Buying a < 7 Lakh Petrol Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hey everyone!
We are all set to get our 10th car.This time, its going to be our own car.
Let me set our priorities (and our scenario) right.
Our Scenario -
We have our beloved office Indigo for my dad's daily commute and to run errands on weekdays and saturdays. For dropping me off to school, and minor Sunday commute, we use our 800. The claustrophobia of our M800, and over dependence on our driver have driven us (or rather me) to the new car market. The car will cover 50 km a week on average.
We have a budget of Rs 6 lakh on the ex - showroom price (pushed to the limit, considering our lackluster usage)
Priorities -
Our main priorities are great cabin comfort, easy to maintain (considering our usage), decent space and something that appeals more to the heart
Performance must be decent enough to be brisk enough in traffic, and FE, though not a worry, should not be something that could pinch our pocket a bit. Oh, and it should be easy to maneuver too.
Options-
Polo Comfyline,Dzire ZXi i20 Asta Opt., Fiesta EXi (less safety)
Low cost Options-open to us, just in case they seem attractive enough
WagonR VXi ABS, Figo Titanum.Micra XV ]

For now, we will consider only the Polo league, until further developments
The Cheaper the better.
We'll be going to VW and maybe Maruti tomorrow.

My heart is set onto the Polo though! :biggrin:

Just one question: I believe Ford has these massive discounts on the Fiesta around the Diwali season, is it true?

Go for Hyundai i20 Asta.

Pros:

1. Best in class interior
  2. 5 star rating for security features
  3. Very spacious and comfy
  4. Trusted brand, so affordable maintenance
  5. Wide service network
  6. Good FE
Cons:

1. Some people feel that 1.2L engine is not good enough. However, this is more than good enough for family use and long trips.

Thread Starter #6
Sorry for OT, but what is Ambientes?
Ambient - Topend Fabia
Go for Hyundai i20 Asta.

Pros:

1. Best in class interior
  2. 5 star rating for security features
  3. Very spacious and comfy
  4. Trusted brand, so affordable maintenance
  5. Wide service network
  6. Good FE
Cons:

1. Some people feel that 1.2L engine is not good enough. However, this is more than good enough for family use and long trips.
Thanks Shynish. I believe the Polo's interiors are the best in terms of build, quality and finish. I've of i20s and i10s having steering problems.
Features wise, I think the i20 wins, quality wise, the Polo and VFM Wise, the DZire. Right?

I never heard anything on that steering problem. We can not expect a steering problem in 5 start rated cars! Quality of i20 is also good. However, it is just a mind set that normally people feel good about European cars. Have you seen a successful small car in US. NO! because they feel that the cars should be big, though it is changing nowadays.

I think both i20 & Polo are equally good and VFM. DZire is in a different league. Between i20 & Polo, it will more easy and cost effective to maintain i20. Also, note that i20 has out numbered Polo sales figures in many European countries.

AMG

Suspended
What!!!
i20 has no steering issues.
Only some minor rattles and vibrations at very high speeds.

And that issue has been rectified now.

Guys got it. Since I don't want to give external links, I am putting it here:

Apparently few i20's seems to have some problem with the steering damper assembly. As a result of which you hear those rattles while driving on bad roads or going over bumps. Hyundai had sent a circular to all dealers to add\change bush in this assembly if any i20 has this complaints. Hyundai call it the "Yokepad+spring".
This issue was identified in 2009 and rectified immediately!

Thread Starter #10
Thanks Shynish M and AMG. What are your views on the DZire? The Dzire might not be as easy to maneuver in Bangalore.

AMG

Suspended
Well, the Dzire's interior quality is nowhere near i20 or Polo.
And long waiting periods as well.

Would the Vento or Toyota Etios be out of your budget?

When exactly do you plan to buy your car?

I don think the Vento or the Etios sedan will fit in his budget!

Dzire can noway be compared to a Polo or an i20. The Dzire lacks the interior quality of both these cars and on top of this the waiting period for Dzire is very long.

I would suggest i20 Asta with sunroof too and i guess it will fit in your budget. Polo's waiting period is also very high i believe!

If you want the new car immediately then go for an i20 Asta but if you don bother waiting for a few months go for a Polo. For your minimal running , higher maintenance cost and FE must not be a concern.

Thread Starter #13
Which car is a long term investment? We plan to keep the car for at least 7 years. We will be booking sometime this month. We wouldn't mind waiting for a few months. Let's see what my dad thinks. The decision will be largely influenced by me though, as the car is for me.

Its a tough choice between i20 and Polo! Both are great cars to be driven and have that charisma to be driven by youths.

My pick would be i20 as i feel it maybe cheaper to own in the long run. But if you don mind paying that slight extra amount towards maintenance then Polo is surely a great car to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom