Buying Hyundai Elite i20: White or Silver?

Elite i20 - White vs Silver

• Silver

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • White

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hi all. [:D] I am planning to purchase a Elite i20 Asta CRDI but stuck on two colour choices. Personally I like white and second to it I like silver. Have seen many of them on Google and Delhi-NCR roads as well but still not able to decide.

I presently own a Swift white colour and the biggest concern are the scratches(which cannot be removed from rubbing) that we get on our cars because of bikers, cycles, other people taking left right shortcuts in traffic jams and parking lots. In owning a white car I faced problems like you can't get paint touching on just scratches at it looks extremely bad even worse than scratches. Secondly small parts if got fully painted from outside of authorised service centre mostly turns yellow or dull after some time. And its not reasonable(say economical) enough to get full bumpers or doors painted from service centre for just one or few scratches.

So my question is for all silver car owners can you please confirm the following-
1. Silver paint scratches can be easily removed by paint touchups on just scratches? (Post a closeup pic if available)
2. How prominent are the scratches on silver compared to white? (Post a closeup pic if available)
3. If paint job is done from outside of authorised service centre, did your paint turn out different in colour over time? Yellow, pale, dark, etc?
4. Which colour do you like the most and why? (Please restrict the answers to white and silver)

Last question-
I am planning to go for 3M for underbody coating and their 1year exterior package which consists of paint sealant, power shine and uv protection coatings. Apart from under body coating has anyone used these exterior coatings? Found any difference compared to your previous purchases?

Note: Pics asked above need not be just of Silver i20 but can be of any silver car with closeup of scratches/repairs just for reference.

Thanks in advance [:)]

Last edited:
Re: Elite i20 - White VS Silver

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/road-safety-driving-sense/6624-car-colours-accidents.html

Please go through this thread.

I was seeing a Red elite since few days ,it's roof was painted white by its owner. I miss took it for a. RRE, only after 3 days I happened to see it closely to know that it was a i20 elite!

Out of silver and white, I would suggest white, as silver starts loosing its glaze over a period of time.

AFA paint touch up is concerned both are equal when it comes to repair.

Last edited:

Welcome to TAI

I am not an owner of the Hyundai i20 or i don't have any silver cars.

Presently I own a Maruti Suzuki Ritz VDI (White) have the same problem like small dents due to the two wheelers in traffic so i have repainted it white as a whole after some major dents.

Silver Colour cars are best because
1. Silver colour in cars look majestic even if it is a small car.
2. Silver colour cars with dents are invisble (Dents, only the real big ones are visible).
3. Dust are not visible in silver coloured cars than the white cars.

But, the silver colour to any car gives you the majestic look than the white colour.

Thank you.

Thread Starter #4

Out of silver and white, I would suggest white, as silver starts loosing its glaze over a period of time.

Thanks for the reply. Yes thats a good point that white shines more than silver even after a long time, if kept in same conditions. And definitely, if touchup problems are same then white is a better.

Silver Colour cars are best because
1. Silver colour in cars look majestic even if it is a small car.
2. Silver colour cars with dents are invisble (Dents, only the real big ones are visible).
3. Dust are not visible in silver coloured cars than the white cars.
Thanks for the reply. True about the dust and dirt [:)]

Elite i 20 looks great in 2 colours basically- Red,Blue.
This is so as for saloons generally darker colour enhances the width of car while lighter ones showcast their length.

For your choice- I would definitely say to go for white as it is an easy one to get paint jobs easy. Silver colour also shows scratches really well.
White colour has only trouble in daily cleaning else its fine.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hello Chetan,

I have owned a Silver color Optra and at present own a Silver Esteem'06. Silver shade is easiest to maintain in NCR and maybe in majority of areas. I get the car wiped 2 times a day and in one wipe its gleaming. Paint Touch-up is easy in Silver too since in all metallic color these days Silver is the base color to provide that sparkle. So availability is not an issue either.

