Used Nissan Terrano 110 PS vs New Nissan Terrano 85 PS or Any Other?

Thread Starter #1
Recently, I am in market for a car with Rs 9.5 to 11. 5 L budget, Car would be used on Pune city roads(20 %, farms (can't be called as pure off road) 20 %) and on highways & Ghats in Sahyadri ranges (60 %)
Requirements :
Should be a 5 &1/2 seater.
Need to give driving pleasure,
GC must be good.
Need to have ABS and at least driver's Air bag.
It has to be diesel.
FE should be approx 20 kmpl.
Since, I found ingress & egress more comfortable for me in Terrano than Duster & I don't like the looks of the Duster, I have finalised Nissan Terrano 85 PS or used Nissan Terrano 110 PS.

Help me choosing between these two.
Also let me know common known problems & solutions for these cars.

I am going to purchase one more car after a year or so which would be a 4 seater with good GC and I will start new thread for the same in future.

firstly are you getting an used 110 terrano, if yes at what offers.
No doubt the 110 would be great on highways compared to 85ps look for 110.Whats the price difference between two if going for the new purchase?

Terrano 110PS is surely a great car, but you will have to compromise on FE in CITY.
Coz 110PS is slightly overpower in CITY traffic.

I agree, one has to compramise on FE when focus is on power. However 110ps is a mean machine it sure gets your adrenaline rushing for speed:biggrin:

85ps variant has better driveability(less turbo lag) than 110ps which will benefit you in city roads. But the extra cog and ps will surely reward you in highway. Choose your pick.

For driving pleasure, if you are ok with used ones can I suggest XUV500.

Thread Starter #7
Ecosport was my suggestion,but you have mentioned 5 1/2 seater,else it is definitely a value for money
+, I felt ES is overpriced (Titanium diesel 11.5L) due to various price revisions and felt once Abarth Avventura enters the market, prices are likely to get decreased. Also we didn't liked the hard ride quality over the supple ride of Terrano.

firstly are you getting an used 110 terrano, if yes at what offers.
Yes, 2014 manufactured and 7 k km on odo, @12.5 L (quoted by the owner)

No doubt the 110 would be great on highways compared to 85 PS.
I specifically want to know, on Sahyadri Ghat sections with 5 +1/2 occupants and luggage, 85 PS would be felt underpowered or not.
Whats the price difference between two if going for the new purchase?
85 PS Top end, OTR Rs 12.8 L and Rs 13.3 L if last month scheme of Rs 50k does not continue.
110 PS Top end OTR Rs 14. 5 L and Rs 15 L if Rs 50 k scheme doesn't continue.

@incarnation, how much would be difference in FE?

Last edited:
Whether buying a used or a new Terrano, please do a lot of research and careful thinking. Terrano/Duster are from the same production line in Chennai and India made and sold Dusters have encountered a lot of Rusting issues at the wheel assembly and at the door joints on the chassis/frame. In fact, India built Dusters have not been exported to UK by Renault because of these problems. As Renault have not really recalled their cars, you have to be very cautious. A lot of people have reported problems on both older and factory-fresh cars. Dont take the Sales Advisor's soothing words as the maxim. I would be extremely wary of buying Terrano or Duster unless I have an official communication regarding this from Nissan/Renault.

Thread Starter #11
Hi, all.
Search begins again.

Now got to see two Diesel 110 PS Terrano Topend, both run approx 50000 km, one model is manufactured in 2014 (Rs 12 L qouted by owner ) other 2113 manufactured (Rs 9.8 L qouted by used car dealer ) New Topend diesel 110 PS costs approx 15 L OTR.

There are two more Diesel 85PS Terrano both run approx 9 kkm, one is 2013 manufacturered, XLD (Rs 10.75 L qouted by owner, new XLD costs Rs 13 L OTR ) other is 2014 manufactured, XL Plus (Rs 12 L qouted by owner, New car costs 13.3L OTR ).

Please share your thoughts.
Car will run with 5 +1/2 occupants +luggage on highways & Ghat section twice or thrice in year for picnics 1 to 2 kkm each time, and I will be driving during these picnics .
Rest of the time it will run with two people on board with moderate luggage,and my father would be driving.

So, what's your suggestions? 85 PS or 110 PS.?

Are there any ways to improve power of the 85 PS Terrano? such as tuning box or Remap?

Last edited:
Hi, all.
Search begins again.

Now got to see two Diesel 110 PS Terrano Topend, both run approx 50000 km, one model is manufactured in 2014 (Rs 12 L qouted by owner ) other 2113 manufactured (Rs 9.8 L qouted by used car dealer ) New Topend diesel 110 PS costs approx 15 L OTR.

There are two more Diesel 85PS Terrano both run approx 9 kkm, one is 2013 manufacturered, XLD (Rs 10.75 L qouted by owner, new XLD costs Rs 13 L OTR ) other is 2014 manufactured, XL Plus (Rs 12 L qouted by owner, New car costs 13.3L OTR ).

