Planning To Purchase Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT (2014). Need Guidance.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Planning to purchase 2014 Fortuner 4x4 manual. any input or guidance

Whats your motto behind buying one?
Do you want for off-roading or just for looks?
Please provide more inputs so we can help you.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hi Vijay,

Is the 4x4 Fortuner used one or stock clearance one?

If used then:

* How much is ODO showing?

* What's its external condition if you may have seen any pic?

* Have you verified Vehicle's History and Records of Service?

* What's the asking sum?

Another Q: Is your decision of buying Fortuner, based on Word of Mouth or Your practical experience of the vehicle viz-a-viz Test Drive?

Do note, A used SUV is slightly heavy on the pocket in terms of maintenance and as it is they are prone to quick depreciation too.

Kindly do share the following criteria as to enable us to suggest you if Fortuner is the right one!

* Vehicle Usage pattern on a monthly basis

* Type of roads to be driven upon.

* Passenger Capacity.

* Parking Place.

* Self Driven or Chauffeur Driven.

* How long are you planning to keep it?

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Hi Vijay,

Is the 4x4 Fortuner used one or stock clearance one?

If used then:

* How much is ODO showing?

* What's its external condition if you may have seen any pic?

* Have you verified Vehicle's History and Records of Service?

* What's the asking sum?

Another Q: Is your decision of buying Fortuner, based on Word of Mouth or Your practical experience of the vehicle viz-a-viz Test Drive?

Do note, A used SUV is slightly heavy on the pocket in terms of maintenance and as it is they are prone to quick depreciation too.

Kindly do share the following criteria as to enable us to suggest you if Fortuner is the right one!

* Vehicle Usage pattern on a monthly basis

* Type of roads to be driven upon.

* Passenger Capacity.

* Parking Place.

* Self Driven or Chauffeur Driven.

* How long are you planning to keep it?

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash for quick response

1. 4x4 is from stock clearance sale

2. Was using Innova for 9+ year, drove 170000kms

3. Requirements for new car
A. Must be 3 row and last row should help to sleep on 2-3 hour short drives
B. 3 weeks in a month - city drive approx 25- 30kms max per day
C. 2 week ends long drives - mostly highways including bad 2 way road stretches approx 1000 kms per month
Total about 1500 KMs per month
D. Offroading - not must. May try once in 6 months
E. Self drive only
F. Easy to change gears in city traffic. Shouldn't lead to knee pain etc

Car options in mind
1. Pajero sport
2. Fortuner
3. Renault Lodgy
4. Ford endeavour - new

As government removed excise concessions, intend to buy 2014 stock of fortuner or new releases this year like Lodgy or Endeavour

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Ok Vijay, now that makes sense. Buying a stock clearance 2014 Fortuner would rather be a sweet deal I am sure but based on the requirements and since you aren't really inclined for off-roading then why not consider Ertiga? It will be serving your requirements well and relatively is economical to maintain than a Fortuner.

As for the Lodgy, Comparatively, Fortuner and Lodgy belong to separate segments i.e SUV and MPV respectively and so both have diverse characteristics. Secondly, Lodgy is yet to be launched and so is the case with new Endeavour. Even after they are launched, it will be rather worthwhile to see that how are they going to fare in the market and establish their technical/ mechanical competency. After getting launched, for any car, period of next 6-8 months is really crucial in terms of it being received and getting established in market.

Hence, keeping the above scenario in mind, a rather wise decision would be to go for Ertiga and a newer Ertiga model is coming in next 3 months.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

Ok Vijay, now that makes sense. Buying a stock clearance 2014 Fortuner would rather be a sweet deal I am sure but based on the requirements and since you aren't really inclined for off-roading then why not consider Ertiga? It will be serving your requirements well and relatively is economical to maintain than a Fortuner.

As for the Lodgy, Comparatively, Fortuner and Lodgy belong to separate segments i.e SUV and MPV respectively and so both have diverse characteristics. Secondly, Lodgy is yet to be launched and so is the case with new Endeavour. Even after they are launched, it will be rather worthwhile to see that how are they going to fare in the market and establish their technical/ mechanical competency. After getting launched, for any car, period of next 6-8 months is really crucial in terms of it being received and getting established in market.

Hence, keeping the above scenario in mind, a rather wise decision would be to go for Ertiga and a newer Ertiga model is coming in next 3 months.

Regards

Akash
Rejected Ertiga, Enjoy, Evalia and Mobilio in last 3 years. First
3 vehicles not matching innova comfort, it's not their fault though. Not meeting my expectations. .
Mobilio bad quality and high cost
Ertiga rejected due to non availability of split seats in last row, and lack of comfort.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Rejected Ertiga, Enjoy, Evalia and Mobile in last 3 years. Ertiga rejected due to non availability of split seats in last row, and lack of comfort.
What's your take on XUV-500? Since you have struck-off almost every available MPV, that leaves us with Fortuner and XUV only.

First3 vehicles not matching innova comfort, it's not their fault though. Not meeting my expectations. .
Mobilio bad quality and high cost
Reason is, Innova was the initiator of Luxury MPV segment here and so the type of R&D involved in making an Innova of the 1st batch (probably the one you owned) was unparalleled and this was the reason why its such a big hit with personal/ commercial buyers. All the other MPV's of other respective brands were rolled to compete against Innova with their OEM provisions which are somehow not really equivalent to that of Innova. Therefore, difference in feel of an Innova and other of the segment is unavoidable.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

What's your take on XUV-500? Since you have struck-off almost every available MPV, that leaves us with Fortuner and XUV only.

