Used Hatchback For Elderly. Budget Rs.3 - 4 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Hello Automotive folks!

We're planning to buy our first car in the family, Ever since my dad has retired , he has two things on his mind, a family vacation abroad (incomplete) and a car (incomplete). Initially he wanted to book a brand new vehicle from maruti/hyundai stable (Swift zxi, Alto 800 vxi,elite i20 sportz 1.2) but i've convinced him to buy a used vehicle so we could upgrade later in 3-4years. None except my dad in the family like Alto 800. So it was ruled out!

Since we're buying a used vehicle i would like to have additional inputs from you guys( Like precaution to be taken when buying used automobiles) . The car will be driven primarily by my father until i man up(<18Yo) , LoL

Budget - 3-4 Lacs

Brand preference - Maruti since we have service center in our locality.
Car condition - Used

Location - Distt Amritsar, Punjab

Priorities - ( Low maintenance costs, safety , comfort for elderly ( my dad is already talking about changing seats! , he likes seats in swift dzire )

Yearly running - <6000kms

Type of fuel - Petrol for low maintenance reasons!

Seating - 2 - 5 occasionally

Model year - 2012-2014 ( swift new shape, i20 idk)

Purpose - Highway commute 80% , city 20% maybe even less.

Design - My dad's heart is set on swift, everyone in our family likes that long nose!

Out of state purchase - my dad wants a pb number but let me know if transferring a haryana, CHD no. is easy or troublesome job?

Remarks - I was researching online for used cars via OLX , Quikr classifieds site. Contacted three sellers, following are details!

Swift vxi prices ( good condition)
km done - 25,000
Color - white
Price - likely to fix on 4.20 lacs

Swiff vxi - 2012
Km done - 18,000
Color - white
Price - Unlikely to move below 4.30lacs

These guys are quoting prices like 20% yoy depreciation is not applicable to their vehicles! Haven't contacted i20 owner own cause i heard petrol engine used in i20 is a little underpowered.
Help me out please!

Re: Used hatchback for elderly, Budget 3-4lakhs

your driving 80% in highway so airbags and abs are important
search for swift zxi and
honda city ivtech 2010 or 11 model with airbags are also fit exact in your budget
cinsider that too

Thread Starter #3

What would be ideal price of used swift zxi new shape?

My father's close friend has honda city, which returns very bad FE ! I don't think he'll like it !

please try the Wagon-R
it has
1. tall seats so that elderly can easily slide in without having to bend down
2. wide opening big doors, they can get in / out easily
3. spacious seats (segment)
4. no rear middle hump (comfortable for middle passenger)

Last edited:

@ chairmansaab

A few years back, my best friend's uncle was in the market for a car.
Uncle was an elderly gentleman who was never going to off road or tear up the road by zooming past every other vehicle.
My friend suggested that he think about getting an Automatic vehicle - primarily for the ease of driving in Mumbai.
But you know how it is. The cost factor / the low FE made him opt for a manual transmission.

Fast forward to a year later, and Uncle now accepts that he should have taken my friend's advise and gone in for an Automatic.

Since you are looking for a used car for an elderly gentleman, i would suggest you do not rule out Automatics in the used car segment.

Thanks.

Since you are more leaned towards MS then 3 choice left with you

- SWIFT
- RITZ
-WAGON R

These 3 model have huge sales figure in market. So the used optioned also increases.
I would suggest to go for RITZ top variant. As at this price you will get a really good RITZ Zxi.

Checkout used Ritz Zxi. ritz is the ideal vehicle for elder people. Swift rear seat is not comfy and not easy to get in and out of Swift rear seat for elders. wagon R is another option.

I suggest Honda Jazz, Polo Petrol, i20 Petrol.

Going by current market trend,you can get good deal out of these. One of my friend sold his 2012 Polo Highline Petrol for ~2.8L, which was in immaculate condition. So I guess you can window shop for a bit before looking at MS stable. And if you insist on MS, try not to get beaten up Swift/Ritz. Have a thorough TD, check top to bottom and get it from Maruthi authorized dealer.

I suggest Honda Jazz, Polo Petrol, i20 Petrol.