As for the White, Dust and Pollution are its biggest enemies and no matter how good care you or anyone shall take, White turns off-White. Paint touch up in White needs precision since touch up looks fresh in front of the overall White shade of the car. It looks pronounced. However, in Silver, this issue is arrested to a great extent.

Another issue with White is, NCR Traffic, you must have experienced it dear and in such heavy traffic nudges can't be avoided. In White, scratches look pronounced as compared to Silver.

So, as per my experience of 8.5 years with Silver, I vouch for its maintenance. Now, Coming to the 3M treatments, Its a known fact, they are hell expensive. Going for under body treatment is a personal choice and I am sure it will help since I own a Ivtec City that came with 3M treatment called "anti-rust". In the span of 3.5 years,haven't seen any rust on the car.

As for the external treatment, Honestly, IT IS A SHEER WASTE OF TIME and MONEY. My friend owns a Skoda Laura and took this yearly package and he was finding it not worth. It costed him around 21K. I know the owners of 3M Kailash Colony, and still won't advice you for external package from them.

Apart from that, All these external treatments et al are temporary. In the kind of traffic that we have here, no car can remain scratch free and if your 3M treated car receives a scratch, you will not like it at all. Hence, personally, I do not recommend PPF and external paint treatments from 3M not only for the cost but also because of their viability in NCR-Delhi conditions.

At the best, Once a month get a good detailing done from any good outlet like Steam n Shine or Notorious etc. That is more than sufficient. 3M's paint restoration as I paid for in my Esteem was 5K+ and within 15-20 days, the shine went away.

Rest, Welcome to TAI dear. Have a great time and do read the announcement section.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

I had done Meguir's paint sealant treatment for my car @3k, it gives shine, protects car paint from grazes due to bushes along side the road, tar marks occurred while travelling on a WIP road and. paint spoiling due to bird droppings etc. But you need to get a supplementary polish coat done from them every six months @1k approx.

As Akash has mentioned it gets vanished especially if hard water is used to wash the car.

Thread Starter #8

As for the White, Dust and Pollution are its biggest enemies and no matter how good care you or anyone shall take, White turns off-White. Paint touch up in White needs precision since touch up looks fresh in front of the overall White shade of the car. It looks pronounced. However, in Silver, this issue is arrested to a great extent.

Another issue with White is, NCR Traffic, you must have experienced it dear and in such heavy traffic nudges can't be avoided. In White, scratches look pronounced as compared to Silver.
Hi Akash, first of all thank you so much for replying in such good detailing. [clap]

And yes I presently feel the same problems with my white car which is now very difficult to maintain as per NCR traffic.

Going for under body treatment is a personal choice and I am sure it will help since I own a Ivtec City that came with 3M treatment called "anti-rust". In the span of 3.5 years,haven't seen any rust on the car.

As for the external treatment, Honestly, IT IS A SHEER WASTE OF TIME and MONEY. My friend owns a Skoda Laura and took this yearly package and he was finding it not worth. It costed him around 21K. I know the owners of 3M Kailash Colony, and still won't advice you for external package from them.

Apart from that, All these external treatments et al are temporary. In the kind of traffic that we have here, no car can remain scratch free and if your 3M treated car receives a scratch, you will not like it at all. Hence, personally, I do not recommend PPF and external paint treatments from 3M not only for the cost but also because of their viability in NCR-Delhi conditions.
I will surely get a underbody anti-rust treatment done. As it protects from rust over time and also reduces tyre-road noise with a good coating in wheel arch and underbody.

And yes I was thinking about that 3M Kailash Colony only, but really thanks for suggestion I will save my money.

And to protect car shine and from bird droppings etc I am now thinking to buy a bottle of Teflon Coating from DuPont(if available or any alternative) and get it applied on car every 6 months or every 12 months from any nearby car workshop with proper rotary buffing and required procedure. What do you think? Any suggestions or alternatives?

At the best, Once a month get a good detailing done from any good outlet like Steam n Shine or Notorious etc. That is more than sufficient.
Never heard about it. Can you suggest any outlet in Noida or Delhi? What they do and how much do they charge for it?

