Planning To Buy a Jeep MM540 or Willys and Modify

Thread Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am Prabhu from Coimbatore. I am a new joiner to the forum today. I have been doing research on Jeeps for past one month and now I am ready to go out and buy Jeep.

Purpose:

I am not going to be an offroader, its just for my hobby and go on raod and long drives. So power steering and power break is must.

Does anyone in coimbatore can guide the workshop to do this, Others please guide me the important aspects that I should be looking into.

Regards,
Prabhu

Re: Plan to buy a Jeep MM540 or Willys and modify it.

If its not for offroading why even a jeep ?
an old MM550 or MM540 is probably the most uncomfortable for long drives.(Off-roading is an altogether different ball game)

Just trying to understand your perspective better. What i read is you are looking to build something as a hobby which you intend to use for long drives and not really offroading ?

Thread Starter #3
Just trying to understand your perspective better. What i read is you are looking to build something as a hobby which you intend to use for long drives and not really offroading ?
Thats right

I just want it to use it onroad with big tyres and fancy modifications? No offroad plans as of now

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Plan to buy a Jeep MM540 or Willys and modify it.

so basically you want a jeep thats all show ?

Do you really want to use it for long drives - i hope you also realise old jeeps with leaf springs arent really suited for long distance comfort touring , though there are people i know who dont care a dime for comfort but just follow their passion.

Thread Starter #5
Yes iron rock. Just for show. I am visiting to see at least 5 jeeps today. I am seeing MM550 also. The dealer will show me Willys and few MM540s. I will have to buy the jeep and alter it for on road with power steering, power brake and 31" tyres.

Follow your passion, but i do have to alert you for long drives these will not be comfortable at all.
Let us know what you get at a minimum go for the BA10 gearbox version (5 speed ) - else you are dead in the highway with the KMT90 (4speed). As your needs are 2WD only this is essential. MM550 NGCS is a better choice. Though if i were you and budget permitting Ill buy a 2WD Thar DI or CRDE.

very well said IR. an open jeep for long rides that too in india is something i don't understand. however its ones passion. even i would suggest a THAR DI as its more mechanical less electronics.jeeps are purely bought coz its more Mechanical. else you can also go for gypsy and modify it. else you can go for TATA SIERRA or else Bolero's are equally good and can withstand the abuse.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks guys. Could you let me know if MM550 came in 2 wheel drive ever? I visited a seller with a mechanic to see MM550. Mechanic firmly said that it was not a MM5550, he claims that MM 550 never came in 2 wheel drive. It has always been 4X4. If I post the picture can you tell me if it is MM 550 or 540?

Thread Starter #10
I saw that thread already. It says MM 550 never came with a 2X4 drive. But the vehicle I saw yesterday, they said that the vehicle was MM550 but 2X4 drive. Can someone who has knowledge on MM550 can help me here?

I saw that thread already. It says MM 550 never came with a 2X4 drive. But the vehicle I saw yesterday, they said that the vehicle was MM550 but 2X4 drive. Can someone who has knowledge on MM550 can help me here?
MM540 had the Peugeot 2.1L XDP engine and the 550 had the 2.5L XD3P engine. Both came in 2wd and 4wd variants, however the 550 supplied to the Army had an oil cooler and produced about 7 more bhp.

Thats right

I just want it to use it onroad with big tyres and fancy modifications? No offroad plans as of now
From your requirements, you clearly need a Dabwali modded jeep, with PS, all bling, no 4x4.

these should not cost you more, with lots of options thrown in.

regards

vinod

Top Bottom