Regards

Akash
XUV feature rich, not good fit and finish and not even matching i10 ( my perception ). Also 2nd row seat not adjustable; for the car of XUV size not sufficient luggage space :-(
Waiting for car like Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna or town ace. All car companies dumping old technologies at exorbitant cost in India. Our government not helping us, because both central and state governments charging high taxes in various forms

@Vijay:
After owning a Toyota, I am really doubtful if a Mahindra, Tata or even a Maruti can satisfy you. Toyota is damn good at sales and services that every owner I have met till date is impressed with them.

Given your requirements you have already selected the perfect car for you and you can go with your eyes closed for a Fortuner, it is a typical no nonsense SUV which perfectly suits all your requirements.
Rest Pajero is the one to go for if you need a plusher ride.

Let's have a look at your requirements:

A. Must be 3 row and last row should help to sleep on 2-3 hour short drives
That means a properly usable third row is required; only Tata Aria and Toyota Fortuner have it.

B. 3 weeks in a month - city drive approx 25- 30kms max per day
Good low end torque required; Fortuner or Pajero is the SUV to go for. Low end torque + commanding view of road. Rest you can give a try to some mHawk engines SUV too, that is a fantastic engine I must say.

C. 2 week ends long drives - mostly highways including bad 2 way road stretches approx 1000 kms per month
Pajero is the one that is most suited, Fortuner comes next.

D. Offroading - not must. May try once in 6 months
Even a soft roader should be fine here. Select any as per your wish.

E. Self drive only
Fortuner is the one that offers most driving comfort.

F. Easy to change gears in city traffic. Shouldn't lead to knee pain etc
Fortuner again, it moves like an automatic with negligible number of gearshifts required even in the city.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
@Vijay:
After owning a Toyota, I am really doubtful if a Mahindra, Tata or even a Maruti can satisfy you. Toyota is damn good at sales and services that every owner I have met till date is impressed with them.

Given your requirements you have already selected the perfect car for you and you can go with your eyes closed for a Fortuner, it is a typical no nonsense SUV which perfectly suits all your requirements.
Rest Pajero is the one to go for if you need a plusher ride
Thanks Vipul. Mitsubishi team not promoting Pajero Sport well. Also they promised 2 months ago extraordinary drive from city to city. But HM dealer says max 15kms test drive. So they are over promising and under delivering. Also recent 2 lakh increase in Jan2015 helped me to forget Pajero Sport. Good vehicle in bad hands in India.

Thanks Vipul. Mitsubishi team not promoting Pajero Sport well. Also they promised 2 months ago extraordinary drive from city to city. But HM dealer says max 15kms test drive. So they are over promising and under delivering. Also recent 2 lakh increase in Jan2015 helped me to forget Pajero Sport. Good vehicle in bad hands in India.
Then go for a Fortuner, I have owned a Toyota before(Innova), own one currently too and have an extensive experience of driving a Fortuner. I can tell you that the SUV will never let you down. Rest I have written in my previous post.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Vijay, don't forget to TD the xuv before finalizing. there's a facelift on the corner if you can wait.
think with a cool mind. nothing can beat the xuv as of now. and slowly fortuner feels a very stupid buy at 27L.

and this comes from the owner of all 3 cars you've mentioned- xuv, fortuner, i10 !

Thread Starter #13
Thanks for all your inputs.
1. Decided and paid advance for purchasing Toyota Fortuner 4WD MT model.
2. 2014 one Silky Gold is the color chosen after family members review of Super white, black and Silky gold.
- Silky gold was looking to my eyes as if its one more variant of light Grey. may be its time for visit to optician for colour blindness :-)
3. Quick question to forum members bought Fortuner
(a) What freebies (like Accessories) / discounts provided by Toyota fortuner ? Appreciate your input
(b) Also trying to see whether i can get NCB transfer from my sold innova to new fortuner (such that insurance premium would be lower)

any thoughts on point 3 is appreciated.

Thread Starter #14
What are the popular add-on accessories for 2014 Fortuner 4x4 MT ?

I have short listed only one so far
1. Fender mirror -

Others i have not thought about, need guidance
2. Navigation - As no navigation present, need to depend upon my mobile for navigation :-(. Are there any mechanisms to upgrade existing unit to operate with Navigation system
3. Are there any popular rear bumpers to avoid bruises from read end brushes by other vehicles ?
4. Any recommended 3M treatment for Fortuner to sustain wear & tear ?

thanks in advance !

What are the popular add-on accessories for 2014 Fortuner 4x4 MT ?

I have short listed only one so far
1. Fender mirror -

Others i have not thought about, need guidance
2. Navigation - As no navigation present, need to depend upon my mobile for navigation :-(. Are there any mechanisms to upgrade existing unit to operate with Navigation system
3. Are there any popular rear bumpers to avoid bruises from read end brushes by other vehicles ?
4. Any recommended 3M treatment for Fortuner to sustain wear & tear ?

thanks in advance !
Hi Vijay,congrats on buying the T-Fort. A great offroad and onroad car. My suggestion for accessories would be to go for nothing! The T-Fort is already a spectacular car on its own and doesn't need any accessories. Regarding the fender mirror believe me you will look like a politician! That also counts for the bull-bars. There isn't anything that can protect your car from common brushes except for a bull-bar which like I said makes you look like a politician and apart from that on the safety front its really bad too. God forbid if you have an impact at high speed and if you have a bull bar installed - in front- airbags don't deploy because crumple zones won't crumple and would transfer impact to body also chassis can get bent.
In rear- it would transfer the impact onto the body and there is a chance that it might bend the chassis too. Have a great d day. Do post some photos of the golden T-Fort.

Top Bottom