In Market For a Used Car (Hatchback / Sedan)

Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

This time I'm in market looking for a used car (for my in-laws)

Budget : 2~2.5L
Body Type : Hatch / Sedan
Monthly Usage : <1000km
Usage pattern : 75% City (Inside Coimbatore) / 25% Highway
Fuel Type : Petrol (without a second thought)

Priorities:
- Comfortable 4 seater
- Decent FE (anything over 10kmpl)
- Average Maintenance

Cars not considered (for various reasons) and will not be considered
- Alto
- Wagon-R
- Zen / Estilo
- Spark
- Beat
- Santro
- Eon
- Ikon
- Accent
- Baleno
- Optra
- Esteem

Cars Considered:
- Swift
- Ritz
- i10
- Punto
- City ZX
- SX4

I have experience with City.
1) How about the maintenance of other cars in the list (with around 50k on odo)?
2) Should I consider something else aswell?
3) Anything specific to look for w.r.t each cars in the list?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: In market for a Used car (HB/Sedan)

Satish, looking for a SX4 in 2-2.5 Lac bracket, I guess that would be tough. Any thoughts of i20? You may also check on any 2011 make Honda Brio, that can too fix in line with your budget. Do give a good thought on City, i10 & Punto.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I'll say fo for the i10 or a brio.

Swift will demand more money and i don't think the cars that i mentioned are that bad to be left out.

About the service - my i10 is near 70k the last i checked. I didn't have any mechanical failures but some parts needed to be changed because of accidents.

Points to be checked -

Ac - the i10's ac coil tends to fail after 2 Years. Don't know if it's a problem in my car or a general problem in i10. Get the car's ac checked. A very low hissing sound will come from the ac vents if the coil is leaking.
Damage - 3700 rs from hyundai.

The steering rattle - look for any spring like noise coming from near the steering area. Also when the car is stationary turn the wheel both the sides and check if there's a hard sound for the first time or not.

Other than this i don't think there's any problem with the car.

Mileage is 12kmpl with 100% Ac. Hardly goes in the 5th gear.

You can check my thread for detailed service reports and you will see most of them were accidental replacement.

Clucth set cost - 5500 rs from hyundai. Normal service is anywhere between 1200-2000 rupees every 6 months from a local mechanic with all the necessary things.

Other than i10 i can only think of the brio.

Thread Starter #4

Satish, looking for a SX4 in 2-2.5 Lac bracket, I guess that would be tough. Any thoughts of i20? You may also check on any 2011 make Honda Brio, that can too fix in line with your budget.
Looking at the market here I feel SX4 is easy to find than a Brio [surprise] Brio is definitely a great car, but finding one within this budget is next to impossible here (Coimbatore) If I could get one, we will definitely go for it. Same for i20 as well. Couldn't find one below 3.5L
I'll say fo for the i10 or a brio.
Swift will demand more money
Thanks for the brief explanation buddy.
Swift petrol demands much premium than the diesel sibling now.

Came across few vehicles through a known and trusted dealer at Coimbatore last evening
1) 2007 Swift VXi
67k on odo, 2nd Owner, Chennai Registration - asking price 3.25L. Vehicle was pretty neat inside out and claimed to be accident free, but Front windshield was of 2014 make and 2 side glasses were 2012 made. Almost complete body is repainted. Without asking for the reason and TD moved to the next car
2) 2008 Swift VXi
43k on odo, 1st Owner, Coimbatore registration - asking price 4L, final price 3.8L. No words, left out
3) 2007 i10 Era
62k on odo, 2nd Owner - asking price 2.7L. No body panel is left out without a scratch / dent (including the roof) again ruled out

saw few cars in Olx & Quikr, Looking good in photographs with a decent price tag. Will check them in person today.

i20 as well as brio would be difficult to get in this price range, i have seen them going over the budget they are looking at.
i10, AHC gave you the brief details to check if you go for this car.Brio would be good too if you can get hold of.
Honda city 2007 and around you might be able to get around 3L range.
Swift always have premium but keep looking at.My cousins lxi with cng kit ran above 85k in 5 years went for 2.85L.