Going by current market trend,you can get good deal out of these. One of my friend sold his 2012 Polo Highline Petrol for ~2.8L, which was in immaculate condition. So I guess you can window shop for a bit before looking at MS stable. And if you insist on MS, try not to get beaten up Swift/Ritz. Have a thorough TD, check top to bottom and get it from Maruthi authorized dealer.
I am really unhappy to hear the price of Polo.What made him do that ?
Coming back to the topic maruti authorized dealer for second hand car or True value is a big gimmick.Don't get carried away by that.Check in your residence area or friends circle,if there is any cars for sale.That way you may get a good car at a good price.The same car when sold by maruti will be X+(Z) price. Best option is Ritz or Wagon R.Anyway, since you are going for a second hand machine, make a good mechanic your good friend [:D]

I am really unhappy to hear the price of Polo.What made him do that ?
It was around Aug' 2014. Initially he priced it close to 3.5L, but even after month no takers for that. I guess refreshed Polo launch was around the corner, and that also hampered the prize down a bit. But after a couple of months of no buyer, he was frustrated and sold it to close friend of him for that price. Good part was, car clocked only 27k kms that time. But face it, Petrol will never fetch good resale unless in some rare cases.

I would suggest i10 automatic or celerio AMT for old boys for ease of ride and comfort. i10 got a 4 pot engine and celerio has 3 pot engine, likewise, i10 also costs more.

Thread Starter #14
Thanks for input guys,

My father seems to be aware of troublesome and time consuming process of buying out of state vehicles hence not very keen on going for it! There are very good deals on HR ,DL vehicles.

Anyway, we want a proper hatchback which can seat 3 at back , even though rear bench will be occasionally utilized, it is still a requirement. A tall boy design is a big no no! My father is fine with manual gearbox, i think it's not needed for highway runs where car will be mostly used.

Rumours : My father told me someone gonna open a service center for Hyundai cars near our house (<2km) in few months. This lead him to open towards hyundai, we're also considering i20 now!

Furthermore, we've requested several people to lookout for used swift and i20. Especially to cousin of mine who deals in used cars. This will help in speeding up used car research. My father's good old friend is a mechanic, also an advisor. He is likely to with us to inspect the car.

what about polo , honda jazz ?
I've never sat in these two cars! what about the maintenance cost of polo and jazz? Polo being German sure sounds expensive to maintain. Jazz is no longer in production so what about it's parts availability? Service center is another issue.

As of now, swift and i20 I-gen are on my radar. So here are few questions about them!

How expensive Hyundai A. S. S will be compared to Maruti on Yearly basis?
Which has more reliable petrol engine?
Mileage difference on highway?
Which i20 variant i should be looking for which comes within my budget?

Is there anything i'm missing which i should be asking when buying a used vehicle?

Regards
-ChairmanSaab

If rear seat is one of your priority, forget Polo. It has the worst rear space in the segment. Jazz is an good option, if you can get good deal in used car market. i20 has the best in segment rear space. So Jazz/i20 is your best bet. Since you mentioned you are looking for used too, if possible, get an older gen i20 Petrol top end, which comes with 6 air-bags, all discs, DRLs etc. You can get it at good price.

Swift is big no-no, as rear seat is cramped and accommodating 3 will be a terrible, and you should not do it even for your enemy.

As of now, swift and i20 I-gen are on my radar. So here are few questions about them!

1/How expensive Hyundai A. S. S will be compared to Maruti on Yearly basis?
2.Which has more reliable petrol engine?
3.Mileage difference on highway?
4.Which i20 variant i should be looking for which comes within my budget?

Is there anything i'm missing which i should be asking when buying a used vehicle?

Regards
-ChairmanSaab
1. Not much of difference. Difference becomes less day by day. Infact we used to get huge bills for Santro, but now, for my Xcent I am getting paltry amount as bills.
2. Both of them are proven and very reliable engine.
3. Depends, but in general Petrol will not get you anything more than 17-18 on a good day. That if you drive carefully and not with heavy foot.
4. For your budget you can get used i20 Asta(if you get 2010, in that case Asta(O)).Swift you can easily get ZXi for that price. Try to haggle as much as you wish, because petrol cars these days won't sell as much as diesel do, if they price it like their diesel counterpart. As I mentioned, my friend sold his Polo Petrol Highline for less than 3L, which was 2011 Model. So guess what kinda deal you can get if you have time and patience.

Top Bottom