No niggles.

Verna 4S -ve's:
1. Expect unwanted maintenance from minor dents / scratches - coupled with expensive spares and expensive Hyundai labor cost.
2. Not able to handle rural roads / broken tarmac (relatively).
3. After spending 12 Lakh, I don't want to keep sitting in a low slung sedan and worry constantly of people hitting my mirrors / body which will cost a bomb to repair.

Heart says Storme and mind says Verna 4S. However, I am comparing TCO as final decisive factor. Hope to get some suggestions from you guys.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
How much do you think replacing a verna's bumper will cost ?
As bumper is the most prone to scratches. Front bumper cost a mere 1200 bucks (without paint) 3000-3500 for paint and maybe 500-800rs as fitting charges. And i think most of the cars will have similar charges.

Anywyas if you decide to go for the storme , i'll say wait for the update. You can then have a choice between the new and the old and the old will be available for lesser price.

4s might be a little bit costly , i told you for the older model withoht taxes.

Last edited:
Agree with "allhyundiacars", If you are going for storme better wait for some time. As already Safari Storme facelift is in news. It has Landrover Hexagonal grills and few cosmetic tweaks.

Verna is a class apart, good for city drive and office going people.

Whereas Safari has it is own standard, it can be used in City and Villages both, its Off-Road capabilities make it much superior.

Few links
Tata Safari Storme facelift to launch in a couple of weeks

Tata Safari Storme Facelift Spied with Varicor 400 Badging; Expected Launch, Features [PHOTOS]

Its easier to pay for FUEL rather then paying for parts (BUMPER), So don't care about Mileage. Also see your usage and decide accordingly!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses Gents. Here is what I think.. please let me know if my interpretation is correct and point out if I am missing something:

Storme +ve's:
1. Road presence & driving position helps stress free driving (big priority for me)
2. Bull Bars in front & rear & strong build quality will help avoid minor dents / scratches which are unavoidable in Delhi NCR (saving on expenses therefore). Bull bars also kill. Bull bars prevent the crumple zones from crumpling and thereby prevent the airbags to deploy and thereby in a major accident ( god forbid ) the airbags shall not deploy and the person in the vehicle will die. I don't mean to scare you but this is the reality my friend. Bull bars will also injure a person severely if he or she if by mistake is hit by your car.
One answer in bold, you are comparing two different segments my friend. The Storme holds an advantage over Verna in -
GC
off-road capabilities
4x4

Verna is better in-
Looks
features
quality
smoothness
refinement
safety features.

Though both cars have negatives but the Verna turns out to be a better option the Storme in many ways if you don't do offroading. If you do some mild offroading and think that an SUV with higher GC can handle it then do try the XUV. A simply VFM proposition and beats the Safari in many prospects. If you can spend more and still want a 4x4 then try the Duster AWD. It can offroading sufficiently and is quite good. Feel free to ask any detail anytime.

Regards.

Last edited:
@Rohit:
Going by requirements, an SUV is the need of the hour.

I'd suggest you to either wait for Storme update but be aware that even Tata may not be knowing when they are gonna launch it - they are like that only, making things late and late and most of the times they launch the update when its outdated.
For your budget and requirements, my suggestion will be new Scorpio. It beats Storme hands on in three key areas of performance, fuel efficiency and after sales service and will fit quite well in your budget too. Before you go for storme, I'd suggest you to at least give a close look at the Scorpio too. It has decent comfort for 5, has aalot of gadgets, offers good all round visibility, has got good interior, a nice steering with good feel and costs 1.5 lac lower than storme; things really can't get better for the money you pay.

@Carloverjosh:
The Storme that comes for 12-13 las doesn't come equipped with airbags.

Last edited:

Top Bottom