Automatic Transmission Car Selection

Thread Starter #1
Hi folks,
my first post on AI-

I am looking for a new AT. This will be my first car.Have a requirement for
1) decent fuel economy
2 )Decent space for 4 adults (2 elderly ones at back)
3) reasonable maintenance
4) Reasonable boot space
5) Decent resale value.
6)Having ABS and airbags for safety.

Have shortlisted Alto K10,Brio and Grand I-10.Budget is around 6 L. .
but I would feel much happier if I can burden my pocket less [:D]

I am from Kolkata. mostly I would drive the car inside the city and sometimes in the highway, specially in the weekends.

Please let me know your recommendations. Also let me know ,if I am missing any car.

Thanks,
Anindya

Re: Automatic car selection

I would suggest you to go for Maruti series as the service network is very good and also re-sale value is high but quality vise Hyundai and Honda stand one step ahead but service and resale value you little less.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

my first post on AI-

I am looking for a new AT. This will be my first car.Have a requirement for
1) decent fuel economy
2 )Decent space for 4 adults (2 elderly ones at back)
3) reasonable maintenance
4) Reasonable boot space
5) Decent resale value.
6)Having ABS and airbags for safety.

Have shortlisted Alto K10,Brio and Grand I-10.Budget is around 6 L. .
Anindya Hi, A slight correction dear, its not AI. Its T.A.I i.e The Automotive India.

Based on the above requirements you either go for Grand i10 or AMT Alto. As your budget is for 6L, do consider, AMT Zest also. Have a chat with fellow members who own a Zest.

All the best and welcome to TAI.

Regards

Akash

Have shortlisted Alto K10,Brio and Grand I-10.Budget is around 6 L. Please let me know your recommendations. Also let me know ,if I am missing any car.
What about adding Maruti Celerio, Ritz and Nissan Micra AT variants to your list to do a TD?. BTW the title of this thread is a little confusing IMO, it seems the thread is about some soft tool to find the car you are looking for by entering the price range and features needed [:D].

I think @anindya82 has mentioned ABS and Airbags. How much is this a priority for you? IMO, it should be of the highest order. And if so, than your choice should really be only between the Brio and Micra CVT. None of the other cars , AFAIK have both ABS and Airbags in the segment you are looking at. I own a Micra CVT, and have done 10000 trouble free kms. My daily running is around 40km, and it gives me around 14-15 kmpl in Pune's congested traffic. Micra has better boot and cabin space than the Brio, and my parents certainly liked it better. The Brio has slightly more power (77 vs 87 bhp), but in our driving condition it doesnt matter at all. Both have almost the same torque.
Take your pick.

Thread Starter #6
I think grand i10 also has ABS and airbags. pls suggest.

I would suggest you to go for Maruti series as the service network is very good and also re-sale value is high but quality vise Hyundai and Honda stand one step ahead but service and resale value you little less.
Maruti does not have ABS and airbags..Since I will be driving the car,I am thinking of my personal safety and hence want to have ABS and airbags..please suggest. I have also read here that from oct2015,Indian govt is making mandatory for ABS and other security measures.so if I buy a non ABS car,will the car manufacturer convert the car to ABS with some cost..so will that be a good step..
I am looking for ABS and airbags since I have heard that 1 out of 5 accidents can be avoided with ABS and airbags..
please advice..

I think @anindya82 has mentioned ABS and Airbags. How much is this a priority for you? IMO, it should be of the highest order. And if so, than your choice should really be only between the Brio and Micra CVT. None of the other cars , AFAIK have both ABS and Airbags in the segment you are looking at. I own a Micra CVT, and have done 10000 trouble free kms. My daily running is around 40km, and it gives me around 14-15 kmpl in Pune's congested traffic. Micra has better boot and cabin space than the Brio, and my parents certainly liked it better. The Brio has slightly more power (77 vs 87 bhp), but in our driving condition it doesnt matter at all. Both have almost the same torque.
Take your pick.
but Micra is a bit more costly,right?
also,I would not be travelling daily.I would travel mostly on weekend and sometimes on weekday..pls suggest.

Anindya Hi, A slight correction dear, its not AI. Its T.A.I i.e The Automotive India.

Based on the above requirements you either go for Grand i10 or AMT Alto. As your budget is for 6L, do consider, AMT Zest also. Have a chat with fellow members who own a Zest.

