Thread Starter #1
Hello experts,
Please help me in choosing a car. Below are the details:
> Budget: Rs.10 Lakhs

> New or Used: New Car

> Location: Chennai

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Design, Low Maintenance, Luggage Space

> Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol or diesel (open to both)

> For What Purpose: Regular Use

> Seating Capacity: Usually 4 adults and 1 Kid; Occasionally 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: Sedan

Thanks.

Re: Help to choose a car

For You're price range, City is the pick of the lot. It ticks you're needs. That Petrol engine is a gem.
You'll have to wait slightly longer in case you want petrol while diesel will be available quicker.
Test Drive it and then decide. But remember not to rule that car just because it has noisy diesel engine which everyone says about.
Next best choices are Ciaz, Verna, Fiesta, Vento, Rapid, Linea. All come in you're budget.

5 full adults- City> Linea> Sunny> Verna> Ciaz> Vento/Rapid.

The Fiesta is quite cramped as compared to all the above cars.
4 Adults 1 kid - Any car. But, Vento/Rapid have a transmission tunnel so the 5th pax is always uncomfortable.

Boot space City/Ciaz/Linea=500-510 litres. Next comes Sunny (490 litres) , followed by Verna/Vento/Rapid ~ 460 litres. Fiesta has aroun 430 litres.

The Linea has the highest ground clearance amongst the lot (185-190mm). It does not sag much with full passengers and luggage. Most of the other cars definitely will.

Amongst the petrols in your budget, the Linea T-Jet is the best car along with City. In diesels, the Vento/Rapid/Verna have better powerplants, but Linea/City/Ciaz/Fiesta are not too bad either. So is Sunny diesel.
Ride/handling - Linea/Fiesta, followed by City. City is let down by its "B-segment" tyres though. Vento/Rapid/Verna have soft suspensions and can pitch up and down a bit on undulating roads. Ciaz /Sunny are sort of neutral, but unexciting.

With regards your priority for safety, Linea- T Jet has all-round disc brakes and the best stopping power in the segment. Build quality of Linea is rock solid, followed by Fiesta , and both are way better than the rest.

All the cars in the segment come with front airbags ,however, the Verna and Sunny come with front and side airbags (which may exceed your budget). Also not sure if City/Vento/Rapid/Ciaz will fit your bill in terms of airbags within 10 lac budget. Only Linea would do so.

Last edited:
5 full adults- City> Linea> Sunny> Verna> Ciaz> Vento/Rapid.

The Fiesta is quite cramped as compared to all the above cars.
4 Adults 1 kid - Any car. But, Vento/Rapid have a transmission tunnel so the 5th pax is always uncomfortable.

Boot space City/Ciaz/Linea=500-510 litres. Next comes Sunny (490 litres) , followed by Verna/Vento/Rapid ~ 460 litres. Fiesta has aroun 430 litres.

The Linea has the highest ground clearance amongst the lot (185-190mm). It does not sag much with full passengers and luggage. Most of the other cars definitely will.

Amongst the petrols in your budget, the Linea T-Jet is the best car along with City. In diesels, the Vento/Rapid/Verna have better powerplants, but Linea/City/Ciaz/Fiesta are not too bad either. So is Sunny diesel.
Ride/handling - Linea/Fiesta, followed by City. City is let down by its "B-segment" tyres though. Vento/Rapid/Verna have soft suspensions and can pitch up and down a bit on undulating roads. Ciaz /Sunny are sort of neutral, but unexciting.

With regards your priority for safety, Linea- T Jet has all-round disc brakes and the best stopping power in the segment. Build quality of Linea is rock solid, followed by Fiesta , and both are way better than the rest.

All the cars in the segment come with front airbags ,however, the Verna and Sunny come with front and side airbags (which may exceed your budget). Also not sure if City/Vento/Rapid/Ciaz will fit your bill in terms of airbags within 10 lac budget. Only Linea would do so.
Dear acechip, may I know why are you so biased towards Linea? Linea has absolutely no space in the back seat and you expect me to believe that Linea can seat 5 passengers comfortably? :eek: Seating five full passengers should be in this order- City,Sunny,Ciaz,Verna,Rapid/Vento and finally Linea. Do reply as I would love to have a FRIENDLY argument. MODS are you listening?!?! [;)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Ferrari,

Car purchase decision in any budget is really difficult. Ultimately boils down to personal choice. However, with the above requirements, I feel anything in excess of 1200+ kms in a month calls for Diesel car. In the Diesel, you can check out Verna, Ciaz, City. Personal experience with City has been good though and rear seats are really comfortable in City as of the Ciaz, there is decent of seating in the rear. Of CITY and CIAZ, CITY is an old leader of the segment, but, CIAZ comes at a competitive price and a feature-rich profile in comparison.

Linea is a matured Italian car. The looks are not as eye-catchy as the other in segment but performance wise the Linea is no less. Just be sure of the after-sales network of FIAT.

Talking about Vento and look-alike Rapid, you can check out 1.5 DSG Spec. But do remember its a VW with own share of issues including an average after-sales. Also, apart from the hump in the rear, the quality of AC Vents is poor in Vento since they break often specially when car is given for service.

Any thoughts about the newly launched Verna? The mid trim can be accommodated in your budget.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #7
So sir, which car purchased? Do give an update.
Will be getting it in a couple of months as I still haven't decided. I have widened the bracket up to 11 Lakhs. At this moment, I am eyeing for either Honda City petrol or Fiat Linea T-Jet. Honda city ticks all my boxes, but for the solid build and handling. So I haven't finalised yet.

Any thoughts about the newly launched Verna? The mid trim can be accommodated in your budget.
Yet to TD new Verna; will update once done.

Thanks.

Dear acechip, may I know why are you so biased towards Linea? Linea has absolutely no space in the back seat and you expect me to believe that Linea can seat 5 passengers comfortably? :eek: Seating five full passengers should be in this order- City,Sunny,Ciaz,Verna,Rapid/Vento and finally Linea. Do reply as I would love to have a FRIENDLY argument. MODS are you listening?!?! [;)]
Can I be brutally honest here ? NONE of the cars in this segment really have full shoulder-shoulder comfort for 3 adults in the rear. 2 cars that come slightly close are the Tata Manza and the Toyota Etios.

But Linea does offer an excellent seat squab, therefore with some adjustment, 3 people can be comfortable. How do i know ? I own one. I do not understand how you can put Vento/Rapid better here. That transmission tunnel effectively turns the third person into a horse rider, straddling both legs across. Add to that that constant pitching and audible thudding of the rear wheels on undulating surfaces.

Top Bottom