What Car To Buy For City Use Under Rs.6 Lakh?

Thread Starter #1
Hey everyone we sold our 2006 indigo glx . Please help me in choosing the right car,booking will be made after few days.Interior plastic should be of good quality as my other car interiors are good ( design & ergonomic ) but the quality is not that great. The car will be driven sedately and mostly in city only. All we need is a vehicle that can take us from point A to B which is cheaper and easy to maintain ( A$$ should be good ) .

> Your Budget: 5.50-6 lakh

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: New Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort , fuel economy , quality interior , ride quality , need car ASAP.

> Monthly Running: 100-500

> Type of Fuel: any

> For What Purpose: Regular use
Car will be driven in congested areas, where finding a good place to park is a challenge.

> Seating Capacity: minimum 5

> Type of Segment: any

> Colour Preference : Black or Blue

> Have short listed : Punto evo ( dynamic petrol ) & i20 elite ( magna petrol ).

Re: What car should i buy ?

i20 elite would go beyond your 6L budget for on road prices.
For congested city driving try i10 grande with same engine specs as i20 but would be peppier compared to elite being smaller and light weighted.

Thread Starter #4

Family members do not want to go for another TATA product ,i know that TATA did improve their service and products but its very very hard to make family members believe that . thanks for your suggestion [:)]

i20 elite would go beyond your 6L budget for on road prices.
For congested city driving try i10 grande with same engine specs as i20 but would be peppier compared to elite being smaller and light weighted.
i20 is 36k more, some how i did not like the seating position and looks of grand i10.coming to performance like i mentioned in my earlier post i just need a car to go from point A to B driving above 100kmph will be occasional so am not concerned about that but then it should be able to climb flyover(s), will keep grand i10 in maybe list thanks for your suggestion [:)]

does punto evo dynamic comes with LED tail lamps ?

Last edited:

Your choice of i20 Elite is perfect as per your requirements projected by you except one thing. As per your query, your first need is safety and you may not be safe in Magna variant. Hence, my suggestion is to go for the Asta one.

Thread Starter #6

Your choice of i20 Elite is perfect as per your requirements projected by you except one thing. As per your query, your first need is safety and you may not be safe in Magna variant. Hence, my suggestion is to go for the Asta one.
Asta is out of budget also under 6 lac on road price only punto dynamic 1.2 have abs & ebd thats why am confused either to go for a car with abs & ebd or a car that has good quality cabin, more space & peace of mind [confused] .Thanks for you suggestion [:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Elite i20 magna and grand i10 asto(o) both costs the same. If safety is your top priority then i'll say go for the grand i10. Yes, it's small but i'd want to have safety features.

Why don't you consider polo ? Middle model will be in your budget , 20k expensive than the i20. Comes with ABS plus dual airbags. The service will be a little bit expensive but it's a really good car.

Would recommend grand i10 and the polo.

I would suggest to buy a fully featured car with safety first [ABS+Airbags]. Other features like reverse cam, chrome, alloys, A/V Din can be fitted later.

Instead of buying a lower variant for i20 Elite, go for cars like Tata Bolt, Hyundai i10 Grand.

If luggage space is not a big problem for you then BOLT is best option at this range. Bolt top end comes in around 6.5 lac approx. The 1.2L Revtron is the quickest in all of its rivals.

Family members do not want to go for another TATA product ,i know that TATA did improve their service and products but its very very hard to make family members believe that . thanks for your suggestion

i20 is 36k more, some how i did not like the seating position and looks of grand i10.coming to performance like i mentioned in my earlier post i just need a car to go from point A to B driving above 100kmph will be occasional so am not concerned about that but then it should be able to climb flyover(s), will keep grand i10 in maybe list thanks for your suggestion [:)]

does punto evo dynamic comes with LED tail lamps ?
Yes bro, all the Punto evo variants come with Led taillamp. I will suggest 1 more cars, Honda Brio. The Honda Brio top end in central delhi is for 6,00,153 rupees whilst the Grand i10 top end cost 6,02,626. Both these cars are good and have a similar engine but the brio is noticeably more punchy and has a go kart like handling. The i10 is no barge but it doesn't handle as well as the Brio, but since the car will mostly be driven in the city and won't be driven fast( if you do wanna corner then better get your Fiesta out [gun]) then the Grand i10 makes a lot of sense because it is very well equipped and looks good. The seating position might not be much to your liking but the car itself is awesome.The space is also satisfactory. Both these cars petrol engines are entertaining to drive and also deliver good fuel economy. Good luck [[thumbsup]

If luggage space is not a big problem for you then BOLT is best option at this range. Bolt top end comes in around 6.5 lac approx. The 1.2L Revtron is the quickest in all of its rivals.
Dear Mr.Amit, I have to disagree with you on one point. The bolt isn't the quickest and neither is it entertaining to drive. Its coarse sound above 5500 RPM and doesn't let a person have fun. Also the quality will never come to close hatches such was grand i10 . And believe the driving modes are extremely useless. Do reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #11
Would recommend grand i10 and the polo.
Instead of buying a lower variant for i20 Elite, go for cars like Tata Bolt, Hyundai i10 Grand.
the main problem with grand i10 is integrated headrests & the dashboard design i can live with dashboard design but the seats
Family is against TATA

