Tata Safari Storme or Mahindra XUV500?

Thread Starter #1
Legends,
Heart says Safari
Mind says XUV

Shortlisted below 2 variants:
Safari LX - because it is always a heart's buy.
XUV W4- probably a good peace of mind. with less visits to after sales service stations.

Pros/Cons already discussed in this forum and others, TD reviews are plenty on net.

but, when i drove Storme VX for TD, i felt lots of steering and gear vibration, while that was not present in XUV.
Is it because safari was a Test vehicle and may be not maintained properly?
Because, after TD when i drove my Sunny, it was butter smooth feeling with no vibes to arms.

When checked in AADYA motors, sales guy said, new facelift for storme is on the corner. if that is so, anyone have idea when?
Is it worth waiting? I saw snoop pics on google.

Pls advise, Heart is right or brain [drive]

Also, if Safari, then shall i go to concorde motors or can trust other dealers also in bangalore.

Re: Storme or XUV

Aadhya motors is good. I've also been there sometime last year end for a test drive. Looking to buy one sometime, but waiting for the refresh. What offer did you get? Also I think you should consider the Ex. Mid row a/c is essential.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Storme or XUV

Aadhya motors is good. I've also been there sometime last year end for a test drive. Looking to buy one sometime, but waiting for the refresh. What offer did you get? Also I think you should consider the Ex. Mid row a/c is essential.
Since it was Sunday, so there was not enough staff to deal with, they simply gave printed quotation of close to 13L for Storme Lx and TD.
Regarding offers, he said, respective sales guy will get in touch. i was reading thread on t-BHP, on dampers being replaced in every 15000 kms, because shocks gets oil leakage, may be in face-lift version, tata heard this problem and rectified.

As far as I heard, Tata is going to revamp safari storm by redesigning it completely (even a single bolt and nut) but not sure when it will happen. If they do a facelift it may be a bare minimal change like earlier (safari dicor ->Storme).
I too test driven storme when i was looking to buy car a year before and landed purchasing XUV.
In my thoughts, the following points may help you deciding it,
1. You like Storme design, stretched body, higher seating posture - go for Storm
2. You want a smooth ride, with less body roll (xuv suspension is good compared to storm) - go for XUV
3. You want premium interior look, (storm has age old interiors), comfortable seats, less vibration , good sound insulation - go for XUV (atleast W6)

In general, I compared XUV W6 with Storme during my new car lookout time.
XUV - For premium feel, powerful, comfortable ride, safety features
Storme - Road presence, Road presence and Road presence alone.
In case if you choose to go for XUV, please increase your budget a little and buy W6. It is really worth the money.

Just wanted to updated one thing,
"XUV W4- probably a good peace of mind. with less visits to after sales service stations."
I never felt any issues regarding the features of XUV (I own a W8), it is one year old + 14,500Kms done.
If you see year old niggle thread, actually some of the issues reported where due to incorrect understanding about how the system works + some of them actually not went through user manual. This is with respect to my opinion.

2. You want a smooth ride, with less body roll (xuv suspension is good compared to storm) - go for XUV
I will differ in this aspect, ride quality wise, Storme is class leading, way better than XUV. The double wishbone setup in Storme is much better than the XUV one, the dampening in XUV is no match to Storme really.
Body roll wise XUV is way better , it being a monocoque.

Thread Starter #6
I will differ in this aspect, ride quality wise, Storme is class leading, way better than XUV. The double wishbone setup in Storme is much better than the XUV one, the dampening in XUV is no match to Storme really.
Yes, also the outer visibility from cabin is more in storme than XUV.
Both vehicles has its own niggles discussed in other threads on other sites.

Yes, also the outer visibility from cabin is more in storme than XUV.
Both vehicles has its own niggles discussed in other threads on other sites.
You didnt mention your usage and purpose - i can help further. If you are looking for abuse friendliness i would throw in the new Scorpio too in the list.

It will take abuse better than XUV and Storme put together.[;)]

Thread Starter #8
You didnt mention your usage and purpose - i can help further. If you are looking for abuse friendliness i would throw in the new Scorpio too in the list.

It will take abuse better than XUV and Storme put together.[;)]
There is no particular purpose. Just for office purpose and weekend trips and highway trips once in 3 months approx. No off-roading at all.

When my dad bought Maruti 800 - i said let's buy Safari
when I bought Alto 800 on my soul-mate saying - i said let's buy Safari
when i upgraded to Sedan (Nissan XL D) - i said let's buy Safari
But no soul in family agreed [lol]

So now, its been 3+ yrs for sunny, so asked my wifi again to atleast do a TD with me on Safari.
She agreed and impressed with looks and ride quality. - i said let's buy Safari

XUV and Scorpio, she said no, coz she says go with your heart, else again you will say - let's buy Safari [frustration]

But still i just want to take expert advice on this forum before making any decision.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Buy the Storme - you always wanted it, period! I would say wait for the facelift version though!
Right thats what i am thinking to wait for facelift.
Thanks for being with me on same page. [clap]

Don't know, there is always a "that" feeling when I see Safari. Still couldn't get to know about "that" thing. [confused]

I felt the ride comfortable in XUV compared to storme driving in uneven roads.
i felt some rattling noise as well in storme. And yes body roll is less in XUV compared to storme due to its monocoque body.

Thread Starter #13
I felt the ride comfortable in XUV compared to storme driving in uneven roads.
i felt some rattling noise as well in storme. And yes body roll is less in XUV compared to storme due to its monocoque body.
Yes true, in TD of storme, i felt lot of gear and steering vibrations.
But, will those china made gizmos last long in XUV?
no hard feeling of opposition, just a thought.

There is no particular purpose. Just for office purpose and weekend trips and highway trips once in 3 months approx. No off-roading at all.

When my dad bought Maruti 800 - i said let's buy Safari
when I bought Alto 800 on my soul-mate saying - i said let's buy Safari
when i upgraded to Sedan (Nissan XL D) - i said let's buy Safari
But no soul in family agreed

So now, its been 3+ yrs for sunny, so asked my wifi again to atleast do a TD with me on Safari.
She agreed and impressed with looks and ride quality. - i said let's buy Safari

XUV and Scorpio, she said no, coz she says go with your heart, else again you will say - let's buy Safari [frustration]

But still i just want to take expert advice on this forum before making any decision.
As your heart says Safari, if you are able to convince your family, you will definitely end up buying safari only [:D]
Even if you buy an other car, your head will always turn when you see a safari on road. Better take a test drive of all cars in your list, in between do frequent test drive of safari as well and if you are able to convince yourself on areas where safari is lagging, then you are done..
If you are not convinced or you couldn't convince your family members then you need to think about other car[:D]

Yes true, in TD of storme, i felt lot of gear and steering vibrations.
But, will those china made gizmos last long in XUV?
no hard feeling of opposition, just a thought.
I have seen XUVs which has done 60K kms in service center, with same amount of engine noise and no rattles inside. Surprised to see even new honda city got complaints on dashboard rattling. Every new fortuner has got vibrating (dancing) gear levers and poor sound insulation. That way i feel XUV is value for money. Those gizmos features works well for me + heard no issues from long term XUV owners as well (i always mean 2013/later manufactured XUVs).
In terms of safety, majority of features like Disc brake, ABS, EBD, Hill hold/descent control, especially ESP are directly from Bosch. There is an instance even i experienced ESP getting engaged in one of my highway drive.
I understand during long term there may be some problems due to wear n tear and that too with sensors, that is applicable even for a speed sensing sensor used for airbag deployment of any car.

Last edited:

Top Bottom