I had done Meguir's paint sealant treatment for my car @3k, it gives shine, protects car paint from grazes due to bushes along side the road, tar marks occurred while travelling on a WIP road and. paint spoiling due to bird droppings etc. But you need to get a supplementary polish coat done from them every six months @1k approx.

As Akash has mentioned it gets vanished especially if hard water is used to wash the car.
Yes as I mentioned above to Akash also I am thinking to go for teflon coatings on a regular 6 or 12 month interval. And yes here in NCR we have hard water and the daily cleaning is done by security guard of my place so u can understand how well he'll take care of my coatings. [roll]

Akash1886

Honoured Member

And to protect car shine and from bird droppings etc I am now thinking to buy a bottle of Teflon Coating from DuPont(if available or any alternative) and get it applied on car every 6 months or every 12 months from any nearby car workshop with proper rotary buffing and required procedure. What do you think? Any suggestions or alternatives?
I would suggest you to go through this guide Chetan for your detailing needs for the car.

Can you suggest any outlet in Noida or Delhi? What they do and how much do they charge for it?
In Noida, There is Ottozone by Fucon Technologies in Sector 8, Opp. Espirit Toyota. For Poly Glaze polish of whole car (Sedan) they charge 1200/-. Negotiate and give them INR 900-1000/- for a hatchback.

Then in Delhi, There is Notorious

In Indirapuram you have Klenz Car Care

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10

I would suggest you to go through this guide Chetan for your detailing needs for the car.

In Noida, There is Ottozone by Fucon Technologies in Sector 8, Opp. Espirit Toyota. For Poly Glaze polish of whole car (Sedan) they charge 1200/-. Negotiate and give them INR 900-1000/- for a hatchback.

Then in Delhi, There is Notorious

In Indirapuram you have Klenz Car Care

Regards

Akash
Thanks for all the links Akash. Indirapuram based Klenz car care centre will be the closest for me. And will Mr. Sanjay provide any discount on giving your reference? [;)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thanks for all the links Akash. Indirapuram based Klenz car care centre will be the closest for me. And will Mr. Sanjay provide any discount on giving your reference?
He'll give the discount no problem. He also is a member of our forum. So he should give. Now, You owe me a Diet Coke![lol]

Regards

Akash

Hi all. I am planning to purchase a Elite i20 Asta CRDI but stuck on two colour choices. Personally I like white and second to it I like silver. Have seen many of them on Google and Delhi-NCR roads as well but still not able to decide.

I presently own a Swift white colour and the biggest concern are the scratches(which cannot be removed from rubbing) that we get on our cars because of bikers, cycles, other people taking left right shortcuts in traffic jams and parking lots. In owning a white car I faced problems like you can't get paint touching on just scratches at it looks extremely bad even worse than scratches. Secondly small parts if got fully painted from outside of authorised service centre mostly turns yellow or dull after some time. And its not reasonable(say economical) enough to get full bumpers or doors painted from service centre for just one or few scratches.

So my question is for all silver car owners can you please confirm the following-
1. Silver paint scratches can be easily removed by paint touchups on just scratches? (Post a closeup pic if available)
2. How prominent are the scratches on silver compared to white? (Post a closeup pic if available)
3. If paint job is done from outside of authorised service centre, did your paint turn out different in colour over time? Yellow, pale, dark, etc?
4. Which colour do you like the most and why? (Please restrict the answers to white and silver)

Last question-
I am planning to go for 3M for underbody coating and their 1year exterior package which consists of paint sealant, power shine and uv protection coatings. Apart from under body coating has anyone used these exterior coatings? Found any difference compared to your previous purchases?

Note: Pics asked above need not be just of Silver i20 but can be of any silver car with closeup of scratches/repairs just for reference.

