Used Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

Please help me. I have fiat linea diesel now. I always missed power on linea diesel [frustration]. so want to buy a used car. I don't want to empty my wallet. So decided to buy a used petrol car. i want powerfull car minimum 110bhp. tried cruze diesel but out of budget in used cars too so, shortlisted used corolla or civic. Any other suggestions welcome. Max budget around 3-3.5 lakhs.

Honda civic or toyota corolla h2 or h4. Which is reliable which is more powerful. As two cars powered by 1.8. i can't find any roadtest of corolla h2 Please help me. searching for T-jet as well but not finding in Hyderabad only two tjet's are there, asking 5 lakhs+[confused]. so please help me. And which is more fuel efficient? civic or corolla.

Please help me guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you consider honda city in this budget? You should be able to get decently maintained car in your budget. Honda civic is discontinued and I have heard that its parts is little bit costly. Honda City is 1.5 ltr engine and it would be very much fuel efficient compared to Civic & Corolla. I believe honda city has 118 bhp so it also fits in your requirement in that front.

Just my 2 cents. [:D]

For 3 to 3.5L, you would get a 10 year or so old car. In that case go with Corolla. It will pamper you yet pocket friendly on maintenance. Enhance budget to 5-6 and you could get a 7-8 yr old Civic. If I had the T-Jet, would I be selling it ? Never. If I sell, there had to be a hidden reason.

A big word of caution. The power comes at a price :-) I expect all three cars to give a realistic 8 to 10 kpl. Are you prepared for that ? Many people ignore it while buying only to lament (a lot) later.

Last but one, are you really really ready to accept a used car after owning the Linea ? Power-wise, when you drive at one gear down, the Linea does perform adequately IMHO. Why discard the beauty with India's National Engine. Specially when it can cruise at 120 kph for hours together ? Recently I drove alongside a Sail Sedan (Diesel) for about 30 odd km. It was doing fine at 100-120 kph speeds.

Finally, I am not in favour of an used car, unless otherwise you know the owner and owner's driving habits. Good luck.

Thread Starter #4
Guys,,, i have seen an ad of sonata embera crdi. So how it will be and availability of spares of cost. Want to ask in service center. Please help me guys. It's 2008 model 50k kms done. I have not seen this car yet.

I have fiat linea diesel now. I always missed power on linea diesel [frustration].
i want powerfull car minimum 110bhp.
shortlisted used corolla or civic.
Max budget around 3-3.5 lakhs.
If (increased) power is the requirement (and not another car), why don't you remap the Linea. It is a capable machine handling the 100+ bhp power without any issues. Advantage you get is
+ Known devil (better than unknown angel)
+ Diesel efficiency (FE)
+ Better low end torque (Honda needs a lot of improvement here)
+ No additional car / expense (insurance premium)

If this option doesn't satisfy your need and another car is required, out of these 2 Civic is better performer than Corolla.
+ Better looks (subjective)
+ More features
+ More fun to drive
+ Better handling (remember the rear independent suspension)

In simple words, STAY AWAY.

Other options worth considering
- Honda City (100+ bhp, more than sufficient for a car of this size & segment)
- Fiat Linea T-Jet (Hard to find / fit within budget, but worth searching / waiting / extending the budget)
- Getz CRDi (Pocket rocket)

@Manish:
None of the two I'd say. Believe me, I have enough of the experience of the two and I won't recommend the 8-10 year old versions of both the cars.

Instead I'd recommend you to follow the word of @Bhaveshce and try to find some decent Honda City i-vtec. Or try to find a used SX-4, it is a really good car in its petrol guise, and you can find some very good examples at dirt cheap price too. Else Linea T-Jet is also a good option; only if you can find one.

Would have elaborated everything but running a bit out of time for now.

Thread Starter #7
If (increased) power is the requirement (and not another car), why don't you remap the Linea. It is a capable machine handling the 100+ bhp power without any issues. Advantage you get is
+ Known devil (better than unknown angel)
+ Diesel efficiency (FE)
+ Better low end torque (Honda needs a lot of improvement here)
+ No additional car / expense (insurance premium)

If this option doesn't satisfy your need and another car is required, out of these 2 Civic is better performer than Corolla.
+ Better looks (subjective)
+ More features
+ More fun to drive
+ Better handling (remember the rear independent suspension)

In simple words, STAY AWAY.

Other options worth considering
- Honda City (100+ bhp, more than sufficient for a car of this size & segment)
- Fiat Linea T-Jet (Hard to find / fit within budget, but worth searching / waiting / extending the budget)
- Getz CRDi (Pocket rocket)
Thanks mr.boss, yes getz crdi is a rocket with 1.5crdi but don't want that because lack of abs nor airbags. My linea crossed 102350 kms. Don't want to remap it. Am interested in honda city too but in Hyderabad these cars price is quite high(just saw ads) i don't want that city zx (dolphin nose). I want third generation city. That was costing nearly 4.5-5 lakhs in used car market. It's higer than civic. With 5 lakhs i can buy a diesel vehicle. So, what would be the price of third generation city. Any enthusiast used cars below 4lakhs[confused]. I want to sell my linea but these dealers asking 2.75 lakhs[frustration]. Even individual buyers asking 3.5lakhs. So, decided not to sell my car.My car is in good condition with new tyres also. So i had thinking even diesel linea asking for 3lakhs, then why this price for petrol cars. So any used without breaking bank.

Why don't you consider honda city in this budget? You should be able to get decently maintained car in your budget. Honda civic is discontinued and I have heard that its parts is little bit costly. Honda City is 1.5 ltr engine and it would be very much fuel efficient compared to Civic & Corolla. I believe honda city has 118 bhp so it also fits in your requirement in that front.

Just my 2 cents. [:D]
Thanks bhaveshce, by the how is your city. How are nvh levels how is high speed stability. What is the mileage.how is power delivery.

Thanks bhaveshce, by the how is your city. How are nvh levels how is high speed stability. What is the mileage.how is power delivery.
NVH level is good, I am quite comfortable with it. I have replaced and upgraded the tires with Michinline XM2 (previously it was Good Year), and after that ride is pretty much smooth and silent. [:D]

About the stability, I am very much comfortable with the ride till 120 KMPH but above that I don't feel that confidence. I have driven my swift on 140 KMPH and I felt it pretty much stable. This is my personal feeling, other might have different opinion.

As Mr Boss had mentioned in earlier post, Honda City lacks low end torque. Normal driver will not complain about that but if you are enthusiast then you may be disappointed.

If your primary requirement is enthusiast car then I think Honda City should not be your first choice. However Honda City is overall good package which balance with good ride, low maintenance & good resale value.

I have read at lots of forums that Ford Fiesta has very much peppy engine and it is enthusiast car. However I don't have any personal experience with it but other fellow TAI'ger can shade some light.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks bhaveshce, what is your car FE
About the stability, I am very much comfortable with the ride till 120 KMPH but above that I don't feel that confidence. I have driven my swift on 140 KMPH and I felt it pretty much stable. This is my personal feeling, other might have different opinion
But my linea feels confident till 140!! And honda city didn't feel confident till 140[frustration]. But my linea engine noise is high. It's a heavy car with puny engine. So,found optra magnum quite good. How will be the optra magnum diesel.[confused]

"To put it straight,you have a good car, which you think is not powerful and you want to go for another second hand car which you think is good,which is out dated or not in production anymore. "[lol]
The 'change' bug had bitten you. Buddy,If the existing car is not giving you much trouble don't exchange. You are not getting good money for sale of the existing car too.
If its about power, your linea is one of the best car to remap and make it more cheerful to drive. Why do you want to go for second hand cars,which is underpowered and unreliable? Your fiat can run another 2 lac kilometers with a little help here and there. [thumbsup]

If you can stretch till 5 lakhs, you can find a well maintained altis or civic in Hyderabad.
Stay away from civic, which are manufactured before 2008.
Both cars are very reliable but the issue is wear and tear parts cost very high in the D-segment.you need to be prepared for that if you want to upgrade into D-segment.
civic is the only car i give a second look, its design is timeless in and out. Altis is boring to drive compared to civic.

second car is required for me
In that case you could consider the below options
1) Honda City
Try hard to find one within your budget. I understand that City demand a little extra premium in used market, but worth searching. In Chennai 2009 City VMT is available as low as 3L (with around 70k on odo)
2) Ford Fiesta 1.6
It is equally more driver oriented car with 100 horses under hood. Also the top end came with ABS & Airbags and more importantly it is easy to fit within the budget

Civic & Corolla are class apart, but maintenance will also be a class above and FE will be single digit for B2B traffic.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks guys for helping me. Now my brother who turned 18y recently got license. Now he want car. When i was 18 my dad bought linea for me. Now it's his turn. Now my dad decided to buy used car for him. My little brother wants a used skoda octavia. So, is it good idea to buy a used skoda octavia. Any problems with spares problem. Any octavia owner please throw some light on this. Am not able to find a octavia with 50k less odometer. All are minimum 60k above mileage. But all are in good condition. he told me that he want skoda octavia. Am worried about it maintenance only. Now what to do.

Top Bottom