Help Buying My First Car. Budget: Rs.4 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy a new car. This will be my first car.Budget is around 4 L.

Requirements:
1) decent fuel economy
2 )Decent space for 4 adults (2 elderly ones at back)
3) reasonable maintenance
4) Reasonable boot space
5) Decent resale value.
6)Having ABS and airbags for safety.

Please suggest what other factors should I look while buying a new car.
I will be using the car sometimes in weekdays and in weekends.
sometimes would go t highways in weekends for some weekend trips,say once in a month. other than that it will be driven in city.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Anindya

Re: New car suggestion

Decent FE, reasonable maintenance, good resale are always Maruti trademarks, so you can look at WagonR, Celerio. Apart from then Hyundai Eon, i10 can also be had. But it'll be difficult to het ABS & Airbags around 4 lakhs. Datsun Go is also a very good option you can look at.

Thread Starter #4

by 5 lakh will it be the on road price for wagon r?and what other factors should I look while buying a new car?

Well looks like the Ex-showroom of the WagonR Vxi ABS in Kolkata is 4.79L..dealer handling charges and the LBT in Kolkata will hurt a bit and with 0 dep Insurance and Registration can make things go upto 5.75L but I guess there is a discount in tunes of 20-25k on wagonR ,further financial year end and corporate discounts could pour in and plus there might be more than one dealers around you so if you bargain well you might get it on road for 5.25-5.50 L (This is my calculation and this might be wrong since I don't know the exact road tax/LBT structure of west bengal)

The new vehicle must always be looked as per one's own requirement. a must feature/factor for someone might be redundant or absolutely useless for other...this said,everyone will tell you to get the safety features in the car and you already have them in your list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6

In 5.5 will my requirements fit in i10?or maybe some other huyndai car?just trying to see all my options..

@ anindya82

Being your first car, i would suggest Maruti vehicles.
The main reason being that they have a vast network of service centres all over our country and should keep you at peace - mentally - with regard to after sales service.
Maruti vehicles are also very easy to maintain.

I would also suggest that you be ready to stretch your budget if required. because of the number of options available in the budget you have specified, you may sometimes find a better vehicle in a slightly higher budget.

Finally go in for a vehicle with all safety features. you will not want to compromise of your or your family safety.

Drive safe.

Thread Starter #8
plz suggest in what regards you are telling me to increase my budget?like for what features/cars?I have already increased it to 5.are you telling to increase it more?

is also amt at 5 or celerio amt at 5.7 a good option to look for?Please suggest

@ Anindya
my only reasoning with regard to being open to a higher budget was so that you could make an informed decision about your vehicle purchase.

For want of a few thousand rupees, I would not like you to be stuck with a purchase and feel at a later date that you should have opted for x or y feature. Most of us will use our vehicle for at least 3 to 5 years before we upgrade. Buying a loaded and better vehicle will allow us to defer our upgradation time.

In 5.5 will my requirements fit in i10?or maybe some other huyndai car?just trying to see all my options..
Yes all but the safety features in i10..even grand i10 with safety features is way above 6 lakhs

is also amt at 5 or celerio amt at 5.7 a good option to look for?Please suggest
If you are interested in AMT I will suggest you to wait for Maruti to launch it in wagonR/Stingray since 1)I personally found WagonR a better buy than Celerio 2)The safety features aren't available with AMT in Celerio

PS: I would also like to tell you another factor for suggesting Maruti over Hyundai..Maruti Suzuki petrols beat Hyundai petrols on mileage front,though the overall fit finish and feature levels will be better in Hyundai cars

Noise level interior comfort and smoothness in drive you can go for hyundai cars like eon i10
Mileage accesible ass decent resale value you can go for maruti cars like alto celerio etc

Thread Starter #12
Yes all but the safety features in i10..even grand i10 with safety features is way above 6 lakhs

If you are interested in AMT I will suggest you to wait for Maruti to launch it in wagonR/Stingray since 1)I personally found WagonR a better buy than Celerio 2)The safety features aren't available with AMT in Celerio

PS: I would also like to tell you another factor for suggesting Maruti over Hyundai..Maruti Suzuki petrols beat Hyundai petrols on mileage front,though the overall fit finish and feature levels will be better in Hyundai cars
I was interested in wagon r stingray amt but have not found any confirmed date for its release..any idea when its going to be released?

I was interested in wagon r stingray amt but have not found any confirmed date for its release..any idea when its going to be released?
Sorry,I don't have any substantial idea about the release..if you are in a hurry to get the new car I suggest you to have TD of the Celerio AMT (as well as manual). infact you shall make a list of all the cars you are considering under your budget and have a TD of each of them.

Add On suggestion : Do have a look at Maruti Ritz VXI ABS (5.30L ex showroom in Kolkata with high discounts running on Ritz). this will get you same engine as well as better build than Swift.

Thread Starter #14
I am actually a bit confused whether to go for amt or manual..can you or someone guide me?

ok..will take a look into swift..
I am a bit confused also whether to go for amt or manual.can you or someone else guide me on this?

ok..will take a look into swift..
I am a bit confused also whether to go for amt or manual.can you or someone else guide me on this?
Actually it will be more like a personal call..for me half of the driving pleasure rests in that gear-lever and slotting the perfect gear to get the best drive and complete control of the vehicle. take a TD and get what suits you the best.

The advantage in the Maruti AMT is that Mileage has been claimed equal to the Manual. plus recently Maruti has added a 10-year warranty on AMT transmission of Alto K10 and Celerio.

Top Bottom