Used car for around Rs 2.5 lakh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Friends, due to an unusual twist of events, we might require a used car for about Rs 2.5 lakh. Keeping in mind the factors, please guide.]
Factors -
1. 60 km/day + 400 km highway trip per month
2. To be driven on highways and bumpy roads of a small town.
3. Must have decent interiors and features.
4. The FE should be decent enough, service easy
5. The car will be driven mainly
a. A driver
OR
b. My septagenarian grandpa.
6. The car will be disposed of after 8 months, so resale value should be satisfactory.

Note that the possibility of us buying it is 40%. The purchase of the premium hatch may get postponed.
I think the viable options we have are 2004-7.
1. Maruti Esteem
2, Ford Ikon, preferably diesel. (Please let me knoe the ave. highway Fe of the 1.6 and 1.3 petrols, though)
3. Hyundai Accent - same as Ikon.
4. Hyundai Getz
5. Maruti WagonR
2007+
1. Spark
2. Santro (Bumpy ride is a - pt.)

Thats a surprising twist!

Anyways out of all the cars you have mentioned, i would recommend you to go for Maruti WagonR. This will have good resale value anyday due to the Maruti tag attached to it. Also it has roomy interiors and wide opening doors suitable for aged people. Although i wont say it is feature laden, but then still it has decent amount of features that one can have at that price.
Even Esteem is a good choice, but lacks good cabin space.

If you are keen on going for a diesel car, then go for an Accent CRDi(if you get it at that price). Its resale wont be as good as that of a Maruti car, but still it will be better than a Ford.

Thread Starter #3
Yeah, the WagonR is an excellent option. The Accent and Esteem have the sedan factor though. However, ingress and egress can be a prob in the Esteem, which might be bad for my grampa.

Thread Starter #4
Ignoring the fact that we already have an Indigo, is it good to add Indigo (04-08, both pet & D) to the list?

Well yes, Indigo can be added to your list. It has good comfort, but please stay away from Petrol ones, since they are very thirsty(i have owned one). You may go for a diesel(TDi) if you find one in good condition.

Thread Starter #6
Yeah, but then it is going to be much older than ours! One thing, I prefer petrol cars,as I feel they are quite smooth. For our budget, WagonR, Spark and Getz seem suitable of which the WagonR is near perfect. What say guys?

If you are keen on going for a Petrol heart, then cut off Indiago from your list, though you may find one at a much lower price.
Even i feel WagonR will be the best bet, though if you want some style quotient, you may consider Getz.
BTW where are our other TAI experts? Zinam, RSM, 350Z where are you guys?

My suggestion is bit different. Since its going to be driven by mostly driver, and your highway drive is 400+ per month, I would suggest Indica. It has decent FE and resale will be good.
Wagon-R is also fine, but i don't suggest that car for more highway drive.

Thread Starter #9
We've had half a dozen Indicas+Indigos, and I don't want yet another, honestly. The car will do 20-40km/day on highway on weekdays, if bought. What are the other cars you will suggest. Note: If at all, the others are not satisfactory, I shall consider the Indica/Indigo too.

My next suggestion would be Accent. FE is bad, but since you are keeping it only for less than year, FE should not be in consideration.

If I would have to suggest for you, I would have suggested Palio 1.6.[:D]

Thread Starter #11
Thanks RSM. I like the Accent, and the Esteem even better, but the problem is, in case my grandfather drives the car, seating position must be very comfy for him (he's 70+), as he has knee & ankle pains. (one more reason why Indigo/ca aren't good for him).

I know the New WagonR rolls like a dhow, but any specific reason why the old waggy isn't a good highway car? I just want to know, not that I'm questioning you. Also, are the Chevy spark and Getz good options?

Hi Arkin,

You can also hunt for used ford fusion. It is a great machine and spacious too. I guess the petrol one will fit in yur budget. [:D]

Thread Starter #14
Hi Arkin,

You can also hunt for used ford fusion. It is a great machine and spacious too. I guess the petrol one will fit in yur budget. [:D]
Why yes! Thanks dude Marun! But the prob is there is no guarantee of us finding too many in the market, let alone our budget.

I know the New WagonR rolls like a dhow, but any specific reason why the old waggy isn't a good highway car? I just want to know, not that I'm questioning you. Also, are the Chevy spark and Getz good options?
WHy i didn't suggest Wagon-R on highway because of its shape. Wagon-R (or any car with more height) doesn't feel stable. But these cars are excellent for elderly person.
Getz will have same issue in getting-in/out due to its height.

I am not sure if Fusion will come in 2.5 L, if it is available, its a nice choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom