Maruti Suzuki Celerio ZXi (O): Is It Worth My Money?

Thread Starter #1
Your Budget: (6L on road)

> New or Used: (New Car)

> Your Location: (Bangalore)

> Top Five Priorities: ( frugality, design,safety,comfort)

> Monthly Running: (500km)

> Type of Fuel: (petrol)

> For What Purpose: (office commute, and occasionally weekend getaway)

> Seating Capacity: (5 Adults)

> Type of Segment: (hatchback)
Hello good people of TAI,
As a first time buyer I seek help and advice from evangelists of TAI.
The car will be driven by me and wifey.. Both are new to car driving. Till now we have been enjoying the zip zap zoom of two wheeler.
I am looking a car for daily office commute mostly(1person).. Occasional weekend getaway (2or 4 person).
A top priority is hassle free ownership experience because I am so new.
For interior comfort I am OK with front power windows, power steering and an audio system.
Safety equipment will be good have and I am trying my best to opt for safest.. But budget...
After checking car comparison sites I think celerio is OK for my needs.wife and i are neutral about celerio.. It trumps on frugality otherwise I am not impressed with the car. I am afraid
It would be a lack lustre relationship... Strictly professional.
I want to keep the car for at least 7yrs.
I am confused if celerio zxi optional is worth my money..
Other cars which are swaying my decision are
Swift vxi (brand value, better engine)
I cant go wrong with this one .
I like it but home minister is against it. Too common, she says.

Punto evo 1.2active(looks, looks ,looks, build quality )
Not sure about its engine.. Because people buy the mjd in punto.
And I know it would be far from being frugal.

Grand i10 magna (looks, brand value, feature rich package)
Wife likes it ,I don't.

Thanks..

Re: celerio zxi (o) is it worth my money

Why can't you check out the Maruti Suzuki Wagon R as your driving would be within city limits and with one or two occasional drives.

And Maruti Suzuki Wagon R is more taller, spacious, cheaper than the Maruti Suzuki celerio so that it is spacious for 5 Adults and Maruti Suzuki Wagon R gives you a bigger amount of boot space than the Maruti Suzuki Celerio.

But if you are looking for a compact car like the Celerio then do test drive the lower or the middle variants of the Honda Brio (Has 1.2 Lit. under the hood) as well as the Hyundai Eon (Has 1.0 Lit. as well as the 0.8 Lit. under the hood).

So Choose your engine option after the test drives.

Thank you.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Swift vxi (brand value, better engine)
Hi Pravir,

Zero Safety in Petro Vx Swift. Until you buy a Vd Swift with ABS and EBD, Swift has no meaning. Safety is one of the main concerns!

Are you bound on Hatchbacks only? Why not considering the sub-4m segment where you can have Zest, Xcent and Dzire?

Face-lift of Dzire is coming soon i.e in a month's time!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4
Why can't you check out the Maruti Suzuki Wagon R as your driving would be within city limits and with one or two occasional drives.
Thank you sir , but with most polite tone I want to say that me and wife both are dead sure of not looking as wagonr/stingray as an option.. I acknowledge the point that wagonr is a very practical car and is a fav of many here. No offence meant .

Hi Pravir,

Zero Safety in Petro Vx Swift. Until you buy a Vd Swift with ABS and EBD, Swift has no meaning. Safety is one of the main concerns!

Are you bound on Hatchbacks only? Why not considering the sub-4m segment where you can have Zest, Xcent and Dzire?
Thanks Akash, I understand the safety concern in swift vxi.. But then i tell myself like so many Indians who are on a budget , I will also live without airbags and abs. And It is a shame ...I know. Our car companies don't value lives. It is a bitter fact.
I am looking for hatchbacks only because i don't feel confident that I can handle compact sedan as a first car. And when I think about my wife driving compact sedan I think it will be good if we start with a hatchback. Compact sedan seems an overkill to me.