Please share your thoughts.
Car will run with 5 +1/2 occupants +luggage on highways & Ghat section twice or thrice in year for picnics 1 to 2 kkm each time, and I will be driving during these picnics .
Rest of the time it will run with two people on board with moderate luggage,and my father would be driving.

So, what's your suggestions? 85 PS or 110 PS.?

Are there any ways to improve power of the 85 PS Terrano? such as tuning box or Remap?
@Tornado, I dont know why you want to spend 11-12 lac on a used car when you can get a spanking new car for 1-2 lac more. I went for the 2015 Duster over Terrano because the apart from the front grille, I dont believe the 110 Terrano is VFM over 110 Duster. Duster has the better HU (Media Nav) and a couple more features like Eco mode, Cruise control . The top-end Duster also has leather seats and improved interior fit-finish. The ergonomic niggles are the same for both Duster and Terrano (ORVM adjustment, AC controls).

Plus the Terrano 110 has that rear tower which intrudes into the rear legspace. You can get the 110 Duster without one and it doesnt make a huge difference to cooling.
More importantly, the Duster 110 2WD has been tuned to reduce the turbo lag , similar to the 110 PS AWD engine . I just felt a little more comfortable buying the Original over the derivative.
Finally, I already have a Nissan Micra from the same dealer in Pune (Shiv Nissan) so having something from sister brand felt better[:)].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Most importantly, I found height of the Terrano approx 1 inch lesser than Duster, and due to that Ifound lesser body roll in case of Terrano which would be helpful for my wife who is always worried about motion sickness. Over all ride quality is better for me in Terrano.
Budget is also a concern hence looking for used cars. Amongst used cars Duster owners expect a premium for Duster being good selling car as compared to Terrano.

Though, the difference is 1 to 2 lakhs between used & new, expecting it to be increase to 3 L @ bargaining.

As of now, feeling like going with 85 PS, as it is better drive on Ghat & broken rural roads. Only problem would be speeds above 100 to 110, on highways, especially overtaking at these speeds. But my father hardly allows me to do more than 110 when all are on board.

My father & all in the family liked looks of Terrano over duster.

Midline hump /tower is not a problem because most of the time the 5 th seat would be occupied by my son (now 9 years).
Also, 6th half seat in the boot fascinates my daughter who otherwise demands front seat.!

Most importantly, I found height of the Terrano approx 1 inch lesser than Duster, and due to that Ifound lesser body roll in case of Terrano which would be helpful for my wife who is always worried about motion sickness. Over all ride quality is better for me in Terrano.
Budget is also a concern hence looking for used cars. Amongst used cars Duster owners expect a premium for Duster being good selling car as compared to Terrano.

Though, the difference is 1 to 2 lakhs between used & new, expecting it to be increase to 3 L @ bargaining.

As of now, feeling like going with 85 PS, as it is better drive on Ghat & broken rural roads. Only problem would be speeds above 100 to 110, on highways, especially overtaking at these speeds. But my father hardly allows me to do more than 110 when all are on board.

My father & all in the family liked looks of Terrano over duster.

Midline hump /tower is not a problem because most of the time the 5 th seat would be occupied by my son (now 9 years).
Also, 6th half seat in the boot fascinates my daughter who otherwise demands front seat.!
Buy a Terrano if you must, but your point about Terrano having less body roll due to lower height may not hold. The difference in height is not equivalent to the difference between a Terrano and Scorpio or Storme, which may warrant motion sickness concerns. Both Terrano and Duster are monocoque designs and, under the skin, are mechanically identical. So there should be no difference to ride and handling, how much ever Nissan dealers may try to convince you. On the 110 PS, you will experience lesser turbo lag on the Duster, since they have retuned the engine for 2015. In fact, they have also retuned the 85BHP engine for better power response . Not sure if Nissan has done the the same for Terrano. The Terrano clutch was lighter to begin with, and Renault has implemented the same for all versions beginning with the AWD.

Terrano if you are absolutely smitten with the looks. But I would still question any amount of premium you would pay over the Duster. And also question the purpose of holding back on 1-2 lacs when you can get brand new cars with full warranty. Your call, though !

PS: Body roll/ride quality is a prime concern for me too, since my mother wears a neck collar for spondylsis. I have taken those factors into account when choosing a Duster over lets say, an XUV or Scorpio. If you want the absolute Mt Everest of ride quality, go for Duster AWD. I did not, because I did not have off roading as my primary requirement. In my opinion (after multiple test drives), the difference in ride quality between 2WD Duster and AWD Duster on normal/broken roads is about 1-2%. Off road, it may be 5-10 % (not counting the 4WD capability).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
I have not ruled out duster, but would prefer Terrano.
I would go for used one, only if it is making substantial difference in price. Certainly, not for one or two lakhs.

Top Bottom