All the best and welcome to TAI.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash..Initially I was going for alto..I am quite impressed by the manual and automatic options available and it fitted my budget too..but since I am looking for more security,I am looking for ABS and airbags,I had to increase my budget :( and that's y mentioned those names.is it possible to add ABS and airbags after buying the car?because ABS is much of a sensor,I believe..
no idea about zest..will take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maruti does not have ABS and airbags..Since I will be driving the car,I am thinking of my personal safety and hence want to have ABS and airbags..please suggest..I have also read here that from oct2015,Indian govt is making mandatory for ABS and other security measures.so if I buy a non ABS car,will the car manufacturer convert the car to ABS with some cost..so will that be a good step..
I am looking for ABS and airbags since I have heard that 1 out of 5 accidents can be avoided with ABS and airbags..
please advice..
Yes maruti is new to automatic section but maintenance low compare other brand.

If you need ABS and Airbag just go for Hyundai as the built quality is good and couple of time i visited the factory and monitored the process of quality check and key factors its spec are good but only drawback is maintenance is high as my colleague's own Hyundai cars very high maintenance even service centre's are less.

Zest has many minor fault's in the built like mud is engine bay etc so you have to think a while before going to it.

Yes maruti is new to automatic section but maintenance low compare other brand.

If you need ABS and Airbag just go for Hyundai as the built quality is good and couple of time i visited the factory and monitored the process of quality check and key factors its spec are good but only drawback is maintenance is high as my colleague's own Hyundai cars very high maintenance even service centre's are less.

Zest has many minor fault's in the built like mud is engine bay etc so you have to think a while before going to it.
@anindya82- please note that the Automatic Grand i-10 DOES NOT have ABS & airbags both together. Only two cars, Brio -VX version and Micra-CVT (only one version in automatic) have ABS and Airbags. Micra may seem a bit costly, but its virtues outweigh the costs. It is really a complete automatic hatchback for anyone who needs safety, space and comfort for 4 people. And one more thing, in case you TD it and look at the specs for ground clearance, it says 154mm. Dont be alarmed. From what I understand it is the GC under fully laden conditions and even then, my Micra has never ever scraped any speed breaker, and there are plenty of big ones in Pune. Spend a bit more, and you wont regret it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

NO, after market equipment is firstly not available easily, neither it can be accurately fixed afterwards and it would void the warranty.

Regards

Akash
I saw here that after oct 2015,abs and airbags are must.just wondering how non abs and airbag cars will be made abs and airbag car..

I saw here that after oct 2015,abs and airbags are must.just wondering how non abs and airbag cars will be made abs and airbag car..
Authorities have given time till 2017 for OEM s, to add the safety features in cars sold before Oct 2015. As many people will need to upgrade their cars, lets hope they will come out with some cost effective solution![frustration]. But yes, as this thread is concerned, it is better to go with a car equipped with ABS and airbags, as Oct 2015 is not too far. There going to be a big drop in resale prices of present models and big boom in new carsales post October.

Thread Starter #12

@anindya82- please note that the Automatic Grand i-10 DOES NOT have ABS & airbags both together. Only two cars, Brio -VX version and Micra-CVT (only one version in automatic) have ABS and Airbags. Micra may seem a bit costly, but its virtues outweigh the costs. It is really a complete automatic hatchback for anyone who needs safety, space and comfort for 4 people. And one more thing, in case you TD it and look at the specs for ground clearance, it says 154mm. Dont be alarmed. From what I understand it is the GC under fully laden conditions and even then, my Micra has never ever scraped any speed breaker, and there are plenty of big ones in Pune. Spend a bit more, and you wont regret it.
I think Maruti Ritz automatic also has ABS and airbags..how about Ritz?

I think Maruti Ritz automatic also has ABS and airbags..how about Ritz?
Please check out the Ritz specifications. It doesnt have airbags.
Ritz - Features, Specs, Review, Picture Gallery, Mileage and Price

I have purchased the Micra CVT after considering all these options. I was really keen on Grand I-10 but was disappointed on learning it doesnt have ABS & airbags both. That will be a priority in all future purchases for me. Brio was good, but Micra felt even better in terms of build quality and boot space.

Another thing about Brio vs Micra. The Brio AT (5-speed conventional torque convertor) seems to hunt gears at points in time on the road. It may tend to oscillate between higher and lower gears on a frequent basis. In contrast, the Micra CVT may have a slight rubber band effect to begin with, but if you "feather" the accelerator (give it continuous light inputs) as opposed to stomp it down, the Micra responds smoother and yields better fuel efficiency.

Top Bottom