But if you are looking for a compact car like the Celerio then do test drive the lower or the middle variants of the Honda Brio (Has 1.2 Lit. under the hood) as well as the Hyundai Eon (Has 1.0 Lit. as well as the 0.8 Lit. under the hood).

So Choose your engine option after the test drives.

Thank you.
Brio has the smallest boot. And this fact will pinch hard when I will go for weekend getaway or even to pickup parents from airport. I believe this car is good for people who already have a car at home.
Never considered eon as friends and family have given not so good feedback for it.

I was interested in Ritz zxi but I am not sure about the future of car in India. In European market it is already stalled..its sales are dwindling in our market as well. I fear just like a star and estillo, it will be stopped here as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

If it is for the purpose of airport pick ups then i would suggest you to consider the lowest petrol version of the TATA Zest.

But, if the TATA Zest is out of your budget then you consider the TATA indigo ecs (GVX) petrol version. And please have a look at the petrol version of the Fiat Punto evo.

Do list cars of your choice which you like.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I understand the safety concern in swift vxi.. But then i tell myself like so many Indians who are on a budget , I will also live without airbags and abs. Our car companies don't value lives.
I am looking for hatchbacks only because i don't feel confident that I can handle compact sedan as a first car. And when I think about my wife driving compact sedan I think it will be good if we start with a hatchback.
Pravir, Cars are not something that a person buys daily like grocery. It is imperative that a calculated and wise decision should be made to buy the right car. Do not waste your hard earned money on something you repent later on. Overcome this thought of unable to handle a compact sedan as its not about handling a specific car rather its more of your own lack of confidence. I don't think until you develop the confidence of driving a car, you can handle even a hatchback. Whether its compact sedan or entry-hatch or premium hatch, all require same amount of confidence and skills. Today, the price margin between a sub-4m segment car and the hatchback segment is shrinking so owners do get a good choice. I would still say, do not take a fast decision, think and re-think then make your decision.

If Indian companies do not value our lives, Who has stopped us to value our lives? Don't depend on companies, depend on your own mind. For a car company its all about sale whether you buy a Sedan, hatchback or SUV.

Regards

Akash

Wagon R gives you a bigger amount of boot space than the Maruti Suzuki Celerio.
Thank you.
Sorry! WagonR has smaller boot space (180L) than Celerio. Old waggie had a bigger boot.
WagonR scores on the leg and head room, though.
Celerio seems a good package, two of my friends are getting the car this week.One of them is option for Vxi Manual and the other has gone for Zxi.

Last edited:
Celerio is worth as it wears the maruthi tag. It's a good car to own, but you need to make compromises in terms of rear bench and seating comfort. I wouldn't suggest swift without ABS/ebd as the l and v variants have poor brakes. My first recommendation for you is Zest. gues XM variant has got abs/ebd and you may need to extend your budget bitmore. It's the only entry level sedan which can seat 5 people comfortablly. If you are unsure about Tata service/maintainece, you can opt for wagon r

my suggestion is

1. zest
2. brio
3. wagon r.
4. celerio.

ABS topics has been chewed to death by our memebers, one end you have high end cars with all safety features getting crashed and other end you have trucks/bus drivers riding for years without any so called safety/control features. Expertise and Luck are two separate entities. And both should mix up well for safe driving

Thread Starter #9

Pravir, Cars are not something that a person buys daily like grocery. It is imperative that a calculated and wise decision should be made to buy the right car. Do not waste your hard earned money on something you repent later on. Overcome this thought of unable to handle a compact sedan. I would still say, do not take a fast decision, think and re-think then make your decision......
If Indian companies do not value our lives, Who has stopped us to value our lives? Don't depend on companies, depend on your own mind.
Thanks Akash, and that is exactly why I put up this thread. Even though I have zeroed on celerio zxi optional, I felt that I wanted to reaccess my desicion. I will try to loose the fear of handling sedan. But then again I can't buy safest sub compact unless I increase budget. Tata zest is good vfm.