Thanks in advance [:)]
Welcome to TAI Mr.Chetan! I personally when for the first time saw the Elite in silver fell in love with it instantly. It looks amazing and when I went for the TD of Santa-Fe I also look at the Elite and MY GAWD was it gorgeous! BTW, the Silver in the Elite is a Metallic silver, so no matter what happens just give it a good swipe with a clean cloth and you will get back that shine which it previously had. Sorry to go a little off topic but here is an example ( real life one) I was convincing my mom and dad to go for the XUV in white because simply put it looked great in it! But when i saw nearly 4 XUV's which were white and had changed to off-white [surprise] Since then silver has been my favourite colour. But its looks extra special in the Elite and believe me, those diamond cut black and silver alloys will look fabulous in the silver shade. The white doesn't make it look special. IT looks majestic in Silver. I have a silver etios and my uncle has a white one. Unfortunately we both got the scratch in the same place and nowhere is the scratch as pronounced in the silver as it is on the white. And BTW, the 3m care etc are just a waste of money and time. In delhi you can't save yourself from getting dark because of the pollution so it really wouldn't help the car.I also think that white has too much politico and taxi image.
Good luck choosing.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/road-safety-driving-sense/6624-car-colours-accidents.html

Please go through this thread.

I was seeing a Red elite since few days ,it's roof was painted white by its owner. I miss took it for a. RRE, only after 3 days I happened to see it closely to know that it was a i20 elite!

Not if it is a silver metallic.

I also think that white has too much politico and taxi image. Replied to you in the bold too.

Hello Chetan,

I have owned a Silver color Optra and at present own a Silver Esteem'06. Silver shade is easiest to maintain in NCR and maybe in majority of areas. I get the car wiped 2 times a day and in one wipe its gleaming. Paint Touch-up is easy in Silver too since in all metallic color these days Silver is the base color to provide that sparkle. So availability is not an issue either.

So, as per my experience of 8.5 years with Silver, I vouch for its maintenance. Now, Coming to the 3M treatments, Its a known fact, they are hell expensive. Going for under body treatment is a personal choice and I am sure it will help since I own a Ivtec City that came with 3M treatment called "anti-rust". In the span of 3.5 years,haven't seen any rust on the car.

At the best, Once a month get a good detailing done from any good outlet like Steam n Shine or Notorious etc. That is more than sufficient. 3M's paint restoration as I paid for in my Esteem was 5K+ and within 15-20 days, the shine went away.

Rest, Welcome to TAI dear. Have a great time and do read the announcement section.

Regards

Akash
Very nicely explained sir, Im your permanent fan from now [clap]

Thread Starter #15
Welcome to TAI Mr.Chetan! I personally when for the first time saw the Elite in silver fell in love with it instantly. It looks amazing and when I went for the TD of Santa-Fe I also look at the Elite and MY GAWD was it gorgeous! BTW, the Silver in the Elite is a Metallic silver, so no matter what happens just give it a good swipe with a clean cloth and you will get back that shine which it previously had. Sorry to go a little off topic but here is an example ( real life one) I was convincing my mom and dad to go for the XUV in white because simply put it looked great in it! But when i saw nearly 4 XUV's which were white and had changed to off-white [surprise] Since then silver has been my favourite colour. But its looks extra special in the Elite and believe me, those diamond cut black and silver alloys will look fabulous in the silver shade. The white doesn't make it look special. IT looks majestic in Silver. I have a silver etios and my uncle has a white one. Unfortunately we both got the scratch in the same place and nowhere is the scratch as pronounced in the silver as it is on the white. And BTW, the 3m care etc are just a waste of money and time. In delhi you can't save yourself from getting dark because of the pollution so it really wouldn't help the car.I also think that white has too much politico and taxi image.
Good luck choosing.
Hi CarLoverJosh, thank you for sharing your real life experiences with silver. You guys are making me fall for silver. And yes I have faced the scratch problem with white colour, they look very prominent. I have not seen those diamond cut black and silver alloys on Elite i20 on-road but I also think it will look good. And those OEM chrome parts (handles, headlight chroming and front grill chrome border etc) looks best on silver car.

For all the viewers/followers/commenters of this thread I found this Elite i20 review by ZigWheels and it is the only detailed review done with Silver colour. So you guys may or may not listen to all details but please confirm how it looks. [glasses]

Thanks all [:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3_ahNQcHc

Top Bottom