Buying First New Car For Rs.6 - 7 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone
This is my first ever post about cars in Internet
About a month ago my family got the first car and that is legendary maruti 800, for learning driving we thought this is the best car
And in a month or so we are planning to buy a new car
Budget 6-7 lakh, stretched budget 7.5 lakh
First priority is space and comfort,like good suspension
And mileage is also a priority
Our monthly running be around 1000km and occasional(once in a 2months) highway trips about 600kms to and fro
As we are living in a small town so mostly our trips on 2lane highways.
As this is our first new car we want a pleasant after sales service
Safety options are also considered but at our budget no hatchbacks are offering any safety options like abs and airbags
I don't understand which one to choose
I made a list of cars that is suitable for our requirements
1.hyundai grand i10
2.swift/dzire
3.hyundai xcent
4.tata bolt/zest
5.honda amaze
If any car you can suggest please!!
And also please suggest me the fuel type (im thinking of a diesel car!!)

So, Basically what you need is a Petrol Hatch.
From your List, I will cut off Amaze and Xcent.
Swift: Proven war horse - Wide spread ASC- Good resale value.
Grand i10: Excellent Quality all over- Feature rich - Hyundai's trusted ASC.
Bolt : Space and comfort - Improved quality -Feature loaded- Value for money.

Please do TD of all the options.

Test drive new TATA BOLT. You will love the feature enrich car and stylish appearance.
The REVTRON engine and new BOLT/ZEST styling has really help TATA to come over the TAXI car maker image.

But if you are not still comfortable with TATA brand, then choice left with you is

MS Swift
Hyundai i20 Elite

Nissan Mirca
Renault Pulse
Honda Brio
Ford Figo

Since you have good budget in hand, try to buy a car with Airbag+ABS.

As safety should be always the first preference.

For a monthly run of about 1000 km, all that you will require is a petrol vehicle, diesel would be overkill.
Contrary to your belief, most of the hatch in your budget provide you with ABS and airbags. Below are th variants.
Grand i10 asta(o): superb engine, will get you features which you get in a segment higher, decent stability. cheapest of the lot here.
Swift zxi: updated one gets most of the necessary features plus the best petrol engine in india at this budget. will cost you 7+
Bolt xt: Zest proved to be great, bolt acquires the same revtron 1.2 petrol, most powerful engine in the segment. Will cost slightly more than grand, with many segment firsts like connect next, gps nav etc.
Both swift and bolt will be found wanting in the boot space segment.

Zest xt: Your stretched budget of 7.5 lakhs will get you this awesome machine, you have everything bolt has plus drls and increased boot.

Xcent sx: All that grand has and much more, but you might have to stretch your budget a little.

there are others but since you are saying you live in a small town, look for accessibility of service station in your vicinity, if you have then you can consider the updated ford figo, will be released in a couple of months; Volkswagen polo( costly maintenance, but do not overlook the awesome machine), chevy sail, etios liva.

Also look at the number of people who will usually travel in the car.
Grand, swift and polo : 4 will be comfy, 5 will have to squeeze.
Bolt, zest, etios and sail can take in 5 comfortably.

I leave out amaze as it looks bare-bones compared to the lot mentioned here. swift dzire while a competent machine, will feel like its a bit overpriced.

PS: If you are planning to keep the machine for 5 plus years, then do check with dealer for 2014 models, you might get mouth watering deals.

My vote goes to the zest because i love it. But if u want to try anything other than the cars you mentioned give the Hyundai Elite i20 a try. [cheers]

Thread Starter #9
thank you TAI members for your valuable reply
now after some research i am considering swift vxi or ritz zxi,because both cars having same engines (correct me if im wrong,)and because of safety features im considering ritz zxi,
is ritz zxi a good car like swift?
any reports from ritz petrol owners ?? and fuel efficiency ???
the car is basically for small town use and used by my parents ,
and how ritz comparable to swift..

Dude swift will be good than ritz.
In handling part and ride quality.

Ritz also same but, swift will be more appealing.

But if i had to make a choice ill blindly go for turbo charged petrol from tata

Yes its the bolt
Wat a car it is,just td it, you are sold!
Its way more comfy and solid than a swift or Ritz.

Seat comfort is just awesome.
Power packed performance
All new interior with quality products.
Believe me its not just old tata.

Head unit of it rocks
The city,sport normal modes work flawlessly.

If you are smart. Go for bolt! Be latest!

thank you TAI members for your valuable reply
now after some research i am considering swift vxi or ritz zxi,because both cars having same engines (correct me if im wrong,)and because of safety features im considering ritz zxi,
is ritz zxi a good car like swift?
any reports from ritz petrol owners ?? and fuel efficiency ???
the car is basically for small town use and used by my parents ,
and how ritz comparable to swift..
Owned Ritz for couple of years and would say its a great car.Its a tall boy design and that means ingress and egress would be quite good for senior people like your parents. ZXi also have 15" radials,if I am not wrong,which means good ground clearance. You will get 16-18 Kmpl on average. The vehicle is a beauty to drive.

Thread Starter #12
Dude swift will be good than ritz.
In handling part and ride quality.

Ritz also same but, swift will be more appealing.

But if i had to make a choice ill blindly go for turbo charged petrol from tata

Yes its the bolt
Wat a car it is,just td it, you are sold!
Its way more comfy and solid than a swift or Ritz.

Seat comfort is just awesome.
Power packed performance
All new interior with quality products.
Believe me its not just old tata.

Head unit of it rocks
The city,sport normal modes work flawlessly.

If you are smart. Go for bolt! Be latest!
yeah i saw it in a showroom and i feel the quality is good,i feel like im sitting in i20 asta
but as this is our first new car we dont want to take any risk by picking up a tata 'petrol' car(no offence tata owners)[;)] (typical indian answer i think !)
if diesel is my option i'll definitely go for tata.

Last edited:
@srikanth a company evolves from where it was years back. I understand your concern over a petrol sedan or hatch from a diesel maestro. having said the new engines have got great review from experts at TAI as well as various other Autobloggers. Auto Magazines. so if you are stuck with a perception without testing i would say that is foolish. anyways if you dont like tata. why not try I20, i think even base version of petrol ecosport will come in this budget.

Thread Starter #14
@srikanth a company evolves from where it was years back. I understand your concern over a petrol sedan or hatch from a diesel maestro. having said the new engines have got great review from experts at TAI as well as various other Autobloggers. Auto Magazines. so if you are stuck with a perception without testing i would say that is foolish. anyways if you dont like tata. why not try I20, i think even base version of petrol ecosport will come in this budget.
i think you are a die hard fan of tata,and im not telling bad about revotron engine
though it is a new one we have to wait for some time for long time reliability and fuel efficiency etc, and i like tata too.everybody in india loves the space in indica v2[clap]
I20 and ecosport base versions are not coming with safety features
and safety is first priority [drive]

yeah . you are right i am a fan of TATA. because of the many firsts TATA is provided India with. one company that truly represents India and understands the Indian mindset. having said that i don't deny the praise for other companies with their gems. Today in the market you have so many products to choose it often confuses the buyer. in such a case consider buying a 2-3 year old topend versions of cars with low resale value but high in features. i think that should sort the problem. or i would say Xcent from Hyundai nearly fits the bill with the safety features and also happens to be one of the cars you shortlisted.

Top Bottom