Looking For Family Car within Rs.8 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to buy my first car in 2 months.
I will be using mostly for highway travel (not a very long drive) and less within city.
I will go for high end variants.
My budget is around Rs. 8 lakhs.

Please suggest some cars with provides good performance and needs little maintenance.

-Harish

Harish, firstly welcome to The Automotive India.
Share more about your requirements, what type of car you looking for and how much would be your monthly running depending choose the kind of fuel variant.
As Aakash shared you have options to choose from hatchbacks to sub 4m sedans.
You can have a look at elite i20 as well as VW polo too in premium hatchbacks.

For Highway use and comfortable travel, better to go for full size sedan.

By extending your budget little you could get Etious GD & Sunny.

CS- Zest, Amaze & dzire

You didnt mentioned your monthly running and i suggested the diesels above.

hi harishk,

Your requirements are the budget is 8,00,000/- and you travel mostly on highways so diesel is the best i will suggest you some cars

my suggestion are :

Hatchback

1.Maruti swift-ZDi- DDIS

2.Fiat Punto Evo- Emotion- MULTIJET

3.Tata Bolt- XT- QUATRAJET

4.Maruti Ritz- ZDi- DDIS

5.Ford Figo- Titanium- TDCi

regards,
ford fiesta1.6

Welcome to TAI Harish. I assume you plan to have the car for 5 to 7 years. For lot of highway driving I also assume Handling and Safety are your priority. With these, I would suggest you to look into the Punto Dynamic (Premium) 1.2L Petrol. It has two major drawbacks in "No Airbags" and "Low Sales". It is a tad bit low on features. But, that Car CAN HANDLE and is built fantastically. The car will put a broad smile in your face when you push that petrol engine. This was certified by a guy who drives a Linea T-Jet :-) So I accept this on face value. Build-wise it is at par (may be slightly better) with Polo. If a Fiat owner gives his reference, you can get 15K or so loyalty bonus. A colleague is getting it for Rs 6.75L on-road in BLR after a bit of bargaining. You can choose a higher variant. After they have set up their own Service n/w, the customers ARE experiencing a lot of difference in Service quality.

Now the major hurdle for anybody in owning is the "resale value". ONLY in India we think about burial ground before a baby is born; that's how I look at it, whenever anyone talks to me about re-bloody-sale before buying a car. Same thing goes for bloody mileage; IMHO, anyone who is willing to spend more than 5L should not think about mileage. Coming back to the point, the resale value of a Fiat product is definitely less, but owning and driving that beautiful machine compensates everything else. You get to drive a bit of a unique product (than the usual Maruti / Hyundai cars). And, is a difference of 50K going to matter after 7 wonderful years of driving ??? Good luck.

hi harishk,

Your requirements are the budget is 8,00,000/- and you travel mostly on highways so diesel is the best i will suggest you some cars

my suggestion are :

Hatchback

1.Maruti swift-ZDi- DDIS

2.Fiat Punto Evo- Emotion- MULTIJET

3.Tata Bolt- XT- QUATRAJET

4.Maruti Ritz- ZDi- DDIS

5.Ford Figo- Titanium- TDCi

regards,
ford fiesta1.6
Before finalizing a Diesel heart, please check your monthly run, and yearly run too. So that if its less than unnecessary paying for Diesel variant could be saved. Like on base price [once], insurance [every year], RTO Tax/registration [One time] and somewhat on Diesel engine spare [if in case broken].

As far as your budget is concerned you can get lot wide range to choose from Petrol Head HatchBack/Sedan/MPVs. But if you choose a Diesel then many top variant may get deleted from your list. So choose wisely.

Next is the number of people travelling most of the time with you.

# 4-5 person
# 6-7 person

Depends on which you can deviate yourself or narrow down your options.

For 4-5 person there are lot of choice in Hatchback and Sedan
For 6-7 person you left with very few like MS Ertiga, Honda Brio, Chevrolet Enjoy, Mahindra Quanto.

If you are thinking for TOP variants then some car listed below.

- Hyundai i20 Elite (Asta) - Petrol
- Fiat Punto EVO - Petrol/Diesel, if budget extended a little more.
- MS Swift/Ritz ZDI
- MS Ertiga Zxi
- Chevrolet Sail - Petrol/Diesel, if budget extended a little more.
- Mahindra Quanto

My Choice MS Swift ZDi or Fiat Punto Evo

If your running is less than 12-13000 Km per year you can go for Petrol. Just see that you have ABS and Airbags as your running is mainly on highways .Check for Tata Zest, Honda Amaze,Huyndai i 20 elite,Punto etc.
I am not putting you in to Maruti Suzuki as a change is required .Don't fall in to service and resale value s**t.

Buy a car with ABS ATLEAST. I cant emphasize enough on this. It is an active safety device that can prevent accidents. Airbags come much later, as passive restraint devices.

I would love to recommend a Fiat Punto if it falls in 8 lacs and has atleast ABS. If not, then its Fiats loss. If you absolutely love the way the Punto drives and handles, then you might stretch your budget. Then the Avventura also enters the fray, which is an even more awesome car with 16in 205 tyres and 205mm ground clearance.
But if it is 8 lacs and not a paise more, look at a hatch/sedan which atleast has ABS.
Other than Fiat, I would say the Zest is also a good option. Tata cars are generally quite sturdy as well.
For prolonged highway runs, I would stay away from cars with woolly light steering , and overtly soft sprung mechanicals that would make the car quite a handful at high speeds.

My sources connected with TML say most of their car body steel is actually imported just like others !Its a matter how much used in the right place.
Tata cars especially the vista quadrajet doors are quite heavy. The kerb weight of tata cars is usually more than the competition. European cars are associated with the "thud", not sure if Tata cars can be accounted into that league.

Other than boot space , is there any improvement of ride quality and ride comfort will be there in sedan..? [ especially for those sub 4m sedans..?]

I suggest Tata Zest Petrol/Diesel depending on your running. Reason - Top end well within your budget, Airbags, ABS, DRLs, good leg room, HK HU, good handling and ride comfort, good GC. I can go on and on, but will stop here.

No other CS comes close with the overall packaging in my opinion. The only sore point is, the1.3L engine variant, where Amaze does have 1.5L in Diesel, but apart from this, Amaze is no where closer to Zest.

Top Bottom