I think Punto will be Good in here.Because Fiat has low Resale Value and is also a great Car.I own an Optra which has not run more than 61K Kms all these 11 Years.It's a good Car and Mileage is also Good.As you know,Optras have one of the most Comfy Seats next to Amby and also Ride Quality is Top-notch from it's Competetion.You can have a Good hard look over this Car as It is very Cheap to get.Rs.1.5 Lakhs can fetch you the Top-end Model with 2 Airbags,ABS,6 CD Changer,FF Alloy Wheels,Sunroof.etc.My father got this Optra LS for 1.8 Lakhs,6 Years Back as Used Car.He loved every bit of her ! And to all who say,Chevy has high Maintainence,I am Honestly saying,She never gave us problems on the Highways,Loved cruising at 120-140 Km/h..Pretty Stable.I will be going to Palakkad which is Under 500 KMs from our House.Small Money,Great Car.Maintainence was Low too.Except normal Service every 3 Months.That too because I love the car.

City is an Awesome Car.Try to get your hands on the OHC vTec and You are the happiest man on Earth !,Sir.Great Performance,Honda Reliability,Not Sure about Maintainence and Mileage.Can expect more than 8 Kmpl in City.Maintainence also on the Normal Side.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Looking at the market here I feel SX4 is easy to find than a Brio Brio is definitely a great car, but finding one within this budget is next to impossible here (Coimbatore) If I could get one, we will definitely go for it.
Satish, If its easy to get a SX4 then nothing like it. I have recently got one from my sister for next 2 years. Its a Vxi petrol variant. The best thing I found in it was the rear seat comfort and the egress and ingress comfort. Good ground clearance is a unparalleled advantage from it. I am awaiting your decision dear. All the best.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
@Bharath: Optra is already out of the list (almost all GMs)
OHC vtec is one master piece, but finding a good specimen is next to impossible, even if it is available, it will cost a hand and leg. If the car is for my personal use, with blind eyes I will go for it (earlier I had an impression OHC will be expensive to maintain, but after seeing few happy customers I stand corrected) In-laws were not interested towards decade old machines.

@Akash: Found one good example of SX4 sir. Will let you know the decision after TD (may be by this Wednesday / Thursday. I will be out of town for next couple of days)

Last edited:
even I was looking for a used car few days ago. I visited maruti's true value near my office and found a white I10 booked it after a long inspection and negotiation. They are also offering huge discounts and freebies as 2014 end. Going to get it tomorrow[:D]
If you want piece of mind on used car I would recommend a well examined car by experts.

bhvm

Honoured Member
for 2.5 lac budget better look for i10,brio, ritz. these are A segment cars.

if you're looking for B or C segment ( honda city ) it'll be in very old and tattered conditions. remember, an 8 lac car stays 8 lac even if you buy it at 3lac and demands maintainace like an 8 lac car!

Thread Starter #13
even I was looking for a used car few days ago. I visited maruti's true value near my office and found a white I10 booked it after a long inspection and negotiation. They are also offering huge discounts and freebies as 2014 end. Going to get it tomorrow[:D]
If you want piece of mind on used car I would recommend a well examined car by experts.
Congrats buddy. Wish you happy miles ahead.
I will get the car inspected by experts. but definitely I won't be buying from True Value (Google for several -ve feedbacks) I have my own worst experience from True Value. We had a 2004 Alto STD which had a severe accident. After repairing we exchanged the same for Wagon-R. After a couple of weeks we had a chance to visit True Value for our family friend. Our own car was shown to him claiming it is accident free (those guys were dealing with my Brother when we sold and this time myself and my dad along with his friend visited) There are so many such horror stories available against True Value.
for 2.5 lac budget better look for i10,brio, ritz. these are A segment cars.
When did these cars joined A-Segment buddy?
remember, an 8 lac car stays 8 lac even if you buy it at 3lac and demands maintainace like an 8 lac car!
These were my own words for other members in various threads and forums, anyways thanks.

bhvm

Honoured Member
When did these cars joined A-Segment buddy?

These were my own words for other members in various threads and forums, anyways thanks.
1) I have been personally classifying cars based on a formula of Size , Body type and Features.
Nano,Datsun Go, M800 are -A Segment if you will
i10, WagonR, Ritz are A or A+ segment (depending on variants)
i20 is B segment
Honda city, Ford fiesta,Hyundai xcent is C
Toyota Camry,Ford Mondeo, Skoda superb are D segment.

2) I guess our brains gave same output despite being unaware of each other's sentences[clap]

Well I opted true value because of some very bad experiences from other local dealer. Vikaspuri is a hub of used car near my home, here you can find nano to bmw, jaguar. Even I booked I10 from one of a dealer called 'Best motors' from very same place But when i asked about service records and other documents of car on delivery, Dealer started to make excuses, on further investigation I found car to be involved in some accident and dealer is a fraud. I registered a F.I.R against him and got my booking amount back.

Top Bottom