My bet will be the Honda brio. Zest/Bolt will be good too.
Thanks for you suggestion buddy i went to honda dealership yesterday and came disappointed because of two reasons
1) Dull interior
2) integrated headrests

Grand i10 makes a lot of sense
thanks for your suggestion buddy. Only if it came with better seats would have not looked else where. Also i went to check the punto evo everything seems fine with the car and am getting a good deal as well .

this weekend will visit honda , hyundai,suzuki and fiat again,Since car will be mostly driven by my dad if he finds grand i10 comfortable, then will book it asap thanks again all for your valuable suggestions guys [:)]

@Bump_that:
Under 6 lac if you want a proper hatchback which offers you:
  • Decent space and comfort
  • Good ride and handling at any speeds
  • Punchy engine with good fuel economy
  • Safety
  • Features
  • Style
  • A.S.S.

Close your eyes and go for a Hyundai Grand i10 Asta(O). I can understand your concern that it has got integrated headrests but that's actually nothing of an issue and the front seats are proper comfy, believe me, I have driven one to and fro from Meerut to Udaipur. Engine is punchy enough that it can run rings around even a Ritz or Swift. Space is good and so is the comfort and overall the vehicle offers enough that you can even make Delhi-Mumbai road trip in it.

All in all, my vote goes for only Grand i10 at the price. i20 is a heavy car for the petrol engine it has and it can be easily felt while driving one.

Grand i10 is the stylish little kid who can quickly cover the town in a single sprint with ease with good all round visibility, good dynamics(it handles great at even 100 kph), great engine, decent FE, low maintenance and a great sticker price - things really can't get better at the price it comes for.

Yes bro, all the Punto evo variants come with Led taillamp. I will suggest 1 more cars, Honda Brio. The Honda Brio top end in central delhi is for 6,00,153 rupees whilst the Grand i10 top end cost 6,02,626. Both these cars are good and have a similar engine but the brio is noticeably more punchy and has a go kart like handling. The i10 is no barge but it doesn't handle as well as the Brio, but since the car will mostly be driven in the city and won't be driven fast( if you do wanna corner then better get your Fiesta out [gun]) then the Grand i10 makes a lot of sense because it is very well equipped and looks good. The seating position might not be much to your liking but the car itself is awesome.The space is also satisfactory. Both these cars petrol engines are entertaining to drive and also deliver good fuel economy. Good luck [[thumbsup]

Dear Mr.Amit, I have to disagree with you on one point. The bolt isn't the quickest and neither is it entertaining to drive. Its coarse sound above 5500 RPM and doesn't let a person have fun. Also the quality will never come to close hatches such was grand i10 . And believe the driving modes are extremely useless. Do reply.
If you have driven Bolt or Zest using its Drive Mode, you may feel the difference. I am not sure with the Zest performance coz haven't driven it, but I am pretty bit sure about the "Sports" mode in BOLT. It was fun to drive.

Driving modes changes are felt much better when you are above 60~70 kmph approx.

What I find better in BOLT is,

- 15" Alloys/tyre
- ABS + CSC really handle the curves better
- the steering response is good
- overall built quality is good.
- space for all seats are better.
- also a well featured car at that price.
- HID for night
- a well affordable price tag.

Grand i10 a small car with lot of gadgets and good designed. It looks like a plush car, but when it comes to drive the petrol engine feels sluggish. I am Hyundai user and I know the pros and cons of having a Hyundai.

Fun to drive cars are MS Swift/Ritz, VW Polo, Skoda Fabia, may be Ford Figo/Fiat Punto Evo. But surely not the Hyundai i10/Grand i10/i20/i20 Elite.

I would have suggested Ritz, but some people feel its design to be outdated/not appropriate. Believe me this car is also a great fun to drive. It would come in your budget.

I would recommend you to go for an automatic car considering stop / start traffic conditions. It could be hard to find automatics within 5L budget.. Are you considering Celerio - it is spacious inside and interiors are good too - but there could be a waiting period. Brio automatic is also superb, but price is around 7L I guess.

Engine is punchy enough that it can run rings around even a Ritz or Swift.
Seriously, is it that good ?? Also its the same Kappa 2 engine which was in the i10 and and i20 which did not have good reviews for its FE. I seriously doubt that it is so much punchier than the K12 engines in Swift/Ritz or more fun to drive.

Nonetheless Grand i10 is a great car when it comes to features and comfort. That's always where Hyundai focused on and are great at it. I would have bought one myself however one of the mains issues for me personally was I am skeptical to be dependent on so much electronics in a low cost car. HASS provides great service however are also known to fleece customers and their parts, specially these electronics are pretty expensive.

Last edited:

Top Bottom