Another car which comes to mind is Micra active safety pack.
Has airbags, abs, end, decent boot. After sales service is an issue..
Anybody here owns Micra active? I would like to know their experiences.

Polo base version also have airbags but no abs.
Punto 1.2dynamic has abs but no airbags.
Tata bolt also is a serious contender.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I will try to loose the fear of handling sedan. But then again I can't buy safest sub compact unless I increase budget. Tata zest is good vfm.
Buying is the next step, first overcome your "fear"!

Tata bolt also is a serious contender.
Ya that's a nice pick surely. However do note, The BOLT does not come with Airbags in Base and XM variant but the XM variant has ABS, EBD and Corner Stability.

The airbags come in XMS and XT Variants. Here is my Test Drive Review of BOLT XT

Regards

Akash

Thanks Akash, and that is exactly why I put up this thread. Even though I have zeroed on celerio zxi optional, I felt that I wanted to reaccess my desicion. I will try to loose the fear of handling sedan.
If this is the only concern you have regarding Sedans, let me tell you its a matter of few days!. Be it an SUV or Sedan once you start driving you will easily get in ease with it. Yes, your other point is also valid, you may need to extend your budget a bit to get a sedan with safety features. But again you said you are planning it for 7 years. So my humble suggestion is think wise, be future proof![:)].

why not hatchbacks like i10 grand, chevy sail-UVA, CHEVY beat, CHEVY Spark, TATA Bolt, TATA Zest rev-tron, I20 petrol, nissan micra, Renault Pulse, ford Figo petrol. i think best value for money is beat. it has style it has safety also at your said budget may be tad more but yes it does come with safety features has a decent boot space. the engine is perky. BOLT is a very good contender its fresh in the market good reviews as well. my choice would be BOLT or BEAT or I10 grand( Though havent driven the petrol version in this)

Pravir17@

There is not a single complete car. Each car lacks something.

The best car possible currently in your budget is Grand i10.

Ritz is the second best.it feel like a better built car than other maruti's. Since you are going to use it for 7 years, do not worry about resale value. it is a maruti, do not worry about spare parts too.

Swift lacks rear seat space and boot. Otherwise it is a good option.You can check out Dzire lower varients also.

If you dont have any allergy[lol] towards Tata brand check out Zest & bolt. Both are good car. petrol engine comes with turbo. Milage is average as far as i heard.

An updated version of Honda brio will come sooner i think. except the rear glass hatch door and tiny boot, brio is a good car.

Celerio is the best car available in 1000 cc segment. it feels better than Wagon r. It has bigger size tires, stiffer suspension and more width in rear seat than wagon r . Eon & Alto 1000Cc s are smaller cars.

Dont go for figo, punto, Indigo, vista petrols, They are best in diesels only.

Last edited:
My words here,
Celereo is highly overpriced. Look for Ritz Vxi with ABS. If your monthly running is only 500 Km,frugality never comes to picture.
If you are running short distances ,the mileage of the car will be less.
As a celereio,Ritz and Swift owner I can say Ritz is the best bet here.
You can also think about the new Bolt ,Grand i10 etc for a change.
Please do the TD and take a desicion.

Thread Starter #15
@releesh
Thanks , after reading lot of forums I have decided to stick to Maruti , Hyundai cars. Their reach in our country cannot be ignored. I am still reading about tata cars and ownership experiences. And because zest and bolt look very tempting offerings and I will update here after I take TD of tata cars.
@generalmax
Thanks,initially I was thinking about Ritz only and I have taken test drive of Ritz at Sagar auto BG road but I wasnt that impressed. It could be because the TD vehicle was in a bad condition. I will try at some different showroom. Also after thinking and rethinking I am now making up my mind towards swift zxi.. I will have to increase the budget though but I feel overall it will be a better deal.

Top Bottom